Wireless Camera on Fifth Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 10:48 PM
WarDamnEagle!
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wireless Camera on Fifth Wheel

I just picked up a 2016 Bighorn to drag around the country with my Platty! Woohoo! It does not have a camera on the rear of the coach. Please give me input on camera model likes and dislikes and/or if they are even worth the hassle. I grew up using mirrors to back up, hardly ever use my camera in the truck, however I do like the warning before I hit something, but never had this big of a wall behind me.

Old 07-29-2017, 11:39 PM
pjones1969
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is it pre-wired and already has the bracket installed? My Cyclone was and I installed the Furrion High Speed Observation / Backup Camera, model FOS48TA-BL.

I can't say I really use it for backing but I really like seeing what's going on behind the trailer while moving down the road.

Attached Images  
Old 07-30-2017, 07:31 AM
SecondChance
Tuned
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by pjones1969
Is it pre-wired and already has the bracket installed? My Cyclone was and I installed the Furrion High Speed Observation / Backup Camera, model FOS48TA-BL.

I can't say I really use it for backing but I really like seeing what's going on behind the trailer while moving down the road.
X2 ^^. The FOS48TA-BL is a full-time rear view monitor, not just a backup camera. It's pretty wide-angle for backing up, but does help some. Mostly, it's hand for knowing you're in the green zone for pulling back over when passing semis going up mountain passes, etc.

Rob

Old 07-30-2017, 08:20 AM
brickman
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Have a Voyager Wisight, wireless on mine and I wouldn't recommend it, the picture quality is craptacular & jumpy and the monitor is a big clunky thing that looks like something from the 80's. Having said that I wouldn't be without one, just not this one.

Old 07-30-2017, 09:20 AM
HouseMouse
Elder User
Thank You for reviving my interest in a Wireless Camera. I have searched high and low for the Correct one. Believe me there is quite a bit of low level junk out there. Some with some features but, most without..... Just ordered the Furrion Kit. This Kit comes highly rated across the spectrum.

Old 07-30-2017, 11:04 AM
WarDamnEagle!
Freshman User

Really not sure what's on the back of it yet. Take delivery sometime this week. One thing I read in the forum was to look for the option of night vision. If this one has it, what's the quality?

Old 08-02-2017, 05:51 AM
ct diesel
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Funny thing, I bought a Garmin RV760 with a wireless backup camera. Then I bought the extension cord to get better transmission and reception. Only problem is that I am waiting for my son the master electrician to install the unit over a year now. Think I'll give him a call.

Old 08-02-2017, 06:08 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by ct diesel
Funny thing, I bought a Garmin RV760 with a wireless backup camera. Then I bought the extension cord to get better transmission and reception. Only problem is that I am waiting for my son the master electrician to install the unit over a year now. Think I'll give him a call.
its easy.. mostly is being under the trailer

I have the Garmin dezl 770 "trucker" GPS .. the extension cable and the BC-30 backup camera... works well... over a year now.

I have the camera powered by the trailer running lights.. and transmitter is mounted between the propane tanks.

Old 08-02-2017, 06:59 AM
pjones1969
Junior User
Originally Posted by WarDamnEagle!
Really not sure what's on the back of it yet. Take delivery sometime this week. One thing I read in the forum was to look for the option of night vision. If this one has it, what's the quality?
Being a Heartland I would bet it has the bracket below already installed, the power pigtail may be wired to the running lights, where you would have to have them on in order for it to work. My Cyclone was hot wired to the front buss connection and needed a 10amp fuse to complete the circuit.

I don't think Furrion has "real" night vision, I can make out what's behind me but not in detail.

Attached Images  
Old 08-02-2017, 10:49 AM
WarDamnEagle!
Freshman User
Being a Heartland I would bet it has the bracket below already installed, the power pigtail may be wired to the running lights, where you would have to have them on in order for it to work. My Cyclone was hot wired to the front buss connection and needed a 10amp fuse to complete the circuit.

I don't think Furrion has "real" night vision, I can make out what's behind me but not in detail.
Not so lucky! It's not prepped. Ugh

Old 08-02-2017, 11:26 AM
pjones1969
Junior User
Originally Posted by WarDamnEagle!
Not so lucky! It's not prepped. Ugh
Not a big deal at all to tie into your running lights

If you haven't already, look at the Heartland Owners Forum, its very active and lots of good people and info there

https://www.heartlandowners.org/forum.php

Old 08-02-2017, 02:18 PM
WarDamnEagle!
Freshman User
Not a big deal at all to tie into your running lights

If you haven't already, look at the Heartland Owners Forum, its very active and lots of good people and info there

https://www.heartlandowners.org/forum.php
Thank you! Just signed up