1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Transmission fluid type

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 06:45 PM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by baddad457
To avoid undue stress on the C6, keep it out of OD climbing hills. That'll build heat faster than snything
C6 is a 3 speed, no overdrive.

Old 12-03-2017, 08:12 PM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Sam I Am
C6 is a 3 speed, no overdrive.
Umm...............Might want to start READING what's been posted before chiming in..............

Old 12-04-2017, 11:45 AM
FrankGRUN
Mountain Pass
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
One of the better aspects of the previous owner's installation of the GearVendors overdrive is that he also regard the differential to 4.56. With the overdrive engaged (0.78:1) the final drive ratio is 3.55:1 - very close to the stock delivery of 3.73:1. As a result, for hills and mountain drives, I get the choose either straight third (4.56:1) or overdrive second (5.19:1). The flexibility of access to 6 forward speeds is quite impressive with this beast. In fact, I have only used 1st, 2nd, overdrive 2nd, 3rd and overdrive 3rd - so a true 5 speed transmission. I also have really appreciated (on my just completed 9,480 mile trip around the country) the ability to quickly switch between overdrive and 3rd with the cruise control fully engaged!

Old 12-04-2017, 12:05 PM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Umm...............Might want to start READING what's been posted before chiming in..............
I am well aware of what was posted, what I entered was not wrong, misleading, or inaccurate.

Shifting the GV is totally independent of the stock transmission and the GV can be engaged or disengaged at full throttle as he has described.

Old 12-04-2017, 12:17 PM
FrankGRUN
Mountain Pass
It is clear from Number Dummy's posts that Ford factory literature, published after 1982, holds that Type F was not used in the C6 after 1976. Nonetheless, I (and possibly many others) have the conundrum that I have a fully functioning C6 without no history of a rebuild that both the printed 1982 FSM (published in 1982) and the dipstick say used Type F under pain of transmission destruction. I don't have access to the 1983 E350 FSM, but I do have the printed 1984 E350 FSM which clearly calls for Dextron II fluid for the C6! I would like to read these contradictions as suggesting Ford made production changes in seals and clutch materials from 1977 on that were compatible with Type F. As time went on, they concluded that those changed seal and clutch materials were also compatible with Dextron II and therefore the Mercon group. Unfortunately, I have no facts to justify such a scenario. Its also possible that all the engineers who were involved with the truck application of the C6 retired in 1983 and the newcomers lost all the records from 1977 to 1982. Then in 1988 they published the referenced fluid guide!

As I indicated before, my concern is overheating. Running up mountains in 3rd or overdrive second still imparts more stress on the transmission than was the case in the stock configuration driving in second.

As a result of your comments and several other suggestions from other threads here on FTE, I'm considering going over to Amsoil Super Shift Racing Transmission Fluid which is a modern synthetic and specifically cites its equivalency to Type F ATF.

All comments greatly appreciated

The following users liked this post:
Old 12-04-2017, 12:30 PM
FrankGRUN
Mountain Pass
Just a quick post to reproduce here what I just found on the topic. This is from Matthewq4b, posting in 1967-1972 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks:

"That is right. Type F has a really strong additive package and was originally used in transmissions with Bronze clutches. Type F was used to prevent excessive slipping during shifting and burning up the bronze clutches.

Dexon fluids as you say are more slippery, at allows the clutches to slip more when shifting allowing for smoother shifts. The trade off is needing higher clutch pressures and a higher spec material than the organic Type F ones.

Putting Type F in a Dexron tranny or a tranny with dexron spec clutches will do no damage to the transmission at all. Firming up the shifts will be the only side effect. Also using Type F in a Dexron III trans that is starting to slip a bit will extend the life span before a replacement becomes necessary.

Putting Dexron in a Type F trans will kill it in short order. The clutches are not designed to handle the extra slipping for the softer shifts, Dexron promotes some slipping in the clutches when shifting. Type F transmissions in some cases have lower shift pressures for the clutch packs not to mention a lower spec clutch material, and they will not hold properly when shifting and start slipping in short order on Dexron.

Just putting Dexron spec clutches in a Type F transmission does not necessarily make it a Dexron capable trans, shift pressures may also need to be increased, you may just end up with a trans with a shorter life span in a Type F trans using Dexron spec clutches and fluid with no other changes.

