Delete kits?? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Delete kits??

Old 11-16-2017, 08:32 AM
J ballan
Posting Guru
J ballan has a good reputation on FTE.J ballan has a good reputation on FTE.J ballan has a good reputation on FTE.
Delete kits??

Hello everybody, I've been having lots of trouble with my 2013 F550s DEF system. The truck now has around 170 000kms on it so it's off of warranty. Just wondering who makes the best DEF delete kits and what should all be included? Also those of you that are deleted already what kind of mileage increase did you get? This is a work truck to reliability is most important. Thanks

Old 11-16-2017, 08:10 PM
J ballan
Posting Guru
J ballan has a good reputation on FTE.J ballan has a good reputation on FTE.J ballan has a good reputation on FTE.
Nobody?? I can't seem to find a kit for a F550 anyways. Maybe nobody makes them. They are different that the F350s and F250s. Less power and a single turbo I believe.

Old 11-16-2017, 09:38 PM
Bugize
Senior User
Bugize is starting off with a positive reputation.
I took mine to a shop to have it deleted and tuned. I got about 2MPG better on main roads, my interstate mpg went down a little....I gained about 60 hp and 100lbs torque..

Old 11-16-2017, 10:56 PM
Sterling6.7
Senior User
Sterling6.7 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Sterling6.7 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
At a minimum, you will need a tuner and a race pipe. Being a 550, you will probably need to extend the race pipe to get the right length, but that may depend on which brand of pipe. I'm not sure if the same DPF was used between all wheelbases, but I would think it would be. The tuning is available, but it may require some additional hard parts to be replaced.

Old 11-17-2017, 07:48 AM
J ballan
Posting Guru
Thanks for the help. Wonder what happens to all the sensors and crap that were hooked into the exhaust? Do they just get tied up somewhere? How about the def tank can it be removed?

Old 11-17-2017, 10:33 AM
graysonp
Freshman User
graysonp is starting off with a positive reputation.
Nobody really makes delete kits for any of these trucks. You basically just piece together what you want/need. The process for a 550 is no different than any of the smaller trucks.

All you really need is a tuner with a delete tune and then an exhaust pipe to replace the DPF assembly. You need to unplug the EGR at a minimum, or you can buy the parts to completely delete it or block it off.

Sensors can be tied to the frame or you can unplug them and just tie up the connectors.

You can remove the DEF tank afterwards.

Old 11-17-2017, 11:04 AM
J ballan
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by graysonp View Post
Nobody really makes delete kits for any of these trucks. You basically just piece together what you want/need. The process for a 550 is no different than any of the smaller trucks.

All you really need is a tuner with a delete tune and then an exhaust pipe to replace the DPF assembly. You need to unplug the EGR at a minimum, or you can buy the parts to completely delete it or block it off.

Sensors can be tied to the frame or you can unplug them and just tie up the connectors.

You can remove the DEF tank afterwards.
Right on. Thanks for the help.

Old 11-17-2017, 11:59 AM
J ballan
Posting Guru
So say I order a programmer for a 6.7. Will I be able to shut off the emissions crap without a tune or will I need a performance tune to be installed at the same time? Do they come with canned tunes like the older ones used to? Thanks again.

Old 11-17-2017, 03:43 PM
graysonp
Freshman User
graysonp is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by J ballan View Post
So say I order a programmer for a 6.7. Will I be able to shut off the emissions crap without a tune or will I need a performance tune to be installed at the same time? Do they come with canned tunes like the older ones used to? Thanks again.
You can't just shut it off with the programmer. You need to load a delete tune. The canned tunes that come on the programmer will be written for emissions-on tuning. You can get delete tunes that don't add power and just turn the emissions off.

Check out No Limit Fabrication or Alligator Performance, or any other performance diesel shop. They will sell you a tuner with the delete tune(s) of your choice already loaded so all you have to do is plug it in.

Old 11-18-2017, 10:56 AM
cangim
Postmaster
cangim has a good reputation on FTE.cangim has a good reputation on FTE.cangim has a good reputation on FTE.
key point is where or who to be more specific did the tuning, I went through rudy's diesel, the tune is okay, not enough that I would replace but I also would like a better trans strategy. I only run the tow tune, added a resonator and 40" donaldson muffler, no issues with sensors and almost as quiet as stock. It does have more whistle above 1800rpm, which is kinda cool.

Being a 550, I would suggest you make phone calls prior to ordering, ensure you are getting what you want and is going to work with your truck.

Old 11-18-2017, 11:39 AM
J ballan
Posting Guru
Looks like my boss (truck owner) has booked it in to a local shop. Not sure all the details but sounds like a 60hp tune and delete. I will fill you in next week after we get the truck back. Looking forward to no CEL. thanks again everybody.

Old 11-21-2017, 06:40 PM
hard3
New User
hard3 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I did a delete on my 2011 F550 a while back and am still at odds with the tuner. I am still getting a P1551 DTC code and the programmers can't seem to figure out how to get rid of it. I am using an SCT x4 programmer with a special tow tune. I did the EGR delete as well. Be cautioned that the titanium 6mm bolts to the exhaust manifold are prone to breaking. The exhaust pipe was almost correct length, except the hanger was welded in the wrong place to use the factory hanger. I ended up cutting about 4 inches off the back of the front pipe and then subbed in a 4 inch glass pack. I put in a heavy duty hanger behind the muffler to take out some of the bounce in the exhaust. My MPG went up from 6.3 to 8.4 with the same load on the same road. Now if I can only get rid of this blasted CEL. Pain in butt having to clear code every time you drive . It is a tune from No-Limits , but purchased from one of thier vendors . They have worked on it for 4 months and sent 4 different tunes, but still can't get rid of the DTC code, but clearing it will last until next key cycle.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:36 PM
J ballan
Posting Guru
Got the truck back from the shop. No engine light so far. Looks like a straight pipe was welded in and he said a 50hp tune was installed. Not sure who wrote the tunes but wow what a difference. Maybe I've had something wrong with this truck for a long long time but the power has doubled I would say. I've always been disappointed with the power of this truck since new but not anymore. Also sounds really good. Happy guy so far.

Old 11-21-2017, 10:37 PM
Bugize
Senior User
Bugize is starting off with a positive reputation.
That's normal, I had to re-learn my truck all over again. Now....After you run it for 500-1000 miles, you may want to think about a oil change, all the regen stuff has made the oil that's in there more sooty and dirty than a deleted engine will. I ran mine 500 miles then changed the oil.