Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

*** The Official Superduty Morning Coffee Thread ***

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 07:50 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
"Downtown Abbey" It's not widely known for nothing... that usually means the writing and/or performances are good, or it's controversial. The responses weren't along the line of "never heard of it", so you have to give it that.

Going into the wayback machine, I think one of the smartest shows ever made for television was "West Wing". In a hat-tip to ZachinCO, I own a West Wing collector's set and I've watched it all the way through 3 or 4 times. My wife and I can name the titles of a few of our favorite episodes. Pathetic, eh?

Kyra Sedgewick - she did a great job of making you hate her character... so you have to give her that. Even so, I still can't stand her... but the show still had great entertainment value with the rest off the cast.

Old 02-02-2018, 08:28 AM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Exclamation

Michelle Dockery (from Downton Abbey) in a different setting.

Another series that never caught on (binge worthy all the same) :

Old 02-02-2018, 08:37 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,853 Posts
We have been meaning to start Godless, but never seem to find the time.

Old 02-02-2018, 09:57 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Sous and Tugly, I am right there with you. Even though I grew up mostly in Southern California, I had a lot of experience and exposure to ranch life due to my grandparents and other people. There is a reason we are moving to the middle of nowhere Nebraska.

Old 02-02-2018, 09:57 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
I know that my wife and I are in a very small minority, but we're slowly getting just plain sick and tired of TV in any of its forms or formats. Some of the stories told are interesting, and I appreciate watching excellent character development, but the "me too" type of storyline redundancy and sex garbage the producers keep throwing around those two aspects of TV are getting more disgusting by the week (to me and my wife, anyway). We've given up completely on Netflix, did not warm up to Amazon Prime at all, quickly exhausted any good content on Acorn TV, and we are quickly exhausting the good content on Britbox.

Old 02-02-2018, 10:00 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by F250_
I'm slowly getting just plain sick and tired of TV in any of its forms or formats. Some of the stories told are interesting, and I appreciate watching excellent character development, but the "me too" type of storyline redundancy and sex garbage the producers keep throwing around those two aspects of TV are getting more disgusting by the week (to me and my wife, anyway). We've given up completely on Netflix, did not warm up to Amazon Prime at all, quickly exhausted any good content on Acorn TV, and we are quickly exhausting the good content on Britbox.
Try Hulu. It's about all we really watch with a little Netflix included. I'm not going to lie... I really kind of love TV. It's nice to sit down in the recliner after a 12 hour day of hard work and hang out with my wife as we always talk about the characters and stuff going on in the show.

Old 02-02-2018, 10:25 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Originally Posted by F250_
I know that my wife and I are in a very small minority, but we're slowly getting just plain sick and tired of TV in any of its forms or formats. Some of the stories told are interesting, and I appreciate watching excellent character development, but the "me too" type of storyline redundancy and sex garbage the producers keep throwing around those two aspects of TV are getting more disgusting by the week (to me and my wife, anyway). We've given up completely on Netflix, did not warm up to Amazon Prime at all, quickly exhausted any good content on Acorn TV, and we are quickly exhausting the good content on Britbox.
Have you tried an old fashioned TV antenna? You might be surprised. I am situated in an ideal TV market so your results probably won't be as good as mine but you never know. I get something like 57 channels, about 45 of which could air content that I would watch and it is rare when we can't find something on that we like. And we do have the internet and HDMI connected to the TV if we choose to stream something (which we rarely do). Here is a link to a reception map where you can enter your address and get a prediction of what you can receive. I get all of the stations in the strong, moderate and weak signal zones and most of them have multiple stations, some having four. All HD and all free of charge.

https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps

Old 02-02-2018, 12:36 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by BBslider001
I really kind of love TV.
Sounds more like you recharge with the mutual fellowship with your wife while you enjoy each other while relaxing.

It's nice to sit down in the recliner after a 12 hour day of hard work and hang out with my wife as we always talk about the characters and stuff going on in the show.

