Death wobble, already! - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Death wobble, already!

Old 11-01-2017, 12:08 PM
Snowman 8
Senior User
Snowman 8 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Death wobble, already!

My 2017 F350 with 21000 miles has the death wobble. Has anyone else had this problem with so few miles? If so what did you do to remedy it?
My 2006 Super Duty never gave me any troubles, my 2011 Super Duty would start giving me trouble about every 50 - 60,000 miles. On my 2011 they would replace the track bar ball joint and bushing and I was good for another 50 - 60,00 miles. Now this truck is doing it at 21,000!!! This is going to suck to have to deal with this every 20,000 miles! Maybe a track bar ball joint and bushing should be part of my oil changes!?! LOL. It seems like we are going backwards!

Old 11-01-2017, 12:54 PM
BII Plow Truck
Elder User
BII Plow Truck is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Ahhhhh the famous, non-brand specific, age-old, solid axle issue.....I'd pay extra for IFS.

Old 11-01-2017, 01:14 PM
Ricohman
Posting Guru
Ricohman has a good reputation on FTE.Ricohman has a good reputation on FTE.
The reason I buy these trucks is for the solid axle.
I do not want IFS in my truck.
My Focus wagon is suitable for IFS.....
To the OP. Do you have any type of "level" kit?

Old 11-01-2017, 01:22 PM
Tricon
Postmaster
Tricon has a good reputation on FTE.Tricon has a good reputation on FTE.Tricon has a good reputation on FTE.
If that joint is really going out already (maybe it just needs to be re-torqued to 406lbs?) then I would consider investing in an aftermarket track bar with a heim joint. Something like the Carli, PMF, or Icon bars.

Old 11-01-2017, 01:34 PM
theboom
Senior User
theboom is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by BII Plow Truck View Post
Ahhhhh the famous, non-brand specific, age-old, solid axle issue.....I'd pay extra for IFS.
The death wobble has been almost completely ironed out of modern trucks. This op is a very rare, specific case. Even my fathers 06 f350 has never had an issue with it. I really do not want IFS in my truck and is part of the reason I do not plan on getting a chevy/gmc anytime soon. There are other reasons but IFS is a big one.

Old 11-01-2017, 01:50 PM
Tom
Tom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputation
Track bar issues are the most common culprit, but incorrect caster can also contribute. I'd bring it into your dealer and have them take a good look on their alignment rack.

Old 11-01-2017, 02:00 PM
Mgjfam
Senior User
Mgjfam is starting off with a positive reputation.
Have you modified the suspension in any way? I learned long ago not to mess the standard suspension setup---sometimes it works and sometimes not.

Old 11-01-2017, 02:40 PM
willynilly
Senior User
willynilly is starting off with a positive reputation.
if youve altered the ride height, which alters the front end geometry, then im not a bit suprised to hear of your troubles so soon. if its all bone stock then perhaps youve just got a rare situation

Old 11-01-2017, 04:06 PM
SESWIM
Senior User
SESWIM is starting off with a positive reputation.
We align probably 4-500 Super Duties yearly. Mostly 2011 on up. Death wobble is extremely rare. Even on units with 250k + miles and worn out it is rare. Shame the OP has it already. Always an exception.

Sam

Old 11-01-2017, 04:09 PM
chargerrich
Junior User
chargerrich is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just added a 6 inch fabtech to my 17 350... should i be worried?

Old 11-01-2017, 04:51 PM
troverman
Post Fiend
troverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud of
The "death wobble" means different things to different people. I've had four of the 2011-2016 generation Super Duty trucks and already two 2017 trucks. None ever exhibited true death wobble.

Old 11-01-2017, 05:29 PM
Tricon
Postmaster
Tricon has a good reputation on FTE.Tricon has a good reputation on FTE.Tricon has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by chargerrich View Post
Just added a 6 inch fabtech to my 17 350... should i be worried?
Only if you like to worry about things that have almost no chance of happening to you.

Old 11-01-2017, 05:29 PM
Snowman 8
Senior User
Snowman 8 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Nothing has been altered in the suspension or tires. The truck is an XLT with a 6.2. It’s my work truck that is always loaded pretty good with tools & fuel. Trust me I know what the death wobble is! I don’t know what you guys call a violent shake in the front end so bad that it throws everything of your dash and seats. The steering wheel shakes so bad that you can’t hang on to it! All you can do is hit the brakes and slow down to about 25 mph to get it to come out of it, hopefully not getting rear ended in the process! If that isn’t the death wobble please let me know what it is then!

Old 11-01-2017, 06:00 PM
saskowner
Senior User
saskowner is starting off with a positive reputation.
My 2011 had it's first death wobble at just over 15000 miles and yes it was a shake you off the road wobble. They worked on the truck for a couple of weeks and tried everything but ultimately the only thing that worked was to replace the stabilizer every 10000 miles or so. In one case where the stabilizer did not fix the problem installing new tires did the trick. I know some people say that a new stabilizer just covers up the real problem but when everything else has been eliminated you have to go with what works.
Gary

Old 11-01-2017, 07:31 PM
svtride
Senior User
svtride is starting off with a positive reputation.
Can someone define what the "death wobble" is?
Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Death wobble, already!

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.