Forscan help - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forscan help

Old 10-12-2017, 11:37 AM
Senior User

afmedic is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.afmedic is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Forscan help

I know these trucks are finicky about obdii connection, is there anyone using forscan with the ELM327? I tried to connect mine last night and it connected to the ELM327 but it couldn't read the PCM. if you use it and it works, what did you have to do to the settings?
Old 10-12-2017, 11:49 AM
Postmaster

Sous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud of
The information in the link below may be of some use to you.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...the-cheap.html
Old 10-12-2017, 11:55 AM
Senior User

afmedic is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.afmedic is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Awesome thanks for the link. It doesn't give much info on the actual connection. I got pretty good with forscan when I had the excursion, but I can't even get it to connect to my E99 F350
Old 10-12-2017, 12:04 PM
Postmaster

Sous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud of
Are you sure the fuse for the connection is not blown? I think it is fuse 30 under the dash, but not sure. It is the same fuse for the power point in the dash though.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:29 PM
Senior User

All the fuses were good. Checked with an ohm meter
Old 10-12-2017, 02:28 PM
Senior User

Shovelheadrob is starting off with a positive reputation.
I know that when I first tried Torque & Forscan, I only had a cheap cloned bluetooth module, Torque worked with very limited functionality, but Forscan wouldn't work at all. Buying a good quality module changed all that.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:22 PM
i ain't rite

tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
i tried forskin for three months, and only got it to connect to the elm327 and computer once.
after not getting any help at all from them i said screw them and started using torque pro to read codes.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:17 PM
Senior User

I just tried torque pro with it and it still wouldn't connect. When I plug the adapter in all the lights flash, but the red one is the only one that stays lit. I think there is a problem with the adapter
Old 10-12-2017, 07:28 PM
Senior User

jimjokjv is starting off with a positive reputation.
I believe I read somewhere that there were issues with that connector. I purchased this one from Amazon and it works just fine:
ScanTool 425801 OBDLink SX USB: Professional OBD-II Scan Tool for Windows
Old 10-12-2017, 07:31 PM
Senior User

Does that one work with forscan or only their obdwiz software
Old 10-12-2017, 07:43 PM
Senior User

jimjokjv is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have FORscan on my laptop and use that connector to my 2000 PS.

I downloaded their program also but use the FORscan with their connector.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:31 AM
Post Fiend

Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation
FORScan will work with any OBDII adapter that...
  1. ...is capable of using the J1850 PWM protocol. This is not just some electronic language - J1850 PWM uses a different pin on the connector than the other protocols. The specs need to have this protocol on the list, or it likely won't work.
  2. ...has the correct interface for your device. USB is universal, but wired. WiFi is universal, but laggy. BlueTooth is not universal - Apple products don't play well with most OBDII BlueTooth adapters.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:33 PM
Post Fiend

timmyboy76 is a splendid one to beholdtimmyboy76 is a splendid one to beholdtimmyboy76 is a splendid one to beholdtimmyboy76 is a splendid one to beholdtimmyboy76 is a splendid one to beholdtimmyboy76 is a splendid one to beholdtimmyboy76 is a splendid one to beholdtimmyboy76 is a splendid one to behold
I went through 3 bt dongles before I realized that TQ or CGP would read IF key was turned to accessory..lol
Old 10-13-2017, 05:46 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyboy76 View Post
I went through 3 bt dongles before I realized that TQ or CGP would read IF key was turned to accessory..lol
it wouldn't work in run?
Old 10-13-2017, 05:47 PM
New User

Delta1166 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had the same issue.
TRY this b4 you order another OBD2 device:

In FORScan go into settings, connection tab at the top and change MS-CAN Support to "HS/MS Switch." Now hit the connect button in FORScan but say no when it brings up your VIN's profile from the previous connection attempt. It should read the modules you already noted and then prompt you to flip the switch on the adapter and should discover all the rest of the modules. If successful you can say yes on subsequent connection attempts when it brings up your VIN's profile.