6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Fuel tank upgrade (give me your thoughts)

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 02:20 AM
90pioneer
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm in AK too and Trail Toys in Wasilla gave me a great deal on a 65 gal titan tank. Absolutely LOVE IT and now that I have it I could never live without one. Highly recommend. Only complaint I have is the high flow pumps kick off when fueling up, which kind of sucks but well worth the trade off.

Old 10-07-2018, 08:00 AM
Chuck-B
6.7 Weight Loss
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well struck out at my local Ace yesterday. They did have longer bolts but only 2. Hit NAPA, nothing. I think I’ll run off some of the diesel in the tank and take a ride to Home Depot. Glad to see a couple folks also installed the rubbers with the shield, I think I’ll do the same. When removing the bolt yesterday I noticed that Ford also has rubbers between the straps and tank. What’s different is that the factory shield is bolted on separately covering the straps and tank. Thanks for the tip on cleaning the inside of the tank. I probably wouldn’t have done that. My plan for ‘the gap’ is Great Stuff’.

Yesterday I also put 2 coats of 3M undercoating on the straps. I know they are painted or powder coated but like using the rubbers it’s a mental thing. I’m sure without the rubbers, without cleaning the inside, without filling the gap and without undercoating the straps I would get my trucks remaining life out of the tank with no issues. Unfortunately my brain doesn’t work like that.

Old 10-07-2018, 08:45 AM
lynnmor
More Turbo
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
If you care about appearance, gray landscape foam is just like Great Stuff, but not the ugly yellow color. Should be able to find it at larger hardware and nursery stores.

Old 10-08-2018, 08:18 AM
Chuck-B
6.7 Weight Loss
I did think about that. Was hoping it was not going to be seen. The other thing I thought of was that if it above the shield does show I would trim it back. But if there is something that will save me from having to worry about it, sounds good - thanks

Old 10-08-2018, 05:23 PM
dirthawg
Posting Guru
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Loctite makes a white foam. I found a can of it at Lowes in the lumber and trim section, because I hate that yellow foam as well!

Old 10-09-2018, 02:10 PM
Chuck-B
6.7 Weight Loss
Looks like DAP makes (or used to make) a 40440 Foam Sealant. I wanted to read up on it before buying some. Looks like the 40440 is black which is good. When I went to the DAP site it looked like they discontinued it. Finding that I immediately ordered 3 cans. In poking around it seems Great Stuff also now makes a black foam. It's a little more expensive than DAP but I ordered the DAP and will go with it - still burning my tank of Diesel off - soon

Old 10-11-2018, 06:48 AM
Chuck-B
6.7 Weight Loss
Yesterday my "change fuel filter" warning popped up. I'm betwixt and between on changing them before I put the Titan in or wait until I go through a full 50 gallons. I have the DieselSite Fuel Filter / Water Separator, the "change filter" indicator is still well in the green (I really don't trust those things) so maybe another alternative is to change frame & engine filters and hold off on the DieselSite filters until I run a tank through them.

The DAP 40440 Foam Sealant showed up yesterday. I have less than 100 miles to go to empty so next week is going to be the week. Tomorrow will head to my local garage and make an appointment to have it installed next week.

I am having a devil of a time finding 50mm M10 1.50 full thread flange head bolts. There are plenty of partial threaded ones available, can get 30mm's fully threaded. Can find fully threaded 50mm M10s but not with a flange head, may have to go with a bolt and a washer.

Old 10-11-2018, 07:37 AM
dirthawg
Posting Guru
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck-B
Yesterday my "change fuel filter" warning popped up. I'm betwixt and between on changing them before I put the Titan in or wait until I go through a full 50 gallons. I have the DieselSite Fuel Filter / Water Separator, the "change filter" indicator is still well in the green (I really don't trust those things) so maybe another alternative is to change frame & engine filters and hold off on the DieselSite filters until I run a tank through them.

The DAP 40440 Foam Sealant showed up yesterday. I have less than 100 miles to go to empty so next week is going to be the week. Tomorrow will head to my local garage and make an appointment to have it installed next week.

I am having a devil of a time finding 50mm M10 1.50 full thread flange head bolts. There are plenty of partial threaded ones available, can get 30mm's fully threaded. Can find fully threaded 50mm M10s but not with a flange head, may have to go with a bolt and a washer.
Have you checked NAPA auto parts? Maybe a fastener supply? I know flange heads are hard to find. Another alternative would be to take a partial threaded bolt and run a 10mm die down until it hits the bolt head.

