6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

New to the site, looking for some advice...

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 09:31 AM
LTL Joe
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New to the site, looking for some advice...

I have searched the site for any information on my question and had no luck, so I thought I would post in hopes of getting some insight from all you powerstroke guys!!!

I have a 2013 F-350 with the 6.7 and 140K miles... Bone Stock!! I use this truck for work as I am a hot shot driver pulling a 40' 8k lb. gooseneck daily with it and at times load an additional 16K worth of freight. I was told recently by a mechanic that the 2011 to 2014 are notorious for having the high pressure fuel pump FAIL around 150K miles, which ends up being a very costly repair. He said that the $1700.00 price to replace it would be the best thing to do as well as a full delete of the EGR, cutting the DPF filter in half and hollowing it out and re-welding along with a generic tow tune being added for another $1100.00. My question is if the fuel pump is truly an issue do deal with and although the delete is pretty basic, is a generic tow tune the right way to go?? I know nothing about tuners other than the fact that if it's the wrong one it could fry your motor.... I need longevity from this motor, not looking to make it fast... Thank you in advance for any advice and sorry for the long 1st post..

Old 10-03-2017, 11:14 AM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Might want to ask this over in the 6.7L forum. I have not seen any real problems with thee HPFP failing at any special interval. Most seem to fail from water induced into the fuel system.

Maybe one of the moderators will move this to the 6.7 forum and you can get more input.

Old 10-03-2017, 11:32 AM
glruff
Super Moderator
Received 157 Likes on 93 Posts
Moved to 6.7 forum.

Welcome to FTE!

Old 10-03-2017, 11:48 AM
garmford
Senior User
I suggest you never talk to that mechanic again! He obviously doesn't know a thing about this engine.

Old 10-03-2017, 12:12 PM
LTL Joe
New User
Originally Posted by glruff
Moved to 6.7 forum.

Welcome to FTE!

Thank you!! I thought that I had posted it there to begin with, but I guess I really needed to show what a newbie I was...

Old 10-03-2017, 12:17 PM
LTL Joe
New User
Originally Posted by garmford
I suggest you never talk to that mechanic again! He obviously doesn't know a thing about this engine.

That's precisely why I am asking as I know with all things there are many school's of thought, but paying almost 2K to replace something that is working fine is a tough choice to make!!!

Old 10-03-2017, 12:52 PM
willydmax
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He does have a point about the fuel pump. I have a customer with a 2012 F350 and at 119,000 miles his self destructed and he had to replace the entire fuel system at the tune of around $7000. If I owned one I would be very tempted to replace it as preventative maintenance. On the other hand it could last for 400k without any issues. The only one I've replaced at my shop was on a 2011 F350 with 208,000 miles but it was leaking externally. Thankfully it didn't self destruct.
Just my $.02

Old 10-03-2017, 02:11 PM
LTL Joe
New User
Originally Posted by willydmax
He does have a point about the fuel pump. I have a customer with a 2012 F350 and at 119,000 miles his self destructed and he had to replace the entire fuel system at the tune of around $7000. If I owned one I would be very tempted to replace it as preventative maintenance. On the other hand it could last for 400k without any issues. The only one I've replaced at my shop was on a 2011 F350 with 208,000 miles but it was leaking externally. Thankfully it didn't self destruct.
Just my $.02

I appreciate your $.02!! So I'm guessing that since you have had only one case of this happening in your shop it may not be something that is commonly "Known" to happen with these years but because of the expense to replace the entire fuel system, you would consider this to be good preventable maintenance? I have searched the web and not found anything of real substance showing that this is a common defect or that the replacement is the cure?? I just can't imagine having to do this every 150K!!!

Old 10-03-2017, 02:55 PM
willydmax
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No problem. The one thing that I don't know about this customer of mine that had this happen is how was the truck used before he owned it? It came from the North Dakota oil fields and he bought it when it was just out of warranty. You never know what kind of fuel some people pour in. This is why I try and tell every diesel customer of mine that they should run a good quality fuel additive in every tank. It's cheap insurance to me. Good luck

Old 10-03-2017, 04:09 PM
F250_Super_4X4
Tuned
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I concur with *****... 2011-2014s are known for having a HPFP issues. The issue stems from water in the fuel, rust formation and causing excessive wear in the HPFP. I have seen some internally grenade. This issue was fixed 2015 and up with SS internals. VW used the same pump and had similiar issues.

Old 10-03-2017, 04:39 PM
js139
Senior User
These trucks do have issues with the HPFP. As noted above, usually due to water. I personally drain my separator monthly (never had water in it) and always do my regular maintenance and filters. I have no concerns about losing a HPFP pump at 150k. That said, if you don't do those things and fill up in sketchy places, then it is something you might have happen to you.

As for the tuner, I disagree with your mechanic for recommending this. This will do nothing to protect your HPFP. It will help the engine run better, increase HP, and possibly mileage. However, since it sounds like you are a business truck (fall under commercial licenses) and cross many states borders, I would be careful with this given the crack down on the delete systems. Different jurisdictions are more aggressive on this than others and that is a steep fine. For me in Alaska, I'd delete and tune in a second (and did), but not if I was running around the lower 48.

Old 10-04-2017, 05:53 AM
Sneuen
Freshman User
The thing about the fuel pump is if you get a bad tank of fuel, it could take out your fuel pump weather you just replaced it or not.

Old 10-04-2017, 09:04 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I don’t buy into the hpfp as being a common predictable problem. Years ago there was a lot of stink because they would fail from bad fuel and suddenly people would draw a conclusion that the pumps are crappy and ford denies warranty coverage because they’re evil.

Check your insurance coverage and find out if you can be covered against vandalism or catastrophic failure due to bad fuel. I bet you could obtain coverage for a lot less than $2 grand.

Old 10-04-2017, 09:35 AM
garmford
Senior User
i don't believe that there's a chronic HPFP problem with the 6.7, so for the mechanic to suggest replacing it just to replace it, he's just fishing for business.
Yes if you get water in fuel it will destroy the pump, but it doesn't matter how old or new the pump is.
If it's not broke, don't fix it.

Old 10-04-2017, 12:19 PM
F250_Super_4X4
Tuned
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Garmford just recited the mechanics creed... If its not broke don't fix it

Quick Reply: New to the site, looking for some advice...