Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Cold Weather

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 06:51 AM
MoBill122
Papa Smurf
Received 136 Likes on 77 Posts
Cold Weather

Hoping all my friends here on FTE have prepared for this brutal cold snap this week.

Going to be a lot of No Starts for those who haven't prepared for sure !

Old 01-01-2018, 07:05 AM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,972 Likes on 1,107 Posts
Ha ha. Brutal cold. In GA.

It was -15f Saturday night, never got above -2f yesterday, and was -17f when the power went out at 10:59 MST last night and came back on at 12:02 MST this morning.

It's -7 right now as I'm throwing more wood at the stove.
At least the wind's not blowing this 16-17 inches of snow around yet.......

Old 01-01-2018, 07:55 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Originally Posted by cleatus12r

It was -15f Saturday night, never got above -2f yesterday, and was -17f when the power went out at 10:59 MST last night and came back on at 12:02 MST this morning.

I sense a typo somewhere...GA? -17F? I haven't heard Sous claim that he felt like he was back in AK yet.

Old 01-01-2018, 09:34 AM
MoBill122
Papa Smurf
Received 136 Likes on 77 Posts
No... its not - 15F here in GA... 16 F here north of Atlanta.... but normal average this time of year is like 50 F. Wind chills to 0 F tonight they say.

Old 01-01-2018, 09:39 AM
jimjokjv
More Turbo
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
I feel your pain but decided to move from upstate NY to northern Arizona and eliminate mine.
29 degrees for a low last night, 62 and sunny for today.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:06 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
I sense a typo somewhere...GA? -17F? I haven't heard Sous claim that he felt like he was back in AK yet.
No, he was kind of laughing at cold in GA because he is in Montana. Brutal cold in GA doesn't apply compared to MT temps....but still, cold is cold no matter where you live.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:12 AM
Glowplugger
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Our wind chill with 10-30 mph winds was -10 today in OK. Holy flippin' pancakes! I didn't even want to let the dog out to pee. Harmony started up fine, but instead of 3 seconds to start (4 degrees outside) she took 10, and that was after 4 cycles of the Wait to Start light. WHEW!

Hot coffee never tasted so good.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:56 AM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by MoBill122
Hoping all my friends here on FTE have prepared for this brutal cold snap this week.

Going to be a lot of No Starts for those who haven't prepared for sure !
LOL, One of my best friends is a Ranger at Benning, he was whining this morning about the cold too. I called him a pu##y. , We both laughed. This weather pattern is crazy, CO has been in the 60's and NO snow on the Front Range, the mountains are barely getting enough for skiing. Anyone with unwanted Snow and Cold feel free to send it this way!

Old 01-01-2018, 10:59 AM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,972 Likes on 1,107 Posts
I attribute it to "global warming".

Yes, I was making a snarky comment about how it doesn't get "cold" in GA. Heck, I'd love to see 16 degrees right now but I'll have to wait until tomorrow or Wednesday for that.

Besides, why worry about starting vehicles in the cold down there? Doesn't everything in the south shut down when the temperature drops below 40 degrees?

Old 01-01-2018, 11:10 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,853 Posts

Cold is a relative term and I am grateful that we have a choice to live in a "cold" or "warm" climate. To each their own, I will stay right here in chilly GA.

Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
He is talking a bit of smack is all, probably because his bones hurt from the cold up there!

I attribute it to "global warming".

Yes, I was making a snarky comment about how it doesn't get "cold" in GA. Heck, I'd love to see 16 degrees right now but I'll have to wait until tomorrow or Wednesday for that.

Besides, why worry about starting vehicles in the cold down there? Doesn't everything in the south shut down when the temperature drops below 40 degrees?
As Mark mentioned, I have lived NORTH of the arctic circle before, been to Thule, Greenland and the mountains of Afghanistan in January, so I know what cold is. I am good right here in sunny and green GA. Things will shut down if there is snow or freezing rain because of 2 main reasons.

1. People panic and cannot control themselves.
2. The state/city governments do not have the equipment to keep the roads safe and clear.

It is still cold though, but the Subaru is never disappointing in bad weather situations.

Old 01-01-2018, 02:31 PM
Bill Kay
More Turbo
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
that was after 4 cycles of the Wait to Start light.
Glowplugger, Just an FYI, but the glowplugs stay lit for up to two minutes after the wait to start light goes out so cycling the key after the WTS light goes out is not necessary. A lot of people, including myself, install the GPR LED mod just for this reason. The LED is powered by the same terminal on the GPR that energizes the glowplugs so you will know exactly when the relay opens.

Good luck and can't wait to see Harmony's build! You and Sous are probably the two best at documenting the work done to your trucks.

"It's a wet kinda cold down here in Ga" Haha!

Old 01-01-2018, 08:33 PM
Glowplugger
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kay
Glowplugger, Just an FYI, but the glowplugs stay lit for up to two minutes after the wait to start light goes out so cycling the key after the WTS light goes out is not necessary. A lot of people, including myself, install the GPR LED mod just for this reason. The LED is powered by the same terminal on the GPR that energizes the glowplugs so you will know exactly when the relay opens.

Good luck and can't wait to see Harmony's build! You and Sous are probably the two best at documenting the work done to your trucks.

"It's a wet kinda cold down here in Ga" Haha!
Thanks a ton Bill! Seems I dimly remembered that the plugs worked for a while after you mentioned it. I must be getting older.

I found the orange light at Rat Shack today and picked up some extras. Danged ol' place ended up sticking me for $50 worth of stuff I didn't need, but thought I'd use and wanted to snag before they went belly up. Illuminated toggle switches are so cool in a boat.

I'll probably get this mod installed in the next couple of weeks depending on the Redhead's schedule.

Old 01-02-2018, 12:26 AM
Stebs
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Negative something here in e. Kansas last night with wind chill of -24... woke up this morning to frozen water line... also received a county alert that a nearby town was without water due to a frozen line...

Weather man said a city in Iowa last night had a windchill of -50.

Old 01-02-2018, 05:56 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Big "meh" in the PNW... we're fine here.

If I were hangin' out with Cody this week, I'd bring the thermal underwear, snow suit, nerdy snow hat with ear muffs, gloves, and snowy hill toys. It's too cold to target practice... my fingies would freeze.

Old 01-02-2018, 07:35 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,853 Posts
I heard the term "Milk Sandwiches" a few years ago from another active duty member and laughed so hard, because in the south it is true...

Quick Reply: Cold Weather