Putting Dexron spec clutches in a Type F trans then using Type F in it or using a Type F In a dexron trans can yield a near life time longevity unit.

In my experience Type F equipped transmissions tend to last longer.

So when in doubt use Type F.

And you can add Type F to Dexron no prob a liter of Type F will convert several liters of Dexron to Type F Characteristics."

You can find the full thread at:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...d-in-a-c6.html

The following users liked this post:
Old 12-05-2017, 08:55 PM
baddad457
Post Fiend
I am well aware of what was posted, what I entered was not wrong, misleading, or inaccurate.

Shifting the GV is totally independent of the stock transmission and the GV can be engaged or disengaged at full throttle as he has described.
And that's got nothing to do with what I posted about using OD climbing hills. Using a taller gear generates more heat. And the wording you posted led everyone to believe he didn't have overdrive which was misleading. And I never posted anything saying a C6 had overdrive from the factory. You got called on something you're embarrassed about now, so grin and bear it.

Old 12-05-2017, 09:58 PM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
And that's got nothing to do with what I posted about using OD climbing hills. Using a taller gear generates more heat. And the wording you posted led everyone to believe he didn't have overdrive which was misleading. And I never posted anything saying a C6 had overdrive from the factory. You got called on something you're embarrassed about now, so grin and bear it.
Not embarrassed, your post sounded like you were saying a C6 has overdrive. You "got called on it", get over it.
Move on with your life. Seriously, it isn't that big a deal.

As far as shifting a GV, it is totally independent of the factory transmission and how it shifts or makes heat. And Frank seems very well versed on its use since he is the one driving it all over the country.

Old 12-05-2017, 10:15 PM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Not embarrassed, your post sounded like you were saying a C6 has overdrive. You "got called on it", get over it.
Move on with your life. Seriously, it isn't that big a deal.

As far as shifting a GV, it is totally independent of the factory transmission and how it shifts or makes heat. And Frank seems very well versed on its use since he is the one driving it all over the country.
​​​​​You were the only one who questioned it. So.............. It must be a big deal . As I said, I never said a C6 had overdrive from the factory. Words mean things, don't read something into what's posted.
​​​​

Old 12-05-2017, 11:01 PM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
​​​​​You were the only one who questioned it. So.............. It must be a big deal . As I said, I never said a C6 had overdrive from the factory. Words mean things, don't read something into what's posted.
​​​​
Words mean things, OK since I can see you are going full mental on this, let's diagram the sentence in your post.

To avoid undue stress on the C6, keep it out of OD climbing hills. That'll build heat faster than snything
The subject is the understood (you) since you are telling him what to do, as if he doesn't already know how to drive the vehicle in which he is traveling around the country.
The verb is "keep".
The object of the verb keep in this sentence is "it".
"It" is a pronoun.
A pronoun takes the place of a noun.
The only other noun in your sentence for "it" to replace is the proper noun "C6", a model of Ford transmission.
Your post literally says to keep the C6 out of overdrive.
My reply truthfully says that a C6 does not have overdrive. That post was simply a clarification of what a C6 is and was not intended to get you bent out of shape. But here we are. Because believe it or not there actually ARE people who read this forum that don't remember way back that far and who are not aware of that info. And in looking up this post in a search for transmission fluid they could possibly get sidetracked by your poorly worded post.
Also, you misspelled "anything".
And I am also the only one so far that has pointed that out as well.

So if you want to continue to perpetuate this argument that you are losing, I will be happy to school you in grammar some more. If you want to growl and get rude, I can do that too.

Old 12-06-2017, 04:43 AM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Whatever dude, Fact remains that you were the only one who apparently didn't understand what I posted. But you got called on it and now you're throwing a temper tantrum. Your lengthly post above proves that.

Old 12-06-2017, 05:12 AM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Whatever dude, Fact remains that you were the only one who apparently didn't understand what I posted. But you got called on it and now you're throwing a temper tantrum. Your lengthly post above proves that.
It proves you just got schooled and that's your weak reply?

You got called on it and tried to flip it on me and it didn't work.
Take it like a man and move on. Or keep whining. Totally your call.