1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Recommendations on What to Replace

Old 09-11-2017, 08:55 PM
SapperJoe
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recommendations on What to Replace

This coming weekend I'll be changing out my power steering pump, a/c compressor, thermostat and water pump on my 2003 Navigator 4x4. The power steering pump has been whining for a while, the PO had ridiculous 22" wheels and the air suspension was having issues so I think it was straining the system (springs deflated, hard to steer at slow speeds - fixed now). The A/C still works very well and blows cold air, but it has gotten noisy. I was able to tighten the bolts on the front of the case a little and it made it a lot quieter, but it's slowly getting loud again so I've been keeping it off. Water pump is getting done because I've had an overheating issue and would prefer to replace it while everything is apart. Same with the thermostat.

My question is: What else would you guys recommend replacing while I'm at it? I will obviously do a new belt, and I'm going to have the radiator cleaned and flushed, but that's about it. I'm back and forth on the AC condenser, but the compressor it hasn't really failed. Yet. It has 151,000 miles on it and I like it so would prefer to keep it running as long as possible. I should have the whole front apart (more or less) so I want to take advantage of the accessibility. On that note, I have no other major issues and nothing really noticeable aside from those listed above. My only CEL codes in the last two years have been vacuum related (fixed) and overheat. Thanks for your input!

Old 09-11-2017, 11:12 PM
ExplorerTominCO
Senior User
All the steering pieces: idler arm, inner/outer tie rod ends.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:46 AM
lincolnshibuya
Junior User
check if any of your pulleys are free-wheeling, it could reduce the noise by replacing the worn ones.

my ac compressor at 222k miles is still ok, I'd rather just replace the clutch pulley (or the clutch assembly) Aftermarket AC doesn't last long compared to OEM.

Facebook Post

Old 09-12-2017, 12:15 PM
Skauber
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you replace the AC compressor, regardless of the reason for replacing it, you should ALWAYS replace the receiver/drier assembly. Some will say you can get away with not replacing it, but it's good practice and it doesn't cost much, around 30 odd bucks if you go for the "Four Seasons" brand which I have good experience in using in the past, or about 65 bucks if you go with the Motorcraft one.

2003 LINCOLN NAVIGATOR 5.4L V8 A/C Receiver Drier / Accumulator | RockAuto

As for condenser, you can't flush it so don't attempt to do that. If it looks good, doesn't have any dents or obvious damages I'd say it's no point in replacing it, but if it looks like it has seen better days then I'd get a new one.

2003 LINCOLN NAVIGATOR 5.4L V8 A/C Condenser | RockAuto

Other than that, check if your idler pulleys and belt tensioner is still in good shape. Not much else to do up front there unless you have a specific problem.

Old 09-12-2017, 12:23 PM
SapperJoe
Freshman User
Thanks for your replies! Definitely some stuff to look into. As for the condenser, I wouldn't try to flush that (I worded my post poorly). I meant I'm back and forth on replacing it. But still, thanks for the suggestions!

Old 09-12-2017, 12:48 PM
SapperJoe
Freshman User
Originally Posted by ExplorerTominCO
All the steering pieces: idler arm, inner/outer tie rod ends.
I missed this comment before... I do plan on checking that stuff. I have an increasingly more noticeable knock from the front end when I go over bumps. Mostly just crappy road type of bumps, but it gets annoying quickly and isn't right.

Old 09-12-2017, 01:31 PM
Skauber
Posting Guru
A knocking such as what you describe can also be caused by the stabilizer, in particular bushings and such. Not familiar on how it connects to the suspension on the '03, but on the '05 it's connected with a link which uses ball joints which wears out, in addition to bushings connecting to the chassis.

Old 09-12-2017, 01:32 PM
Skauber
Posting Guru
Checked Rockauto, they list the same stabilizer link on the '03 as the '05, so looks like that part is identical:
2003 LINCOLN NAVIGATOR 5.4L V8 Stabilizer Bar Link | RockAuto

Old 09-12-2017, 08:21 PM
ExplorerTominCO
Senior User
Knock could also be a ball joint.

Best way to check is to jack up the a-arm until the tire is off the ground and you can get a pry bar under the tire (or a pipe or a pick axe or whatever) and then lift the tire with the pry bar. Nothing should move. A helper working the pry bar allows you to look at the Ball joints- my 11 year daughter has filled this role.

If you see any movement in either (or both) replace them. You can replace just the ball joint or the entire arm. If you replace the arm, you'll get new pivot bushings as well. Your call. When I've replaced the arms (upper and lower), the bushings looked fine.

Old 09-17-2017, 04:28 PM
SapperJoe
Freshman User
So I wasn't able to do everything I wanted to as parts haven't come and I need to drive it this week. I do have a question though... I noticed this morning a nice little oil leak. I have had a very slow leak before (an occasional drop on my driveway) but this was a puddle. It slowed down a bit, however it's still more of a leak than I'm ok with (really not ok with any leak). I crawled underneath and it looks to be coming from the filter area. I can't pinpoint it exactly, but I'm pretty sure this is the source. Any ideas on what it could be? I've read something about oil filter adapter gasket or something like that. Is this a common area to leak?