Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil and Filter

Old 08-27-2017, 04:40 PM
jav_eee
Elder User
jav_eee has a good reputation on FTE.jav_eee has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by SandDude
This is the stuff, right?
My math is terrible but we need an extra quart of this stuff, right? 6.7 takes 13 quarts and these 3 bottles are only 12? Or are they 5 qt jugs?

Old 08-27-2017, 04:57 PM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.
1 gallon to a jug. Not 5 quarts.

Old 08-29-2017, 10:43 AM
Chuck-B
Elder User
Chuck-B is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Chuck-B is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
4 quarts to a gallon so 13 quarts = 3 gallons (3*4 = 12) + 1 quart - but buy 2 quarts in case you need to add some oil between changes.

Old 08-29-2017, 10:48 AM
Redrockerstl55
Posting Guru
Redrockerstl55 has a good reputation on FTE.Redrockerstl55 has a good reputation on FTE.
Quick question...for those of you changing your own oil what are you draining that oil into. My guess is those black plastic sealable Walmart oil pans won't handle the volume of hot oil coming out of this engine.

Thank you!

Old 08-29-2017, 11:20 AM
jav_eee
Elder User
jav_eee has a good reputation on FTE.jav_eee has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Chuck-B
4 quarts to a gallon so 13 quarts = 3 gallons (3*4 = 12) + 1 quart - but buy 2 quarts in case you need to add some oil between changes.
I ended up buying 2 of those 3-packs on Amazon.

Old 08-29-2017, 01:11 PM
Boaterguy
Senior User
Boaterguy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Redrockerstl55 View Post
Quick question...for those of you changing your own oil what are you draining that oil into. My guess is those black plastic sealable Walmart oil pans won't handle the volume of hot oil coming out of this engine.

Thank you!
I bought a 16 quart sealed drain pan from Wal-Mart, so it all fits, then take it to their automotive and tire shop for return. Here in California, the law states if you sell it, you have to accept the old stuff for recycling.

Old 08-29-2017, 01:19 PM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.

Thank you!
My Wal-Mart pan is 15 quarts.

Once I have my Fumoto drain valve in place I won't use the pan again. I'll drain directly to jugs. I hit up the Wal-Mart oil change manager for empty jugs before I do the change.

Old 08-29-2017, 06:58 PM
dirthawg
Elder User
dirthawg has a very good reputation on FTE.dirthawg has a very good reputation on FTE.dirthawg has a very good reputation on FTE.

Thank you!
I used a 5 gallon bucket on my first oil change, then refilled the jugs with the old oil using a funnel. Next oil change will be with the Fumoto valve installed during first oil change, intend to drain directly back into used 1 gallon jugs saved from last oil change.

Old 08-29-2017, 09:11 PM
skanj0
Elder User
skanj0 is starting off with a positive reputation.

Thank you!
5 gallon plastic Home Depot bucket with lid.

Old 08-29-2017, 09:13 PM
Redrockerstl55
Posting Guru
Redrockerstl55 has a good reputation on FTE.Redrockerstl55 has a good reputation on FTE.
Thank you guys. Those are all great suggestions. Much appreciated.

Old 08-30-2017, 10:11 AM
Chuck-B
Elder User
Chuck-B is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Chuck-B is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by dirthawg View Post
I used a 5 gallon bucket on my first oil change, then refilled the jugs with the old oil using a funnel.
I do pretty much the same thing - I have a "bucket" that is made specifically for catching drained oil, it's got a spout on it - then pour it back into the jugs the new oil came in and take those to the recycling center where they have a large tank for used oil.