Running rough - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Running rough

Old 12-29-2017, 12:49 PM
Junior User

TruckinFORDstyle is starting off with a positive reputation.
Running rough

Hey guys ,
About a week ago . I poured some seafoam in some old gas thinking it would somehow revive the fuel and dumped about 5gallons of it my truck . I drove it for a few days and then it started running really bad . It bogged down when I touched the throttle and would buck down the highway like some of the cylinders werenít firing . After hoping I could just use the fuel and fill it with some high octane afterwards and then realizing that wasnít happening I drained the fuel , or at least all I could without removing the tank . There was probably 1/2 gallon left in there . And filled it with 5 gallons of premium and let it run for 10min and the drove it . I live on a hill and the whole way down it it was backfiring . I took it on some backroads and left it in 2nd and drove at 2500rpm for about 1min and it was still bucking and backfiring worse than before till it backfired so big it stalled . It started up again pretty easy and seemed to run a little better . Is this still fuel related or is something else wrong now ?
Old 12-29-2017, 02:06 PM
Shiftoholic

Freightrain has much to be proud ofFreightrain has much to be proud ofFreightrain has much to be proud ofFreightrain has much to be proud ofFreightrain has much to be proud ofFreightrain has much to be proud ofFreightrain has much to be proud ofFreightrain has much to be proud ofFreightrain has much to be proud of
Looked at the plugs lately? Might be fouled from burning all the crap.
Old 12-29-2017, 02:08 PM
Junior User

Yes I took them all out and cleaned them . They werenít very dirty.
Old 12-29-2017, 03:57 PM
Post Fiend

Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
?? Don't do that. Was the old fuel in the tank already or? Guess it doesn't matter much now. Stale varnished fuel coats intake parts with a kind of glue, it can cause stuck valves and bent pushrods.
Old 12-29-2017, 04:16 PM
Junior User

I put it in there . So if I havenít damaged my pushrods can I spray seafoam in there and it will clean out the intake ?
Old 12-29-2017, 10:44 PM
Junior User

How likely is it that I bent my pushrods ? How would it run if they are bent ?
Old 12-29-2017, 10:55 PM
Post Fiend

Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
Hm, tough to say for sure what the problem is, but popping and backfiring through carb and general ****tiness would result.

I'd maybe pull the valve covers and turn the engine over with a breaker bar on the crank. Observe the valve train carefully. How old was the fuel??

What can happen, the stuff will burn OK, or seems to. Then after the engine cools down and sits overnight say - the next time ya go to start it, the push rods all fold over like spaghetti because the valves are stuck in the guides or whatever. Guess I'd be inclined to use MMO, only because I'm more familiar with that.

Maybe that's all a coincidence and something else is going on here, but it is a known problem that running old, stale or varnished fuel can cause trouble, just as you describe. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Hope I'm wrong. Let us know what you find though...
Old 12-30-2017, 12:37 AM
Freshman User

GreyScar is starting off with a positive reputation.
I don't know about bent pushrods, but backfiring will sure blow the power valve in the Carb. then it will run exactly the way you explain.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:48 AM
Junior User

Dang ,donít tell me to take my valve covers off lol itíll be 5į out tomorrow and snowing and I have no place to work indoors . I had them off earlier this summer and took me three tries to get them to seal what if I just turn my engine over by hand to make sure everything is freed up then get some seafoam that I can dump in my fuel and some seafoam spray and follow their directions on cleaning it out ? I donít want to be cutting corners so let me know if itís
Important that I check other stuff out first .

What is the power valve ? And how would I check it ? The backfires seemed like they were through the exhaust (not pasative ) if that makes a difference
Old 12-30-2017, 12:06 PM
Posting Guru

TeachNlive4ever has a very good reputation on FTE.TeachNlive4ever has a very good reputation on FTE.TeachNlive4ever has a very good reputation on FTE.TeachNlive4ever has a very good reputation on FTE.
Let’s qualify the back fire. Did I’d go “BANG” out the back or did it go poof from under the hood?
Old 12-30-2017, 12:15 PM
Post Fiend

Keep in mind none of us have seen the truck or know the deal. All we can go by is your description, the info you provide. It could be that your only problem with the truck is a bum ignition points condenser. "Could be."

It's just that you specifically mentioned pouring 5 gallons of old gas into the tank and then ... that's when the trouble began.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:32 PM
Posting Guru

TeachNlive4ever has a very good reputation on FTE.TeachNlive4ever has a very good reputation on FTE.TeachNlive4ever has a very good reputation on FTE.TeachNlive4ever has a very good reputation on FTE.
2X ^^^^^
I was thinking if itís out the back, itís could be power to the coil. But the possibilities are off the chart. Therefore, we are going to shake you down like a $2 alley **** and get all the info from you before we start throwing parts at it and hope one sticks.
Old 12-30-2017, 08:00 PM
Junior User

By backfire I mean itís coming out the back of my truck . I understand that you guys can only throw ideas out from what Iíve told you And I appreciate all the ideas you guys give me . So ask away...
Old 12-30-2017, 08:08 PM
Posting Guru

Filthy Beast has a good reputation on FTE.Filthy Beast has a good reputation on FTE.Filthy Beast has a good reputation on FTE.
"ASK away...."

What year vehicle?
What engine/carb?
Points ignition system? Or a change?
Exhaust logs or headers?
Old 12-30-2017, 08:27 PM
Junior User

Haha ... 68 f250 hiboy . I think its actualy a 68 body and engine on a 72 frame. At least thatís what the guy told me when I bought it . Itís got a 390 with a 4bbl carb . I believe it has points and it has manifolds . Hopefully headers soon