Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Exhaust smell

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 07:58 AM
fordboy2
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Exhaust smell

Getting an exhaust smell in the cab when driving down the road only with the windows down. Idling I don't seem to have it or traveling with windows up. I know the usual culprit is up pipes. I have visually inspected them both at connections at the babys butt and the manifolds and see no signs of any soot at all. To the point they look exceptionally clean even. Where else could the smell be coming from though? I do believe my EBPV is periodically sticking part way closed at times, and is for sure leaking oil. That's something that's going to be deleted soon just waiting on the cash to order the wheel for the turbo. I don't know if that could be a contributing factor. Any input would be great. Thanks.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:16 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,460 Likes on 2,850 Posts
When I first bought my truck 3.5 years ago I had the same faint exhaust smell. I did the same as you and visually inspected the up-pipes and other various sources the leak could be from. I never did find it.

About a year later, I rebuilt the turbo and replaced the up-pipes. Even though the pipes looked like they were not leaking and there was no soot at the joints or on the firewall, they literally fell apart when I attempted to remove them. Not from rust or damage, they just are a POS part that should never have been installed in the truck.

Your likely sources are the outlet from turbo to down pipe, joint where down pipe meets more reward pipe (if system is aftermarket) and the up-pipes. My money is on the up-pipes.

Did I mention that my exhaust smell is completely gone now since replacing the up-pipes...

Old 08-03-2017, 08:46 AM
fordboy2
Cargo Master
Did you use the international bellowed pipes? I kinda figured this is what I was going to be told. Is there any other symptoms I should look for that might also point me to the up pipes. Moneys tight currently and would rather not buy something I don't need.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:06 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
I did not use the IH pipes. I bought the Dorman for ~$100 on Amazon and am very happy with them so far. The Dormans were not a good product when they first hit the market, but have since been redesigned and are great for what they are now. Of course, the IH are far superior, but for the up-pipes I saved a bit of coin so I could afford other superior parts like OUO traction bars.

Not really, they are hard to see anyway, but more than likely unless your down pipe clamp is loose or you have rusted out exhaust pipes, your leak is going to be at the up-pipes. You can get a bright light and have a look at your manifolds where they meet the block and where they meet the up-pipes, that is free to do.

Old 08-03-2017, 01:08 PM
fordboy2
Cargo Master
Amazon Amazon
Is this the kit you used?

Old 08-03-2017, 01:14 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Yes, it is. Many, many others have used this kit as well and it has been a great product. I know, a bit surprising coming from Dorman, but it has the blessing of most FTE 7.3 members.

Old 08-03-2017, 01:41 PM
fordboy2
Cargo Master
Ok, I was going to eventually order the international bellowed pipes, but maybe I will give these a try. Just have to o put it off a little longer while I gather parts. Kinda planning to do the same mods you have since you seem to be very happy with the way yours pulls. We pull about the same weight and have the same set up pretty much. Going to order this from
https://www.spturboost.com/products/...ombo-1994-2003
For my turbo upgrade. What's your thoughts?

Old 08-03-2017, 02:09 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
I purchased the full rebuild kit from SPTurbo and it was a great decision. I do not have any experience with their billet wheel, but I have heard zero complaints from those that have bought their wheel.

I decided on the RiffRaff 4/4 wheel, but that was only because I was unfamiliar with SPTurbo at the time. If I were to do it all over again, I would have no reservations about choosing the SPTurbo wheel.

There is a post around here somewhere that talks about the differences between the 7/7 and 5/5 wheel that SPTurbo offers. You may want to take a look for it. Or, you could email or call them. They have always been quick to respond from what I have experienced and seen from other FTE members.

Old 08-03-2017, 02:59 PM
akcooper9
Laughing Gas
Received 60 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
There is a post around here somewhere that talks about the differences between the 7/7 and 5/5 wheel that SPTurbo offers.
I believe this is the post you are talking about:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ew-thread.html

Old 08-04-2017, 09:37 PM
fordboy2
Cargo Master
Thanks for the link, doesn't sound like the leak can be anywhere else other then the up pipes. Guess that's added to the list of repairs.

Old 08-05-2017, 01:06 PM
countrycar
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Check the steering column boot cover at the firewall for gaps. They tend to shrink and leave gaps, so you'll get heat, noise and if your upppipes are leaking, it tends to come in the cab as well. This repair doesn't fix the leaking uppipes but it does keep it from getting in the cab. But yes the leaking uppipes should be repaired first. If you look get down there and look at the boot, it'll surely look just fine, but put flash light in the engine bay directly at the boot and get in the cab and look to see if you can see any light coming thru. Or if it's nice and sunny out pop the hood, try get the truck in a position where the sunlight is hitting directly in this area and from inside the cab check the boot for leaks. I had this problem on my excursion, and the boot had a big gap in it where the exhaust from the leaking uppipes was coming into the cab. The boot is around $50 at the dealer.