6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

6.7 speed limiter

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 08:27 PM
cappa
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maxtor
Sure like your Mustang. Good choice.

Vortech supercharger, new clutch, larger injectors, higher volume fuel pump, inter cooler, and a few other goodies, all from A&A Corvette in Oxnard Ca.
They installed their kit and did the dyno runs.
Wicked setup on the vette. I've heard the A&A is the best kit out there for that car. I was pretty picky when I was looking, probably why I didn't find the right one. I was only shopping for A&A or Paxton novi.

Old 12-10-2017, 08:49 PM
maxtor
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cappa
Wicked setup on the vette. I've heard the A&A is the best kit out there for that car. I was pretty picky when I was looking, probably why I didn't find the right one. I was only shopping for A&A or Paxton novi.
I think you made the best choice. Yes the Corvette is more aerodynamic than the Mustang, and probably will have the higher top end speed if the horsepower is equal, but I think the Mustang has the cool factor and is the better choice.

Old 12-10-2017, 09:13 PM
'65Ford
Cargo Master
Received 253 Likes on 183 Posts
It's time for you to give it a rest.
Agreed. I've said my piece.

I'm not too interested in the mustang or corvette but have a soft spot for FE's and diesels. My '02 diesel will never be on par with a 6.7, but still enjoy what for me is an academic study of diesel truck mods. Sounds like there are tuners for what you want to do.

FWIW, I like to drop the hammer on my 500+hp FE when no one is looking...I just never get near the speeds you're talking. I don't have the experience with speed the way you do. I get scared with all the guys out there thinking they know speed but don't. Doesn't help knowing the condition of many cars/trucks out there...leaf springs sticking through the bed, both front tires flat, no rear brake rotors and all of them flying down the freeway...no lie, saw this and more myself. I'm guessing you know as well as I do it's all out there. Don't hesitate to share your experience/knowledge with new drivers. Obviously I don't care if some guys don't want to hear it. You'd be helping more than you probably realize.

Old 12-10-2017, 09:53 PM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Lubbockguy1979
Total agreement. With speed limits at 80 and 85mph in texas.. it happens. Try passing some one when you have a limited strech to accomplish that. When passing slow trucks on a 2 lane ive seen well north of 100mph. I dont prefer to hand around in on comming traffic. That is unsafe. Hammer down, pass then let off and back to cruising speed. My 6.0 was tuned and didnt have that limiter any more.... or the stupid advance track that you cant shut off
Didn't know that any state has speed limits of 85mph. I run my truck a lot around 80mph on the freeways when traveling. That's 10 mph over the limit here. I'd have to get used to 90-95mph driving the beast. With speeds like this, could use a few more gears to bring down the empty cruising RPMs.

Bruce...

Old 12-10-2017, 10:35 PM
jav_eee
Laughing Gas
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by my_crib_too
Didn't know that any state has speed limits of 85mph. I run my truck a lot around 80mph on the freeways when traveling. That's 10 mph over the limit here. I'd have to get used to 90-95mph driving the beast. With speeds like this, could use a few more gears to bring down the empty cruising RPMs.

Bruce...
Like I said, the toll road near Austin is 85. Even the semis exceed that by 5 or 10 mph.

Attached Images  
Old 12-10-2017, 10:58 PM
maxtor
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by '65Ford
Agreed. I've said my piece.

I'm not too interested in the mustang or corvette but have a soft spot for FE's and diesels. My '02 diesel will never be on par with a 6.7, but still enjoy what for me is an academic study of diesel truck mods. Sounds like there are tuners for what you want to do.

FWIW, I like to drop the hammer on my 500+hp FE when no one is looking...I just never get near the speeds you're talking. I don't have the experience with speed the way you do. I get scared with all the guys out there thinking they know speed but don't. Doesn't help knowing the condition of many cars/trucks out there...leaf springs sticking through the bed, both front tires flat, no rear brake rotors and all of them flying down the freeway...no lie, saw this and more myself. I'm guessing you know as well as I do it's all out there. Don't hesitate to share your experience/knowledge with new drivers. Obviously I don't care if some guys don't want to hear it. You'd be helping more than you probably realize.
500+ hp is very good power for a FE. I also have a love for FE's as you know.
Our Falcon originally had a modified 428cj before we purchased the 511ci FE.

