Ford F3 Project - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Ford F3 Project

Old 12-24-2017, 03:08 PM
Silver54
Elder User
Silver54 has much to be proud ofSilver54 has much to be proud ofSilver54 has much to be proud ofSilver54 has much to be proud ofSilver54 has much to be proud ofSilver54 has much to be proud ofSilver54 has much to be proud ofSilver54 has much to be proud ofSilver54 has much to be proud of
I’m just going to bump this thread up for you Steve and hopefully someone that has a better idea than I do will help you out.

Old 01-27-2018, 09:20 PM
Steve Harlow
Junior User
Steve Harlow is starting off with a positive reputation.

got the truck a new home. Now i can actually work on it before june.

Also were the beds typically welded together into one piece? I was expecting the three sides to bolt together but it's all welded into one piece. Was that factory or is this a farmyard "**** it that'll do" kind of fix?

The weld along the rear crossmember is a booger weld, but the actual joining welds on the cab side posts are pretty good so i'm not sure what's going on here.

Old 04-23-2018, 02:01 AM
Steve Harlow
Junior User
Well, been going slow. Been buying up parts and stockpiling them, waiting for the weather to warm up since i can't start grinding, finishing and painting the guts of the thing until it's 20 degrees out, and it's barely cracking 12 at the moment.

But i got a donor truck. It's got the 302 and ford 4 speed manual with OD, effectively a five speed, plus an 8.8 inch i'll be porting over. Bought some GT40p heads from the junkyard, on the hunt for a 650CFM carb and dual plane intake manifold, gonna shell out for a motor mount kit soon and drop in the motor. After that i'll have to wait for the summer heat to paint the underside of it, and it's nickle and dime stuff after that.

Also had the jaguar out today, couldn't help but put them side by side. Beauty and the Beast, together at last.

Old 05-18-2018, 06:16 PM
Steve Harlow
Junior User

All the good things in life show up in nondescript cardboard boxes.

Just waiting on the clutch to show up and the motor's free to go in

Old 05-18-2018, 07:16 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
Merry Christmas Steve!

Old 05-18-2018, 07:41 PM
Steve Harlow
Junior User
600CFM of merry, indeed.

Old 05-20-2018, 12:52 AM
Steve Harlow
Junior User

Longtube? Longtube.

Old 05-28-2018, 01:23 PM
Steve Harlow
Junior User
Rare Parts Shackle Pin Kit 35739 - FCRC Machine

So i found a set of pins being offered for the F3 rear leafs. And it's the only set i can find for the F3. Nothing on Mid50, nothing on Dennis Carpenter, nothing on LMC truck, nothing on summit etc. But this site claims to make them.

Trouble is, man that website looks kinda sketchy. And the little application list lists the F2 and F3, but all of the people selling F2 pin kits say that F2 pins won't fit the F3. So what the hell.

Iunno man. Does this look legit, and if not, anyone know what to do for F3 shackle pins? The rear ones on the truck right now look like they were just dredged up from the ocean. The front pins are available, but the front pins on the truck are pretty healthy.

Old 05-28-2018, 01:33 PM
truckdog62563
Post Fiend
truckdog62563 has a brilliant futuretruckdog62563 has a brilliant futuretruckdog62563 has a brilliant futuretruckdog62563 has a brilliant futuretruckdog62563 has a brilliant futuretruckdog62563 has a brilliant futuretruckdog62563 has a brilliant futuretruckdog62563 has a brilliant futuretruckdog62563 has a brilliant futuretruckdog62563 has a brilliant futuretruckdog62563 has a brilliant future
F-2 and F-3 are the same. Call Chuck, he’ll fix you up. Stu

Chucks Trucks LLC., Chuck's Trucks, Chucks Trucks

Old 05-29-2018, 06:11 AM
ben73058
Postmaster
ben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to behold
Hey Steve,
We swapped out the rear axle in our '50 F1 with an 8.8 from a 2001 Explorer. It sounds pretty daunting
but it wasn't bad. It should be about a (1) weekend job. That would be a pretty good place to start as you
begin your upgrades. We used the Explorer Springs and emergency brake as well.

Good luck up there.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 05-29-2018, 02:03 PM
Steve Harlow
Junior User
Originally Posted by ben73058 View Post
Hey Steve,
We swapped out the rear axle in our '50 F1 with an 8.8 from a 2001 Explorer. It sounds pretty daunting
but it wasn't bad. It should be about a (1) weekend job. That would be a pretty good place to start as you
begin your upgrades. We used the Explorer Springs and emergency brake as well.

Good luck up there.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Yeah it's getting the rear end and driveline out of this thing, pretty sure it's the same rear end as the explorer.

However i'm keeping the stock springs because i want to keep as much of the original truck as possible, fabbing on the new springs and mounts is a little outside of the scope of my tent, and the frame and springs from the donor truck are pretty FUBAR anyway, so why bother.

And truckdog, i'll check out Chuck's Trucks, the prices seem to be the best. Hopefully i can get the bulk kit pricing on the F2 parts, since despite the f2 parts individually only being a few dollars more than the F1, not buying the kit comes out at about 170 bucks compared to 60 for the F1 kit, which is weird.

Old 06-18-2018, 12:27 AM
Steve Harlow
Junior User

Things are happening.

Old 06-24-2018, 09:22 PM
Steve Harlow
Junior User
Question time, does anyone know of a junkyard source for water pump pulleys with serpentine belt grooves in it?

I'm just running the alternator, belt tensioner and water pump, which means the water pump now goes directly to the crank. I got the correct right hand turning water pump (at least when summit provides my exchange for the first pump they sent with the wrong ports on it, despite the correct pump in the part listing), but i need a serpentine belt groove pulley, and the only stuff i can find is super fancy junk for racecars that'll put me out 160 bucks on what should be a 5 dollar part. I got a buddy who claims in the early 80's he had a crown vic with a right hand serpentine water pump, but i can't find anything. Anyone know where i could look, or what model car i can start searching around for?

Old 06-24-2018, 09:38 PM
matthewq4b
Postmaster
matthewq4b has a great reputation on FTE.matthewq4b has a great reputation on FTE.matthewq4b has a great reputation on FTE.matthewq4b has a great reputation on FTE.matthewq4b has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Steve Harlow View Post
Question time, does anyone know of a junkyard source for water pump pulleys with serpentine belt grooves in it?

I'm just running the alternator, belt tensioner and water pump, which means the water pump now goes directly to the crank. I got the correct right hand turning water pump (at least when summit provides my exchange for the first pump they sent with the wrong ports on it, despite the correct pump in the part listing), but i need a serpentine belt groove pulley, and the only stuff i can find is super fancy junk for racecars that'll put me out 160 bucks on what should be a 5 dollar part. I got a buddy who claims in the early 80's he had a crown vic with a right hand serpentine water pump, but i can't find anything. Anyone know where i could look, or what model car i can start searching around for?
Crown Vic Grand Marquis prior to 84 or till 91 with the the 351W

Old 06-28-2018, 05:00 PM
Steve Harlow
Junior User

So i bought this brake conversion kit from summit, to the ultimate tune of 700 bucks.

Guess how much of it showed up?

One brake rotor.

Nothing under the rotor. Nothing double packaged. Just one rotor.

I am not enthused.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ford F3 Project

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.