1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.4 Ford, No boost!! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 08:23 PM
powerstroker6.4
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.4 Ford, No boost!! HELP!

I was driving my 6.4L, compound turbo set up 58/72 and was going about 75mph on a straight, torque converter locked at 4th and then all the sudden a backfire sound was heard and I lost all boost. Truck was unable to make any boost at all not even 1 pound. Seeming not to leak any fluids at all, oil, antifreeze, transmission was was fine, no check engine light or anything but I cannot get any boost. Truck was limping home lucky only about half a mile away, and turned the truck off, looked over everything no leaks it didn’t look like but then I turned it back on and it still wasn’t building any boost what so ever I have no clue what happen... Any ideas?

Old 09-11-2017, 08:36 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Sounds like you blew an innercooler duct. Check the ducts for ruptures. You might check YouTube for video on replacing them. Most likely the cold side tube is blown/leaking.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:01 PM
Leon82
Mountain Pass
Maybe there was a loose clampand the hose popped off the intercooler and you just need to tighten it

Old 09-11-2017, 09:04 PM
powerstroker6.4
New User
Originally Posted by Just Strokin
Sounds like you blew an innercooler duct. Check the ducts for ruptures. You might check YouTube for video on replacing them. Most likely the cold side tube is blown/leaking.
I didn’t really look to hard in it, it was dark and I was kinda pissed because of what just happen when I just got this truck not too long ago but I was checking for any leaking as in oil or antifreeze and there was nothing but I also read maybe it was the turbo boots? This is my first 6.4L, I previously owned a 6.0L and so I don’t really know much about this motor, theres alot done to it as far as compounds, injectors, h&s mini max tuner, and much much more. It was pushing 50 pounds of boost, then dropped straight to 0... been put on a dyno before never hurt it watched the temps and all everything was fine then I get on it a little and this happen... So where specifically should I look?

Old 09-11-2017, 09:05 PM
powerstroker6.4
New User
Originally Posted by Leon82
Maybe there was a loose clampand the hose popped off the intercooler and you just need to tighten it
That would really cause a total loss of boost though?

Old 09-11-2017, 09:11 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
As a Ford dealer licensed, Senior/Master/Diesel certified technician with Ford since 2000, my money is on the hot side charge air cooler boot blew off where it connects to the charge air cooler on the bottom driver side. Replace the boot and clamp and move on with life.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:14 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
50 psi of boost? You most likely blew an innercooler hose, connection or something between the turbo and the engine intake.

If you have the stock ducts, I would check them for sure. If they have been replaced, check for a loose hose or clamp. Do a visual check first. You should be able to hear a leak. Have someone raise the rpm as you look and listen under the hood.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:16 PM
powerstroker6.4
New User
Originally Posted by m-chan68
As a Ford dealer licensed, Senior/Master/Diesel certified technician with Ford since 2000, my money is on the hot side charge air cooler boot blew off where it connects to the charge air cooler on the bottom driver side. Replace the boot and clamp and move on with life.
Thanks for the lead way, Im not gonna be able to look at it until tomorrow evening but I wanna see what everyone says by tomorrow and then check it out hoping its not something expensive... Just a man trying to see what kinda kick his new toy had and it obviously has kicked me in the ***...

Old 09-11-2017, 09:21 PM
powerstroker6.4
New User
Originally Posted by Just Strokin
50 psi of boost? You most likely blew an innercooler hose, connection or something between the turbo and the engine intake.

If you have the stock ducts, I would check them for sure. If they have been replaced, check for a loose hose or clamp. Do a visual check first. You should be able to hear a leak. Have someone raise the rpm as you look and listen under the hood.
Did seem too hear an abnormal leak from around the general area of turbo, the stock ducks are not there they have been replaced with pipes... 50lbs to 0 that fast is like a heart drop you never wanna feel... **** happens

Old 09-11-2017, 09:25 PM
powerstroker6.4
New User
What exactly even causes this too happen if these particular things are in the general of what is wrong like what cause stuff to blow like so?

Old 09-11-2017, 09:26 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by powerstroker6.4
Thanks for the lead way, Im not gonna be able to look at it until tomorrow evening but I wanna see what everyone says by tomorrow and then check it out hoping its not something expensive... Just a man trying to see what kinda kick his new toy had and it obviously has kicked me in the ***...
It doesn't take but two seconds to see if it blew off, or not. When you open the hood, the first heat exchanger you see is the charge air cooler. The top of the cooler, is the cold side (CAC outlet to intake manifold inlet). The bottom of the cooler is the hot side (CAC inlet). This is where these trucks are pretty common to have the rubber boot blow off, due to the oil in the charge air cooler setting onto the bottom and causing the rubber hose to expand, and/or the clamp rusts out.

And if it IS that, be very thankful the "kick" is relatively soft, compared to how much harder the kick can be with these engines when repairs are needed.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:31 PM
powerstroker6.4
New User
Originally Posted by m-chan68
It doesn't take but two seconds to see if it blew off, or not. When you open the hood, the first heat exchanger you see is the charge air cooler. The top of the cooler, is the cold side (CAC outlet to intake manifold inlet). The bottom of the cooler is the hot side (CAC inlet). This is where these trucks are pretty common to have the rubber boot blow off, due to the oil in the charge air cooler setting onto the bottom and causing the rubber hose to expand, and/or the clamp rusts out.

And if it IS that, be very thankful the "kick" is relatively soft, compared to how much harder the kick can be with these engines when repairs are needed.
Yeah I know about thats harder kick you speak of... If it had just blown off when I put it back on do I need to do anything else other than tighten the clamp?