Dabbling in oil brands? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dabbling in oil brands?

Old 11-17-2017, 03:06 PM
shawnw17
Junior User
shawnw17 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Dabbling in oil brands?

Who tries different oils in their engine, and is it a bad thing to switch back and forth? I've been running Valvoline PBE and with the recent rebates on Rotella thought I'd give it a shot. I had one sample tested by Blackstone and beyond the break-in material still working its way out of my motor they said I could easily run 10K or more on my oil. I don't intend to go that long between changes, but it's good to know this oil is doing well.

So what say you? Who dabbles in different brands?

Thanks,
Shawn

Old 11-17-2017, 03:57 PM
'65Ford
Posting Guru
'65Ford is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Many oil brands meet the same specs. However, meeting the same specs does not mean each brand oil is the same formula and they are not tested for compatibility with each other. Also, various brands are not tested in engines as blends. The additive packages used in different brands may or may not interfere with each other or destabilize each other.

In other words, it doesn't matter too much which brand you choose so long as they meet the specs required by your engine, tranny, etc; just don't switch from brand to brand.

Old 11-17-2017, 06:05 PM
shawnw17
Junior User
Originally Posted by '65Ford View Post
Many oil brands meet the same specs. However, meeting the same specs does not mean each brand oil is the same formula and they are not tested for compatibility with each other. Also, various brands are not tested in engines as blends. The additive packages used in different brands may or may not interfere with each other or destabilize each other.

In other words, it doesn't matter too much which brand you choose so long as they meet the specs required by your engine, tranny, etc; just don't switch from brand to brand.
Sorry - I should have clarified better. I'm not looking to blend oils. I'm inquiring as to the practicality and potential issues associated with trying different brands for each oil change. I've always assumed the volume of oil remaining in the motor after draining is so inconsequential that trying a different brand wouldn't be an issue. I've seen others mention trying different oils as well.

Part of this is justified by me being cheap. Part of this is justified by my fascination with the oil test from Blackstone and a desire to see how the truck performs/tests with different brands.

The money is inconsequential for the most part though. A jug of T6 can be had for ~$15 after rebates. My Valvoline PBE was $19-20 when I bought it on sale last. I don't even need oil right now actually - I have a stock pile, but it doesn't hurt to have more.

Old 11-17-2017, 06:57 PM
'65Ford
Posting Guru
'65Ford is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I don't know how much oil stays either but wild guess at least a quart between the oil cooler, turbo, and other little places. The risk you'd be taking is probably small but reward is even smaller. Unless you're going to dismantle the engine and check wear or send used oil samples to a lab it will be hard to realize any benefit or differences. Can always watch sales, buy oil in bulk, etc to save money. I'm a chemist and formulator and I've spoken with chemists who test oil for a career. They tell me the same...choose an oil and stick with it. A whole lot of science goes into oil and every additive has to work together.

Old 11-17-2017, 10:21 PM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant future
I used to be brand loyal, but now I'm at the point that I don't care. I want something that is easy to get, meets spec, is inexpensive and easy to pour. I don't know about other brands but Valvoline PBE cannot be found in quart bottles. I really don't like opening an entire gallon when all I need is a quart.

I was impressed with Blackstone Lab's conclusion that oil is oil as long as it is the same type (syn vs dino, same viscosity, etc). That alone cured me of my rabid loyalty to AMSOil.

AMSOil has stated on their web site that mixing oil from different brands is OK. Their caveat to that is that you won't get the full benefit of having the crankcase 100% full of their stuff.

My first oil change was to Valvoline PBE 5w-40. The engine seemed louder after that change, but subsequent to that first startup I haven't notice it.

Old 11-18-2017, 09:14 AM
shawnw17
Junior User
How has testing been since with PBE? Have you tried T6 at all? Iím OCD usually and buy enough jugs to balance out the need for 13 quarts.

Old 11-18-2017, 08:00 PM
willydmax
Senior User
willydmax is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by HRTKD View Post
I used to be brand loyal, but now I'm at the point that I don't care. I want something that is easy to get, meets spec, is inexpensive and easy to pour. I don't know about other brands but Valvoline PBE cannot be found in quart bottles. I really don't like opening an entire gallon when all I need is a quart.

I was impressed with Blackstone Lab's conclusion that oil is oil as long as it is the same type (syn vs dino, same viscosity, etc). That alone cured me of my rabid loyalty to AMSOil.

AMSOil has stated on their web site that mixing oil from different brands is OK. Their caveat to that is that you won't get the full benefit of having the crankcase 100% full of their stuff.

My first oil change was to Valvoline PBE 5w-40. The engine seemed louder after that change, but subsequent to that first startup I haven't notice it.
Not trying to stir up any controversy but...the Blackstone report came to that conclusion mostly by checking the wear metals of each oil sample. There is a lot more to oil then the wear metals testing. Long term, some oils will sludge or build up varnish etc. I did think there test was interesting though

Old 11-19-2017, 03:02 PM
ngng
Elder User
ngng has a good reputation on FTE.ngng has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by shawnw17 View Post
How has testing been since with PBE? Have you tried T6 at all? Iím OCD usually and buy enough jugs to balance out the need for 13 quarts.
I used T6 in all my vehicles...but I think they have been changing their formulation? So I'm not sure what I'm going to use once I use the rest of my stock pile

Old 11-21-2017, 08:05 PM
bigredtruckmi
Post Fiend
bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by ngng View Post
I used T6 in all my vehicles...but I think they have been changing their formulation? So I'm not sure what I'm going to use once I use the rest of my stock pile
You might want to look at the approved ford brands and blends. Some are not approved due to excess wear. Google 6.7 approved oil

Old 11-22-2017, 04:35 AM
harmanrk
Senior User
harmanrk is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by bigredtruckmi View Post
Originally Posted by ngng View Post
You might want to look at the approved ford brands and blends. Some are not approved due to excess wear. Google 6.7 approved oil
https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrican...SSM2C171F1.pdf

T6 was on the list released 8/30, and at least the one before that.

-- Go Comets.

Old 11-22-2017, 11:17 AM
shawnw17
Junior User