Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant filtration system

Old 01-24-2018, 06:34 PM
kx125str99
Senior User
kx125str99 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Coolant filtration system

hey Guys just came across this coolant filtration system. I have a 2000 f250 just recently hit a 100k miles. I was wondering if you guys recommend using one. I am planning on changing my coolant here soon. Not sure how old it is so wanna give it fresh. I am looking at the xtreme diesel one and the sinister. Let me know what you guys think or prefer. Thanks

Old 01-24-2018, 06:38 PM
Sous
Post Fiend
Sous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant future
If I hadn't bought the IH pump with the integrated filter, I would not add one, but that is just my opinion.

Not sure if you have seen the upper hose that does not go through the belt, but that is something I would recommend.

Old 01-24-2018, 07:34 PM
Colorado350
Posting Guru
Colorado350 has a great reputation on FTE.Colorado350 has a great reputation on FTE.Colorado350 has a great reputation on FTE.Colorado350 has a great reputation on FTE.Colorado350 has a great reputation on FTE.
I put Clay's system on in August with 260K, it was cheaper than anyone else's and has a tap for a temperature probe.

Riffraff Diesel Coolant Filtration System / Filter Kit 99-03 - Riffraff Diesel Performance

Old 01-24-2018, 08:32 PM
duck fan
Because racetruck
duck fan has a brilliant futureduck fan has a brilliant futureduck fan has a brilliant futureduck fan has a brilliant futureduck fan has a brilliant futureduck fan has a brilliant futureduck fan has a brilliant futureduck fan has a brilliant futureduck fan has a brilliant futureduck fan has a brilliant futureduck fan has a brilliant future
I have put a couple of them on from riffraff diesel and sinister. I like the Riffraff best by far though. Completely made in the USA, and the used continental hose and what looks like stainless hose crimps and hose T rather than yellow Chinese brass. Best part is that for the 7.3 they include a whole new replacement bracket rather than some of clamp on, clamp ove cheesy ones like dieselsite and sinister.

Old 01-24-2018, 08:50 PM
timmyboy76
Post Fiend
timmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud of
I definitely would run one. The first one I chg into, looked like a few 12ga rounds of powder were flowing around inside

Old 01-24-2018, 09:01 PM
afonda
Elder User
afonda is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I did the IH water pump conversion. It has an integrated filter that spins on like an oil filter. If you want one, check the school bus parts suppliers. Message me, i may have a part #.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:26 PM
pirschwagon
Elder User
pirschwagon has a very good reputation on FTE.pirschwagon has a very good reputation on FTE.pirschwagon has a very good reputation on FTE.
It wont hurt anything to install it.

If it makes you feel more comfortable, do it.

You can get opinions from just about everyone on just about anything. In this case, they are about 50%/50%

Whatever you do, proper maintenance of the Cooling System is a MUST if you want her to last.

Old 01-24-2018, 10:41 PM
kx125str99
Senior User
kx125str99 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for the input guys. What coolant are you guys using.

Old 01-25-2018, 05:21 AM
ArmyLifer
Senior User
ArmyLifer has a great reputation on FTE.ArmyLifer has a great reputation on FTE.ArmyLifer has a great reputation on FTE.ArmyLifer has a great reputation on FTE.
I’m using Rotella ELC. Read through this thread for more info than you probably want with regards to coolant in your 7.3: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ml#post8935201. You can’t use ELC in certain 7.3’s but I’m not up on the details. It’s in the link.

Old 01-25-2018, 06:02 AM
JayTheCPA
Senior User
JayTheCPA is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Evans waterless.

No apparent difference in performance compared to glycol, but the motor did seem just a tad more quiet with Evans.

There is some back-and-forth about going this route, so do homework first.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:26 AM
Sous
Post Fiend
Sous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant future
E99's should not run ELC.

I run Rotella ELC as well. Concentrate gallon bottles are cheap and easy to get at Tractor Supply if/when I need more.

ELC does not require "maintenance" or additives, so one less thing for me to keep after is the reason why I switched. Also, the red color just looks better than the yellow for my OCD.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:22 AM
Arizona97
Senior User
Arizona97 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Arizona97 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Amazon has a smoking deal on Delo ELC its what I used for years so far so good.
Amazon Amazon
Ed

Old 01-25-2018, 08:25 AM
Sous
Post Fiend
If you have a TSC near...

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...ze-1-gal?rfk=1

If not and like Rotella...

Amazon Amazon

Really comes down to what you prefer to run and/or what you want to spend.

Old 01-25-2018, 10:05 AM
DogRidesInBack
Elder User
DogRidesInBack is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.DogRidesInBack is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Sous View Post
Not sure if you have seen the upper hose that does not go through the belt, but that is something I would recommend.
Apologies for a slight hijack, but...

Since we've moved from the coolant filter to coolant, this seems like a good idea at the next flush (which I need).

Seems like a really good idea in preparation for when the belt needs to be replaced.

Where do I find such a hose?

Old 01-25-2018, 10:09 AM
Sous
Post Fiend

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Coolant filtration system

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.