Headlight bulb upgrade - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Headlight bulb upgrade

Old 01-21-2018, 03:18 PM
Senior User

kdwellssr is starting off with a positive reputation.
Headlight bulb upgrade

I have a 96 F250 and am in need of a new headlight. it is a 65/55 bulb system. I see brighter bulbs available so am wondering if a electrical issue would be created by installing the 80/100w bulbs. Would I need to do some electrical plug upgrades??? would the brighter bulbs work just fine in my system without making additional changes?
Old 01-21-2018, 04:23 PM
Elder User

Ddaybc is starting off with a positive reputation.
Years ago I ran 80/100's on my Toyota 4X4 with no issues. However, our trucks run the power for the headlights through the headlight switch. The OBS headlight switch is known for melting down or sometimes even starting fires when it malfunctions. Therefore I would recommend installing a headlight harness before upgrading to a higher wattage bulb. The harness uses a relay to trigger the lights so they draw directly from the battery or other power source without going directly through the headlight switch. There are lots of threads on here about making or buying one and installing it. It's on my to do list for my 92.

Some people have posted that installing the harness has improved their lights so much they didn't need to upgrade.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:30 PM
Post Fiend

TexasGuy001 has a very good reputation on FTE.TexasGuy001 has a very good reputation on FTE.TexasGuy001 has a very good reputation on FTE.TexasGuy001 has a very good reputation on FTE.
The first and best upgrade is head light relays.

The best bulbs I have used are Phillips Extreme Vision and GE Nighthawk.

Over wattage bulbs are generally a bad idea. They operate too hot and can melt assemblies and connectors etc. Not to mention the fact that it is illegal.

Also stay away from any bulbs that have any sort of coating on them. This includes the popular Silverstar which is garbage.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:13 PM
Senior User

Binkowski is starting off with a positive reputation.
Bronco Graveyard is a site supporter. I bought their headlight relay kit. Well made, easy to install, and obviously better headlights after installation. I'd also recommend wetsanding and covering with a gloss clear to improve the headlights
Old 01-21-2018, 08:26 PM
Elder User

raystankewitz is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.raystankewitz is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binkowski View Post
Bronco Graveyard is a site supporter. I bought their headlight relay kit. Well made, easy to install, and obviously better headlights after installation. I'd also recommend wetsanding and covering with a gloss clear to improve the headlights
Polishing or coating the outside of the headlights only works if the reflector and inside of the lense is still in good shape. At their current age, the OEM assemblies might be toast inside. Mine had the glare shields loose inside the housings, reflective material peeling off and heavy oxidation on the inner surfaces.

New CAPA-certified replacement headlights from any of our vendors and a headlight relay harness would go further than wasting time trying to restore the existing twenty-two year old headlights. I just did this with my truck and the difference is staggering. My headlight harness kit is on order along with some Vosla +100 bulbs.

A note about bulbs; Do not waste your time with any coated bulb. Coatings only diminish the light output. Get a bulb that has a clear capsule for maximum output.

Also, from doing some reading and research, Sylvania bulbs seem to be pretty low on the pecking order. They also seem to be the prevalent brand in most auto parts stores in my area. Philips or Vosla bulbs will most likely have to be ordered from any number of online sources.

Last edited by raystankewitz; 01-21-2018 at 08:28 PM. Reason: make info a bit clearer
Old 01-21-2018, 11:45 PM
Senior User

BLK79 is starting off with a positive reputation.
x3 on headlight relay harness. JBG or LMC Truck. Well worth $$ and super easy install. I did it mainly to save the switch. Full amperage thru switch = not best idea. GM did the same thing thru 98 or so with their GMT 400 (OBS) trucks.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:50 AM
Post Fiend

Diesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant future
Another vote for the relay harness and QUALITY bulbs like Phillips