As for training to learn how to drive a persons car, "Hooked on Driving" has some great instructors that show drivers how to negotiate a road course with their own cars. I had been racing for years and I took this course and learned finer nuances of my car and the course. Always room to learn more.
Another source of driving training I recommend to friends is to attend a parking lot auto cross like
Trinity Touring Club

Speeds seldom exceed 40 mph and you can learn a tremendous amount about your car while honing your driving skills.

https://www.hookedondriving.com/hook...driving-events

A person will quickly learn the limitations of their vehicle and their driving skills, so they can improve both.
At 75 years old, I am not as good as I used to be, but because of these types of training courses, I am better than I would have been without them.
As you implied, safety with your equipment and your driving habits is paramount. Our Falcon has the best safety equipment I could buy. 75 year old bones break easily.

Old 12-10-2017, 11:26 PM
maxtor
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by my_crib_too

Bruce...
I don't know about others, but how I drive my vehicles depends on the road conditions, weather, time of day and how I feel about each particular vehicle we own. For example;

2014 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, I normally keep the speed at 65-70 mph or below on a freeway. It does not feel safe driving it any faster.
2012 Ford F250 psd I normally drive it at 70 mph on the freeway and it feels much more controllable and stable than the Jeep especially between 70-80 mph.

If I get a speed limit removal program, and it was to hit 100 mph, it would only be for a couple of seconds until I passed the car I was trying to pass, then let off the throttle and let the speed bleed off until I get back to 70 mph. I would think that our trucks brakes would not like to be worked hard at 100 mph. Maybe someone else has experience with the brakes at 100 mph.

2002 Supercharged Corvette, I normally drive it 70-85 mph on the freeway depending on traffic etc. It feels firm and safe at all speeds up to and including 178 mph which I did on a race track.
2007 Ford Focus sts, 70 mph on freeway. Very stable.
1960 Falcon, Feels scary all the way to 148 mph in the quarter mile. At least it only lasts for 9 seconds.
My point is, it also depends on the vehicle I am driving in, how fast or slow I drive.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:55 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
It's time for you to give it a rest.
If you read my posts you would see that I only want to get around that last car without loosing power.
Take the time to read my posts.
I've read each of your posts. I understand that you want to pass without losing power.

Have you read my post, above? Are you concerned with losing power if the driveshaft fails? I can tell you from personal experience if you exceed the critical speed of a driveshaft there isn't time to get the truck slowed back under that speed before it destroys itself. Once it starts vibrating above critical speed you have one to two seconds to get it back under that speed to have any hope of not scattering the driveshaft all over the road.

Old 12-11-2017, 10:07 AM
maxtor
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
I've read each of your posts. I understand that you want to pass without losing power.

Have you read my post, above? Are you concerned with losing power if the driveshaft fails? I can tell you from personal experience if you exceed the critical speed of a driveshaft there isn't time to get the truck slowed back under that speed before it destroys itself. Once it starts vibrating above critical speed you have one to two seconds to get it back under that speed to have any hope of not scattering the driveshaft all over the road.
That would not be much fun, thanks for your input. There are other factors that contribute to a drive shaft failure including U joint condition, physical damage from an earlier incident, modifications from stock height, etc.

Old 12-11-2017, 10:39 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Each of those can lower the critical speed. A brand new, stock, undamaged driveshaft will fail if it exceeds the critical speed.

Old 12-11-2017, 10:49 AM
maxtor
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
Each of those can lower the critical speed. A brand new, stock, undamaged driveshaft will fail if it exceeds the critical speed.
There are calculations which can generally approximate a drive shaft critical speed. If you have ever gone to a drag strip, you will see modified diesel pickups with stock drive shafts going 110 plus without failure do to reaching critical speed. I am not recommending driving our pickups at that speed, just suggesting that if you have a good well maintained driveshaft on a newer truck, you should not have a problem at that speed for a short period. You also have to take into consideration that under hard acceleration, your transmission has downshifted and is not in sixth gear.
You can do the math here.

Driveshaft RPM Calculator

or here.

Driveshaft Safe Operating RPM Calculator | Spicer Parts

Old 12-11-2017, 10:52 PM
Lubbockguy1979
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I think the driveline will hold together.

Old 12-11-2017, 11:57 PM
maxtor
Posting Guru

Isn't it amazing that these heavy pickups are going so quick and fast. Massive horsepower.

Old 12-12-2017, 08:10 AM
'65Ford
Cargo Master
Received 253 Likes on 183 Posts
Driveline hoops are mandatory at the speed in the video or they don't let you race.

Mark Kovalsky isn't trying to rain on the parade. He's an engineer who did tranny development at Ford.

Shawn Ellerton (guy in the video) is no amateur at modifying diesel pickups.

Old 12-12-2017, 09:02 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

I'm not saying he should do this or not do this. I'm pointing out that if one exceeds the speed limit that the manufacturer placed on the vehicle one should be aware of the reasons that speed limiter is there.

Quick Reply: 6.7 speed limiter