1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Tuner? Hybrid injectors for towing and daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 10:49 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Tuner? Hybrid injectors for towing and daily driver?

I am thinking hard about getting hybrid injectors, maybe 200/30% from Rosewood Diesel, but need a good tuner who is experienced with them to get dialed in for "Baseline", "Heavy Tow", "Daily Driver", and whatever else like maybe economy, performance, etc.

I've read of both successes and complaints, but a lot of the info is older.

I am hoping some tuners have gotten a lot of experience with them and they aren't a mystery or excessive challenge. I would like some recommendations (or solicitations by PM, I think that is okay if I've given request/permission up front?) of some tuners for this effort.

I am looking for both a short term commitment to get them going and a long term if I make changes support.

Ideally, getting something "good enough" for now and at some point meeting up for live tuning, somewhere close to them if needed

I have a Hydra and am not afraid to use it! LOL. I have the USB cable and computer and such, no problem loading tunes and pulling logs and making graphs, stuff like that

I am ready to send my injectors and get the work started on rebuilding and converting them, but I REALLY want to make sure I can find a tuner who is onboard first.

Ideally, I'd like to talk with someone today

Suggestions? Volunteers?

Thanks!

Old 08-04-2017, 10:56 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,472 Likes on 2,856 Posts
Have you asked Rosewood if they recommend anyone for tuning of the hybrids?

What about the other suppliers of hybrid injectors? I have not done any research on hybrids, so forgive my ignorance on who does or does not sell hybrids.

Asking the retailers who they recommend for tuning is where I would start.

Old 08-04-2017, 11:05 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
With all that trouble that you are having are you sure that you don't have a major mechanical failure? There seem to be a couple of major problems with engines after long trips lately. I'm thinking that it might behoove you to do a leakdown or compressing test on your cylinders before spending that kind of money.

Old 08-04-2017, 11:07 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Sous
Have you asked Rosewood if they recommend anyone for tuning of the hybrids?

What about the other suppliers of hybrid injectors? I have not done any research on hybrids, so forgive my ignorance on who does or does not sell hybrids.

Asking the retailers who they recommend for tuning is where I would start.
Thanks for the quick reply

I had an extended conversation with Jim at Rosewood, which was really helpful to me. Helped me make my first and then backup choices. He has a good reputation and took time to understand what I was looking to do.

So I've chosen him as the injector builder and plan to visit his place to pick them up and meet him in person. I'm a handshake guys whenever possible and 3 hrs one way is "possible"

They do list a couple of tuners, but as is customary in this market, the recommendation is to talk to the tuner you think you want to use, make sure he is comfortable with your expectations, and is available to you before ordering injectors.

If I can't connect with the right guy for the hybrids, I'll go to fallback of 160/30 or 160/80 and have more options.

I am looking for a good working relationship, not a "take your chances on who is playing with your tune" and tunes that don't show up or any of that jazz. Someone who inspires confidence in the tunes might be a good way to say it

Make sense?

Old 08-04-2017, 11:11 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
With all that trouble that you are having are you sure that you don't have a major mechanical failure? There seem to be a couple of major problems with engines after long trips lately. I'm thinking that it might behoove you to do a leakdown or compressing test on your cylinders before spending that kind of money.
You are probably right about that being the ideal step, Mark

But everything it is doing is consistent with injector failures via orings and internal orings.

So much so that I'm willing to take that chance. I don't think it is a high probability of major internal failure and it was parked before it had a major malfunction, only a few minutes of running from the problem to the garage.

Besides, if it is major internally, I'm tapped. Out of the diesel business

Hopefully it is just the injectors

Old 08-04-2017, 11:24 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We need to get Pocket's (Curtis) input on this thread......

Old 08-04-2017, 11:33 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by white Buffalo
We need to get Pocket's (Curtis) input on this thread......
Yes, it would be nice to hear @Pocket 's opinion on the hybrids and tuning

Old 08-04-2017, 12:44 PM
The Brad
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hybrids aren't anything to be scared of! Plenty of tuners have a lot of experience tuning hybrids. The real question is: How much HP are you after? That'll determine what other supporting mods will be necessary.

Old 08-04-2017, 12:50 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by The Brad
Hybrids aren't anything to be scared of! Plenty of tuners have a lot of experience tuning hybrids. The real question is: How much HP are you after? That'll determine what other supporting mods will be necessary.
Something that won't hurt my truck, matching up with my current mods today, and task suited (aka Heavy Tow or whatever)

If I upgrade the turbo, fuel, oil, transmission, whatever, later, I'm okay with new tunes then, too.

I just don't want to get some "special" injectors, then running around begging for someone to tune them because I didn't plan ahead

Maybe @cletus will weigh in on these?

Old 08-04-2017, 12:55 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by The Brad
How much HP are you after?
Missed answering this.

I'd like to have more than I have now and be able to use it

Not a smart-alek answer, but now I have to be detuned in Heavy Tow AND get high EGTs that force me to back off the pedal.

I understand boost makes power, but it also makes heat. If we can get more flow, more useable power, with less heat...mostly in the towing department...I think that would be a good start

Old 08-04-2017, 01:24 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ExPACamper
Missed answering this.

Not a smart-alek answer, but now I have to be detuned in Heavy Tow AND get high EGTs that force me to back off the pedal.

I understand boost makes power, but it also makes heat. If we can get more flow, more useable power, with less heat...mostly in the towing department...I think that would be a good start
350hp for towing is all you want. Keep her under 400hp and you'll be good with your current setup. But with any heavy tow tune you should not be experiencing higher EGT's unless you lug it in lower rpm's.

Old 08-04-2017, 01:39 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,472 Likes on 2,856 Posts
John, when/as I am building my truck up (slowly, but still getting there) I am shooting for 375 HP total. Absolutely nothing above 400 HP because like you, I want a reliable tow pig. I don't want something I have to tinker with and keep after all the time. I want a strong and reliable truck that will move my house on wheels from parking spot to parking spot safely, quickly and reliably.

I am following your journey very closely as this may sway my thoughts on the 160/80 injectors I have decided on.

Rich is spot on with his words that in a tow tune you should not be seeing high EGT's. When towing my 5th wheel and in the GH heavy tow tune, I cannot get the EGT's to go much past 1150, even if I try. Usually they are right around 1000 going up a grade and 700-800 just cruising. When crusing without a load behind it, the EGT's are near 500-550ish cruising.

Subscribed...

Old 08-04-2017, 01:49 PM
The Brad
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ExPACamper
Missed answering this.

I guess the next question is: What's your budget? I'm a huge believer in the Borg Warner SXE turbos, but that'll require a T4 mount. But here's a video of if a zf6 with 238/100s and a 366sxe grossing 26k pulling a grade in a Gearhead tow tune at low rpm. Note the boost and EGTs. Boost doesn't have to make heat!

Old 08-04-2017, 02:05 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
That looks like a great setup/combination. Thanks for posting the video!

Old 08-04-2017, 03:52 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
I assume it is studded and aftermarket intake plenums for the 40psi boost?

Quick Reply: Tuner? Hybrid injectors for towing and daily driver?