Dual alternator pin out - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual alternator pin out

Old 02-13-2018, 11:50 AM
Postmaster

brian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to behold
I'm not sure. The recommendation I received from the shop (and the tag attached to the bolt) was to run a cable from the case to the negative terminal of the battery. Since I have dual alternators I ran a ground cable from the each alternator to the closest battery so each battery is directly "attached" to one alternator case.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:01 PM
Post Fiend

Sous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPACamper View Post
I ran a ground wire from the alternator mounting bolt to the grounding bolt through the driver side air intake plenum. So this is all wrong?
Alternator mounting bolt - got it, understand that point

Grounding bolt through the air intake plenum - can you be more specific?

Like Brian, I bought a QuickStart alternator and it came with a bolt on the rear of the case for an additional negative cable to be run to the battery terminal.

I should have some "finished" pictures up on this thread tonight. I will be sure to get a couple close up shots of the negative cable too.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...energized.html
Old 02-13-2018, 12:13 PM
Almost there

ExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sous View Post
Alternator mounting bolt - got it, understand that point

Grounding bolt through the air intake plenum - can you be more specific?

(Link to the post if anyone is curious: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post17190443 )

This bright new stud on the front of the new Riff Raff driver side intake plenum (near the orange glove). It is the original grounding location for the AIH. When I removed it, I used the cable and took the AIH end and put it on the Alternator mounting bolt.

Thought I was being clever, maybe not?