Roller rockers - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

Roller rockers

Old 01-08-2018, 05:21 PM
fordboy300
Elder User
fordboy300 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Roller rockers

Happy New Year guys!

So I was doing a little day dreaming web surfing as always and I saw these on Summit Racing website.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/scc-scp1059

Thoughts? They're for pedestal mount head so to mount them would you just do like the stock rockers torque to spec. Also they're 1.7 vs 1.6

Old 01-09-2018, 10:38 AM
AbandonedBronco
AbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to all
I looked into those for my build, but since at that point, I already had a pretty big performance cam, I didn't want to increase the lift even more.

Stock lift is 0.398" (with 1.6 rockers) so going to 1.72 would increase that to 0.428". I already had 0.504" and 1.72 would have increased it to 0.542"

My only issue with them would be the pedestal mount. Pedestal mount rockers are great for a stock engine, since everything is already cut and measured, but if you did some head work, the geometry won't line up anymore and you'll have to use shims (which seems like a pain) to get it set just right.

Otherwise, they seem like they'd be a really nice upgrade for a stock engine, especially since the Chevy rocker arm upgrade can only be done on non-pedestal mount heads.

Old 01-09-2018, 02:41 PM
fordboy300
Elder User
Originally Posted by AbandonedBronco View Post
I looked into those for my build, but since at that point, I already had a pretty big performance cam, I didn't want to increase the lift even more.

Stock lift is 0.398" (with 1.6 rockers) so going to 1.72 would increase that to 0.428". I already had 0.504" and 1.72 would have increased it to 0.542"

My only issue with them would be the pedestal mount. Pedestal mount rockers are great for a stock engine, since everything is already cut and measured, but if you did some head work, the geometry won't line up anymore and you'll have to use shims (which seems like a pain) to get it set just right.

Otherwise, they seem like they'd be a really nice upgrade for a stock engine, especially since the Chevy rocker arm upgrade can only be done on non-pedestal mount heads.
Thats a pretty decent amount of lift I have the crower 19212 cam which has a gross lift of .443 on the intake and .448 on exhaust and my head only got a clean up mill but I did a 3 angle valve job with a port and polish job. I would love to try this on my engine. But if it doesn't work out I would be 250 in the hole.

Old 01-09-2018, 02:53 PM
AbandonedBronco
AbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to all
Do you have pedestal rockers on your head? Or are they studs?
If you're using studs, I don't think those would work anyway.

Otherwise, for about $50 more, I went with Harland Sharps on mine and really like them.

Old 01-09-2018, 03:22 PM
fordboy300
Elder User
Originally Posted by AbandonedBronco View Post
Do you have pedestal rockers on your head? Or are they studs?
If you're using studs, I don't think those would work anyway.

Otherwise, for about $50 more, I went with Harland Sharps on mine and really like them.
Yes, I have pedestal mount rockers. I'm super tempted it's bad. Haha!

Old 01-09-2018, 03:37 PM
AbandonedBronco
Just a quick thought. If you're using performance springs, or something similar, they have a spring pressure for when they're completely closed and completely open (with the lift of your cam taken into account). As well as a coil bind (which is the furthest they can open before they are 100% compacted). This is something a head rebuilder would have measured all out (if you had someone do all that work for you).

If you increase the lift, you increase your spring pressure, which puts more pressure on your cam lobes and components. If your spring pressure goes over what the cam is rated for, you could wipe a cam lobe. All of these pressures were taken into account when I was researching springs to go with my high lift cam. (Another reason why I didn't want to go from 1.6 to 1.7 with rockers).

You might totally be in a safe range to do that, but it's something to check first.

Old 01-09-2018, 05:03 PM
fordboy300
Elder User
Oh man. Thanks for mentioning that I honestly didn't think of that I'm gonna have to have a talk with my machinist. It's was five or more years ago that I did the rebuild I dont remember I just remember giving him the cam card and the springs and kit that came with the cam.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:24 PM
F-250 restorer
Post Fiend
F-250 restorer has a good reputation on FTE.F-250 restorer has a good reputation on FTE.F-250 restorer has a good reputation on FTE.
Using the bbc higher ratio rocker moves the p.rod closer to the rocker pivot point, closer to the valve. With your type of head you'll need guide plates, but you can convert to the stud mount type rockers easily. Then you can pick up a set of bbc used rr's for about $100.

I found this a while back: A pedestal mount 300 head can use stud mount rockers if you use a pushrod guidplate conversion kit. I have intsalled it on my 90 cyl head and it all works just fine. Crane part number 36655-16 will give you 3/8 studs and guideplate for 5/16 pushrods. If you go this route hardened pushrods are not required becuse the kit has nylon inserts in the guidplates. I had to mix a couple of kits on mine cause I needed 7/16 studs for BBC rockers I already had. It is best for long life of the nylon inserts if you polish the pushrods to make sure there are no burrs on them. This is easy to do in a drill.
This conversion kit will also make your valvetrain adjustable. Btw, they do make the bbc rockers in 1.6 too.