Major electrical issues-please help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 05:32 AM
clintusaf
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is a recap of what I’ve done so far and whats to come to fix this issue:

1. Removed my DP Tuner chip from PCM to eliminate as an issue
2. Removed PCM(w/batts disconnected) and inspected. No burnt spots visible on circuit board, but the pin port did have some moisture residual moisture. Dried it and PCM connector with heat gun and reconnected.
3. Replaced CPS sensor
4. Unplugged EBPV sensor
5. Checks all fuses under the dash (replaced a few of the PCM/other important electronic circuit fuses just for good measure)
6. Swapped PCM and IDM relay

My next steps I plan to take are:
1. Remove the IDM(the plastic fender liner is a PIA to remove) and check for water. Does anyone know how to test the IDM?
2. Go ham with the heat gun(taking precaution to not melt anything of course) on all wiring, sensors, connections, etc.. and hope it dries everything out
3. Locate all sensors, unplug, inspect, test. Does anyone have a good guide or recommendations where to find all the appropriate sensors and how to test them? Maybe a diagram or pictures would be great and how much voltage should be setting at each with the key on.

Please chime in and throw some additional suggestions out here. I really appreciate any help provided on this.

Old 09-26-2017, 09:09 AM
Hussler
Postmaster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
On the sensors that uses VRef - 5 volts supplied by the PCM they are:

1. Accelerator peddle AP
2. Barro
3. MAP
4. CPS
5. EBPS
6. ICP

The BRN/WHT wire is the 5 volts. Locate one that is convenient and with key ON measure that wire. I usually use a sewing needle and just stick it through the wire. Use caution as this usually causes some blood lose with holes in the fingers. Also use battery ground for the negative lead on the voltmeter. If ~ 5 volts is present then this is not the issue and you can check sensors off the list.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:27 AM
clintusaf
Elder User
Will do! I will post as soon as I get them tested. Thanks!

Old 09-29-2017, 07:06 AM
clintusaf
Elder User
Update: down to troubleshooting the last few sensors. IDM seemed ok and fuseable link checked good as well.

Old 09-29-2017, 07:30 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,853 Posts
Keep it up! I remember being in Aviano for a few days on my way to Iraq in 2004. It was a nice layover of sorts before heading down to the sandbox.

Old 10-03-2017, 03:28 AM
clintusaf
Elder User
Update: Reinstalled IDM. The WTS light now goes off as it should. Trucks starts ands idles fine. However, now there is zero throttle response. My code reader also works and the following codes are now present:

P0713 - Trans Fluid Temp sensor A circuit high input
P0113 - Intake Air Temp Sensor 1 circuit high input
P0123 - Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor A circuit high input

Additionally, if I remove fuse #45(overdrive cancel switch on the shifter, 4X4 control module if you have 4X4, accelerator pedal, head light switch and instrument cluster) the door chime comes on as it should, but while the fuse is plugged in(which Iv'e swapped out for a new one) the door chimes disappears. I have no throttle response whether its installed or removed.

After doing some research, I'm gonna give a real good look to the steering column area and see if is something to do with a chaffed wire somewhere.

Old 10-03-2017, 12:22 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Take the pedal a part and clean really good. That mitt work for pedal response. Those sensors are what control that.

Old 10-03-2017, 03:27 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The P0123 - Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor A circuit high input is your problem. It's a switch when pressing on the go peddle that you are actually telling the computer you want to go. In a quiet environment you can press on the peddle and hear the switch accurate. Just get down at the peddle area and you will see it, not uncommon on these rigs, especially in wet and muddy environments for the switch to bind.

Old 10-04-2017, 01:00 AM
clintusaf
Elder User
Originally Posted by Hussler
The P0123 - Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor A circuit high input is your problem. It's a switch when pressing on the go peddle that you are actually telling the computer you want to go. In a quiet environment you can press on the peddle and hear the switch accurate. Just get down at the peddle area and you will see it, not uncommon on these rigs, especially in wet and muddy environments for the switch to bind.

Ok. I will take a look tonight. thanks.

Old 10-11-2017, 10:12 AM
clintusaf
Elder User
Originally Posted by Hussler

So after removing the throttle assembly, everything looked clean(I have the adjustable pedal).

Gonna check the voltages according to this thread and see what I get.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-problems.html

any other ideas of what this could be? I hat the thought of having to buy a new PCM and not knowing if that's the issue. I would swap it with a known good one, but don't know anyone over here in Italy with a 7.3