6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

New to the site, looking for some advice...

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 02:31 PM
garmford
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by F250_Super_4X4
Garmford just recited the mechanics creed... If its not broke don't fix it
Words to live by! LOL

Old 10-07-2017, 08:03 AM
Chuck-B
6.7 Weight Loss
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok call me inexperienced but gotta ask - how does a 'self destructing fuel pump' result in the need to replace the entire fuel system? It self destructs, replace it - truck on?

Old 10-07-2017, 09:08 AM
LTL Joe
New User
Originally Posted by ruschejj
I don’t buy into the hpfp as being a common predictable problem. Years ago there was a lot of stink because they would fail from bad fuel and suddenly people would draw a conclusion that the pumps are crappy and ford denies warranty coverage because they’re evil.

Check your insurance coverage and find out if you can be covered against vandalism or catastrophic failure due to bad fuel. I bet you could obtain coverage for a lot less than $2 grand.
Funny you would mention that, the mechanic said that if it failed before I could get it replaced that I needed to put about 2 gallons of DEF in the tank and call my insurance company.... I have done some more research and it seems that the HPFP can fail due to corrosion which will in turn wipe out the entire fuel system due to contamination, what I have NOT been able to find is the proof that the newer version of the pump will not have this problem?? Best guess I have would be to replace the old pump as well as install and additional water separator to help insure that no water makes it to the pump, but hey it's only money right... Thank you all for your help with this!!!

Old 10-07-2017, 09:14 AM
LTL Joe
New User
Originally Posted by Chuck-B
Ok call me inexperienced but gotta ask - how does a 'self destructing fuel pump' result in the need to replace the entire fuel system? It self destructs, replace it - truck on?
Evidently when the HPFP fails it forces shrapnel through the entire fuel system, which causes total contamination of the fuel lines, rails, Injectors and return lines... High dollar repair for sure

Old 10-07-2017, 11:40 AM
willydmax
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LTL Joe
Evidently when the HPFP fails it forces shrapnel through the entire fuel system, which causes total contamination of the fuel lines, rails, Injectors and return lines... High dollar repair for sure
That is what happens when it self destructs. Sends fine metal shaving throughout.

Old 10-07-2017, 11:43 AM
willydmax
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Funny you would mention that, the mechanic said that if it failed before I could get it replaced that I needed to put about 2 gallons of DEF in the tank and call my insurance company.... I have done some more research and it seems that the HPFP can fail due to corrosion which will in turn wipe out the entire fuel system due to contamination, what I have NOT been able to find is the proof that the newer version of the pump will not have this problem?? Best guess I have would be to replace the old pump as well as install and additional water separator to help insure that no water makes it to the pump, but hey it's only money right... Thank you all for your help with this!!!
Sounds like a mechanic with very little integrity to recommend dumping DEF into the tank before calling insurance company

Old 10-08-2017, 10:23 AM
Chuck-B
6.7 Weight Loss
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And the secondary filter on the engine doesn't snag the shrapnel? Nice

Old 10-08-2017, 10:39 AM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Received 6,380 Likes on 4,637 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck-B
And the secondary filter on the engine doesn't snag the shrapnel? Nice

The HPFP is after the 2nd filter...so when the pump fails, it takes out the fuel lines and injectors.