2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Roof Rack - Permanent install - landing pads?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 01:22 PM
hollapm
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Roof Rack - Permanent install - landing pads?

I have a set of Yakima rails as part of my tonneau cover and can install bikes, skis, etc. over the cover but its not long enough for SUP or Kayaks so am looking to use a similar setup on top of the cab. I was looking to see if I could install landing pads on the roof of the truck, and in the roof ditch there is a cover running thru it to make it look nice. I took that cover off and noticed a number of screws that appear to attach the roof to the roll bar or something else. I was wondering if I could remove one of these screws and attach a landing pad into this location, and then re-attach a longer bolt with some silicon to seal it in. I am attaching some pictures of whats under the ditch cap for those interested, and this looks like a perfect area to mount a landing pad to. This way its very low profile, the roof rack can be removed when not in use, and all that is there is the landing pad which stick up about an inch (which keeps the total height around the max roof height since the ditch is recessed and the center of the truck is a little higher than the ditch). I don't know if its possible but I am very interested in doing this.

One other question is does anyone know what the screw/thread pattern is of the screws attached, and what do these screws attach to?

Old 08-11-2017, 04:04 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Isnt that stud there for exactly what you want to do?

Old 08-11-2017, 04:18 PM
hollapm
Tuned
Originally Posted by Tricon
Isnt that stud there for exactly what you want to do?
That stud is what holds the clip for the ditch/channel cover. On the 4th picture left side you will see one of the clips.
I personally don't know if that stud could support a nut with landing pad and the added force of the roof rack. Replacing one of the bolts with something else to me appears to be a better path as I'm a little nervous tying into a stud that's only tied into the aluminum roof and not a support.

Old 08-11-2017, 04:32 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Ahhh, that makes sense. I think for SUPs or Kayaks you would be fine weight wise on any of the bolts or studs. But I don't know for sure so I guess I'm of no help :/

Old 08-11-2017, 04:41 PM
BowtieConvert
Lead Driver
Received 2,543 Likes on 832 Posts
Pucker factor max on that one. Have you considered a removable bed rack? That way there isn't any strain on the roof. I don't know, just throwing that out there.
Looks like JeepPuller has one.

Old 08-11-2017, 06:34 PM
hollapm
Tuned
Originally Posted by BowtieConvert
Pucker factor max on that one. Have you considered a removable bed rack? That way there isn't any strain on the roof. I don't know, just throwing that out there.
Looks like JeepPuller has one.
I have the tonneau cover with rails, and the cover covers up the stake pockets some so that doesn't work well for my application. I'd love to go with the Yakima landing pads so that I can use the same cross bars for the bed as well as roof of the truck (easiest install) as I likely will not need the roof and bed racks on at the same time... but who knows.

Old 08-12-2017, 10:07 PM
ravill
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just put yakima racks on my F450. I love em.

Old 08-12-2017, 10:53 PM
hollapm
Tuned
Originally Posted by ravill
I just put yakima racks on my F450. I love em.
Did you use the baseline and clip them to the roof/door or the skyline and permanently mount it to the roof?
​​​​​​Any pictures?

Old 08-17-2017, 10:13 PM
hollapm
Tuned
For anyone following this post - it looks like the answer is that these bolts can be removed and used to mount landing pads (or other items to the roof). I have pictures in another post with info. This can be found Here. Appreciate everyones assistance.