Stewart

Old 02-02-2018, 10:09 PM
ZachinCO
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BBslider001
Made it to Fort Collins unscathed but GOOD GRIEF Denver is a s*** show to drive through. I have no idea why anybody would want to live there. Truck is doing great and we are in the last hotel room of the trip for the night. We get to our house tomorrow hopefully by noon and will start unloading everything and moving in hopefully before the next winter storm hits.

I'm bummed I've been missing this conversation on binge-watching because I have gotten a few really good shows from you guys, especially from Tugly getting us into Bosch, and there are some new ones I want to check out now. The more of that later... Hope everyone is well and I will have more to post tomorrow.
On the rare occasion I have to drive through Denver, I try to do it really early, but most of the time I use the toll loop around the city, worth every cent...errrr, dollar. I had to do it today, on my way back down from the mountains. Actually drove through FoCo. It is especially bad around Mile High Stadium, all the idiots on their phones..
Originally Posted by Sous
Byron, I feel that way about any city really. Some people were not meant to be in or live in cities, and I am one of those.

Safe travels for the rest of your journey.
I am that way now and always will be. My place is 60 acres and I feel slightly cramped. 35 acre places around me mostly. Some larger cattle ranches, a section or two. Not many security lights either, which is nice!

Old 02-03-2018, 12:06 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Hey guys, made it to the house this afternoon and started getting moved in. We are exhausted, but I will update in the morning or I can sit in front of the comfort of my laptop and get some photos loaded. The only problem the truck developed was a small fuel leak at the bowl drain valve...the last two hours of the trip. I'm thinking the Power Service additive mixed with the single-digit temps overnight might have had something to do with those O-rings going bad. I already have a new valve ordered from diesel O-rings.

Old 02-03-2018, 06:51 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
Have you tried an old fashioned TV antenna?
For us folk at the intersection of no and where, an antenna is nothing more than a lightning rod or a bird perch. I have about two radio stations that come in clear (one of them is 100K watts), zero TV transmitters for many miles, no cell service (as in I can't make or receive a cell call at home), and even my Sirius XM cuts out during parts of my drive to work while the GPS wigs out.

Old 02-03-2018, 07:48 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
For us folk at the intersection of no and where, an antenna is nothing more than a lightning rod or a bird perch. I have about two radio stations that come in clear (one of them is 100K watts), zero TV transmitters for many miles, no cell service (as in I can't make or receive a cell call at home), and even my Sirius XM cuts out during parts of my drive to work while the GPS wigs out.

Your GPS wigs out? Damn, you're so remote that the military doesn't even want to bother with you. And two radio stations? You're stuck with 'the cord' around there. But he's in Birmingham, AL and should fare a little better than that. The ideal situation is between two markets (or three as I am). I cut the cord when basic cable went up to $32/mo and never looked back. Until I moved two years ago I brought in some 47 channels of HD TV on an antenna from the '60's or '70's though most people don't believe me. The industry would prefer everyone to believe that you need a special antenna to receive the digital signal.

Old 02-04-2018, 01:44 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Sounds more like you recharge with the mutual fellowship with your wife while you enjoy each other while relaxing.

Stewart
I would say this is a pretty fair assessment.

Old 02-04-2018, 01:55 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
I finally got some of the photos working. Here are some promised from our trip. I'll get some more up later today. I am not sure why one came up small and the rest HUGE, but I was wanting to test and make sure they loaded ok. There is the one of our house. I am stoked about that after RV living for the last few year. If you guys wanna see, I have more from the road, sunsets, things like that. Hope everyone is enjoying their Sunday. It's 6* here with a foot of snow so far. It's nice to be inside right now.

Attached Images     
Old 02-04-2018, 02:02 PM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Cute puppy. You're gonna have to plant a bigger tree for him...

Quick Reply: *** The Official Superduty Morning Coffee Thread ***