6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Fuel filter change no start have code P2291

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 07:45 PM
dirthawg
Posting Guru
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Would diesel fuel be a sufficient lubricant or does it require an oil? My first fuel filter change is coming up and I want to be sure I have everything I need to make the change. I already have a replacement housing just in case.

I also noticed the filter housing part number has changed at least 3 times since 2011, has the issue with the weak bottom been resolved or is it still an issue?

Old 08-17-2017, 08:19 PM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
Many use Diesel as lube, but I prefer fresh engine oil. I dip the O-ring in before installing it onto the housing. The excess oil then runs down to the threads and provides lube for reinstalling the bowl. Tightening to the stop is done almost by hand at that point.

Old 08-17-2017, 08:48 PM
dirthawg
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by EO2SeaBee
Many use Diesel as lube, but I prefer fresh engine oil. I dip the O-ring in before installing it onto the housing. The excess oil then runs down to the threads and provides lube for reinstalling the bowl. Tightening to the stop is done almost by hand at that point.
Thanks for the tip, will give a go when changing mine.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:39 AM
skanj0
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by dirthawg
Thanks for the tip, will give a go when changing mine.
Another reccomendation for using new motor oil. Coat the oring and the upper part of the filter housing above the threads so it runs down into the threads. Then install and tighten to the stop.

The key thing is to diligently cycle the key after the filter change and before attempting to start the motor. The common instruction is 6 key cycles for a full 30 secs each. I did 8. This is a critical step in purging air from the system. You do not want to start the motor until all of the air is purged.

Old 08-18-2017, 09:12 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,667 Likes on 2,740 Posts
On a key-less ignition, it's just hit the button without your foot on the brake, right? That's the same as Key On, Engine Off?

Old 08-18-2017, 05:27 PM
dirthawg
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by HRTKD
On a key-less ignition, it's just hit the button without your foot on the brake, right? That's the same as Key On, Engine Off?
That's how it works on my wifes Nissan Rogue.

Old 08-19-2017, 08:38 AM
Chuck-B
6.7 Weight Loss
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by capt caper
Yes and with Oil on the threads it will go on easy until the stop. Very obvious when you hit the stop doing it this way.
Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a shot - was for sure concerned with how tight to make it with "plastic" nut

Old 08-19-2017, 08:43 AM
Chuck-B
6.7 Weight Loss
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dirthawg
Would diesel fuel be a sufficient lubricant or does it require an oil?
I would shy away from using fuel as the lubricant as it typically dries out "rubber". Stick with oil or something like 303 Protectant or Lexol Vinylex.

Old 06-16-2021, 02:25 PM
Warrior3535
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I tore into the top half of the motor because I did the cp4 failure kit on my truck.. and had it running but shortly after discovered a fuel leak. I finally went and tore it back down.. now I've taken everything apart and reassembled everything multiple times and no luck. I've pulled the fuel line on the filter and even replaced o-rings. It's got fuel coming out clear no air bubbles. But it still sounds like air is being sucked in. Replaced the lower housing on the low pressure filter because I seen the stop on the lower lid was cracked. I retightened everything and I'm noticing it looks like the stop is missing on the fuel pump it's self could this be causing my no start issue? I'm at a lose I've tried everything multiple times with no luck.

Old 06-16-2021, 02:27 PM
Warrior3535
Freshman User
I tore into the top half of the motor because I did the cp4 failure kit on my truck.. and had it running but shortly after discovered a fuel leak. I finally went and tore it back down.. now I've taken everything apart and reassembled everything multiple times and no luck. I've pulled the fuel line on the filter and even replaced o-rings. It's got fuel coming out clear no air bubbles. But it still sounds like air is being sucked in. Replaced the lower housing on the low pressure filter because I seen the stop on the lower lid was cracked. I retightened everything and I'm noticing it looks like the stop is missing on the fuel pump it's self could this be causing my no start issue? I'm at a lose I've tried everything multiple times with no luck.

Old 09-13-2021, 11:32 PM
raha
New User
P2291 issue no start

Hello

I have exactly the same issue. Would you please explain how did you fix your truck and what was the issue? I get P2291 code, truck crank but no start. I primed the fuel system in case if there is any air in the fuel system and it didn't work. I also open the fuel hose after the fuel filter under the hood and there is diesel coming out so I think the low pressure fuel pump works. Any insight on whats wrong on my truck and how I can narrow it down about the possible problems?

thanks for your time in advance!

Originally Posted by Warrior3535

Old 09-14-2021, 06:22 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,024 Likes on 2,203 Posts
Originally Posted by HRTKD
This is correct.

Old 09-14-2021, 07:18 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 986 Likes on 760 Posts
Im going to guess that you have a 2011 thru 2016 6.7

for those vehicles...the most common cause of no start after a filter change is oring not sealed correctly …..resulting in air being sucked in. remove the filter...check the oring (pre lube it), then reassemble...follow key on/off the air clear procedures

Old 09-14-2021, 10:20 AM
raha
New User
Air Bubble trapped P2291

I didnt change the filter. So I think Oring should be ok I think. However I added 4 gal of diesel and that may ad air to the fuel tank and from there the air might moved to the fuel system. I tried to prime the system (turn on and off the key for many times to get the air out but still here some bubble noise in the system. Not sure if there is still air in the system and if there is air, not sure how to get it out after so many turning on and off the key to prime the system.
any idea if the air might moved to high pressure fuel pump section and trapped there? If that is the case, how can I get the air out from there (it seems that priming doesnt help to get the air out)?

Originally Posted by speakerfritz
Im going to guess that you have a 2011 thru 2016 6.7

for those vehicles...the most common cause of no start after a filter change is oring not sealed correctly …..resulting in air being sucked in. remove the filter...check the oring (pre lube it), then reassemble...follow key on/off the air clear procedures