Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   Fuel tank upgrade (give me your thoughts) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1502211-fuel-tank-upgrade-give-me-your-thoughts.html)

Icthus in AK 08-06-2017 11:04 AM

Fuel tank upgrade (give me your thoughts)

2013 F250 short bed with the 27 gallon tank. I plan to move out of Alaska to the lower 48 next year (don't know where yet) and am looking for a better fuel supply answer than carrying a bed full of yellow fuel cans.

​​​​​​Option 1: Replace the OEM tank with a Transfer-Flow 50 gallon tank. Extends range to approximately 1,000 mi. Remains in truck for capacity once moved.

Option 2: Add a 75 gallon auxiliary tank with automatic transfer pump. Totals 100 gallons of fuel for approximate range of 2,000 miles. Would have to remove/sell once moved. Lose half my bed when installed.

Option 3: Add a 75 gallon auxiliary tank with manual/hand nozzle transfer pump. Totals 100 gallons of fuel for approximate range of 2,000 miles. Would have to remove/sell once moved. Lose half my bed when installed.

Braggs 08-06-2017 11:35 AM

We used removable 100 gallon auxiliary tanks on our farm. Slide into bed when you need it (to haul diesel fuel out to the fields) and remove the tank from the bed when you don't need it. The tanks had their own pump on it so you can just use the nozzle to refill your factory tank.

PROSTOCK 08-06-2017 11:57 AM

50 gal in truck is what I want to do. A bit pricey which is preventing it at the moment. OEM tank size is ridiculous.

djousma 08-06-2017 12:35 PM

In my opinion, the aux tanks in the bed, if not used all the time, are subject to contaminating fuel, collecting water, etc beside taking up a lot of bed space. If you are concerned about the one time trip to the lower 48, I'd stick with the low cost yellow 5 gallon can's.

If I were going to spend the $$$, I'd switch to a transfer flow or Titan replacement tank. I struggle with the cost of those, and the fact I cant take it with me however, when I sell my truck and is the reason I have not pulled the trigger. I tend to keep my trucks 5-6 years tops.

cangim 08-06-2017 12:40 PM

I go back and forth on a titan tank, midship models. I take up the entire bed when hauling the rzr.

Dakster 08-06-2017 01:06 PM

Icthus, if it's just temporary, do the yellow cans in the back. I keep going back and forth too as I like to be able to use my entire bed at times, which is why the 5 gal jerry cans work. In the winter I fill them up and put them in the tailgate area and held in place with my extend-a-bed rack for traction. If you are moving far south then you probably won't need that extra weight.

I have a hard time with the price of the replacement tanks and even the still spendy, but cheaper AUX tanks are really semi-permanent and you already have a "short bed" truck. The 100 gal, plastic tank that Braggs talked about it interesting. Maybe Braggs could share where it was bought, how much, etc... Doubt we can get it in the last frontier though.

Sorry to see you leave Alaska.

cangim 08-06-2017 02:06 PM

For me it is really when I am loaded up with trailer and rzr that I want it. In my use case it has to be either additional stops for fuel or a solution from titan/transfer flow. I like the titan tanks, just not the price...

Braggs 08-06-2017 03:35 PM

100 gal

Ours was a simple white tank with a pump mounted on it. They call it a liquid fuel transfer tank now. Lower 48 is easy to obtain but up north might be harder. Still places like Northern Tool and other online retailers have them for a variety of prices (and material types). Maybe there's a retailer up there?

image for reference
https://www.pickupspecialties.com/Delta/img5.jpg

ruschejj 08-06-2017 04:15 PM

Sell the truck and get a long bed.

There are smaller in-bed tanks and for the price of a Titan you could have one custom made. A 50 gallon tank in the bed would only take maybe 12" of it. If you can get a taller tank you can get it down to 8" or so.

My 50 gallon tank in the bed was a Craigslist find. I just bought a cheap fuel pump through Amazon and wired it to an upfitter. I fill the factory tank while I drive, 86 gallons total (76 for you) works great for me. My total set up was pieced together and I've got less than $300 in it. Use it every week since 2011 with no issues.

If you really can't handle a tank in the bed then just go with Jerry cans. I think it's a waste of time and money if you can't get set up and keep it as long as you keep the truck.

Just Strokin 08-06-2017 04:32 PM

Bite the bullet and get a Titan tank. You won't regret it down the road. I like the idea of the poly tank since it is the same material as the stock Ford tank and NO welded seams that could split if truck is involved in an accident.

TeamMudd 08-07-2017 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by ruschejj (Post 17378838)
Sell the truck and get a long bed.

There are smaller in-bed tanks and for the price of a Titan you could have one custom made. A 50 gallon tank in the bed would only take maybe 12" of it. If you can get a taller tank you can get it down to 8" or so.

My 50 gallon tank in the bed was a Craigslist find. I just bought a cheap fuel pump through Amazon and wired it to an upfitter. I fill the factory tank while I drive, 86 gallons total (76 for you) works great for me. My total set up was pieced together and I've got less than $300 in it. Use it every week since 2011 with no issues.

If you really can't handle a tank in the bed then just go with Jerry cans. I think it's a waste of time and money if you can't get set up and keep it as long as you keep the truck.

Do you have any pictures of your set up or links to the pump that you used?

ruschejj 08-07-2017 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by TeamMudd (Post 17381090)
Do you have any pictures of your set up or links to the pump that you used?

Gimme a few and I will let you know. Here's the pump and a link to transfer flow. I have the 50 gallon steel tank but I do not have their proprietary pump control system. As I said before, I just got the tank from a previous owner and rigged it to work with an upfitter.

[https://www.transferflow.com/fuel-tanks/in-bed

[https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Lawrencew 08-07-2017 09:19 PM

Tank

i love my titan , it's on my 2nd truck now , no issues and no fuss

bobv60 08-07-2017 10:33 PM

Not much help but I want to share, on another forum the was a member complaining on the size of the fuel tank, only his complaint it was too big and cost too much to fill up.
You just can't please everyone. :)

System 08-08-2017 04:03 AM

Another vote for the Titan midship replacement poly tank. Love mine...