Edit: Just looked up the length of a 50mm bolt, about 2 inches. Typically anything longer than 1.25" (SAE not sure about Metric) is not threaded down to the head. If an application calls for a bolt at this length is rarely needs to run all the way down to the head when tight. Not knowing the application your trying to make, are threads to the head necessary?

Old 10-11-2018, 11:37 AM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
I would not worry about the "Change fuel filter" notice until I was changing or had changed the tank.

Old 10-12-2018, 08:51 AM
Chuck-B
6.7 Weight Loss
Originally Posted by dirthawg
Have you checked NAPA auto parts? Maybe a fastener supply? I know flange heads are hard to find. Another alternative would be to take a partial threaded bolt and run a 10mm die down until it hits the bolt head.

Edit: Just looked up the length of a 50mm bolt, about 2 inches. Typically anything longer than 1.25" (SAE not sure about Metric) is not threaded down to the head. If an application calls for a bolt at this length is rarely needs to run all the way down to the head when tight. Not knowing the application your trying to make, are threads to the head necessary?
The general consensus which I was kind of leaning towards was to put the rubber inserts between the straps and tank shield even though the instructions say not to. It was mentioned that the "factory bolts" that hold the straps on "could be longer" so that sent me out on the hunt for longer bolts. Thinking the reason not to use the rubbers with the shield is because the bolts that hold the straps on aren't long enough for both the shield and rubbers. Threading them may be a solution, will have to give that a shot.

Old 10-14-2018, 07:10 AM
Chuck-B
6.7 Weight Loss
Threaded the bolts yesterday, they came out better than expected. I did 6 just to make sure I had enough and that ‘just incase’ factor. The last 2 were a little rough, think I wore the dye down a bit.

Went to my local garage, seems my town has a vendetta against a successful business and he has to get all the cars off his property before he can take on any new business. He’s got a bunch of ‘projects’ for people. Super nice guy, fair prices, decent work and honest conversations about what was ‘found’. I guess that’s why he’s successful. Anyway, a week from Monday the tank will be going in. I’m psyched.

Had to put more diesel in Saturday evening. No way I’m going to make it a week with no fuel. Kinda bummed, because I didn’t fill up I didn’t add any PM-22a. I just put $45.00 in, didn’t pay attention to the gallons, was on my way to a Carl Palmer concert.

Old 10-14-2018, 08:51 AM
Barrie guy
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had my 50G tank for three years now and love it, only issue was a bolt that broke on the middle strap into the side of the frame. Not sure why this happened but will keep an eye on it for future problems.

Old 10-24-2018, 07:50 AM
Chuck-B
6.7 Weight Loss
The Tank is in, filled and used the DAP foam to fill the space between the shield and tank. When I pulled up to the pump the fuel gauge was on negative E and the display read "0 miles to empty". The tank took 46 gallons. When I dropped the truck it had 9 miles to empty on the display, I get 13.1 miles per gallon so there should have been less than a gallon left in the factory tank. I realize the MPG and miles to empty are "rough estimates" maybe 4 gallons is the "play" in the calculations. I squeezed the last gallon in. I was shaking the truck and waiting for the foam to settle down. When I was finished there was fuel visible in the filler tube. It's possible there was an air pocket in the tank but would have expected the air to come out of the filler tube especially when I was shaking the truck. People at the station were looking at me like there was something wrong with me (there probably is) but I wanted to see if I could get the full 50 gallons in the tank. Now I've got to figure out what the PID is to change the calculation for "miles to empty" to a 50 gallon tank.

<edit> I forgot to mention that I did install the rubbers between the shield and the straps. I bought longer bolts and had no issues getting the straps on with the shield and rubbers.

Old 10-24-2018, 09:42 AM
Superdave71
Tuned
Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
I’m not sure how the after market looks at capacity when they rate a tank. I just installed an in bed RDS 60 gallon that was bone dry and all I could fit was 54. I’ve read you need to leave 10% for expansion, is that what we are up against?

Old 10-25-2018, 06:40 AM
Chuck-B
6.7 Weight Loss
Originally Posted by Superdave71
I’ve read you need to leave 10% for expansion, is that what we are up against?

That could be.

Quick Reply: Fuel tank upgrade (give me your thoughts)