Struggling With Mirrors While Towing - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > 2017+ Super Duty
Reload this Page >

Struggling With Mirrors While Towing

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Old 08-20-2018, 10:04 AM
C_Smitty
Senior User
C_Smitty is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.

I only have a 30ft fifth wheel toy hauler but for whatever reason I struggle with the mirrors. And yes I have them fully telescoped. I can't even seem to see the rear of the trailer no matter how much I try to adjust them making it a challenge to change lanes or park. Does anyone know if there are any options/devices out there that help? Or maybe someone had similar issues and found what they were doing wrong...

Old 08-20-2018, 12:25 PM
blueglide
Senior User
blueglide is starting off with a positive reputation.
I rely on my rear view camera on my fifth wheel to see what's immediately behind me. I leave the mirrors in and use them to see alongside the fiver.

Old 08-20-2018, 12:40 PM
Tricon
Postmaster
Tricon has a good reputation on FTE.Tricon has a good reputation on FTE.
I have a 27' toy hauler, I can see the end of my trailer and quite a bit past it in the convex mirror...do you have a pic of what you are seeing? I can't imagine how you can't see back that far?

Old 08-20-2018, 02:07 PM
Brother_Bluto
Senior User
Brother_Bluto is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by blueglide View Post
I rely on my rear view camera on my fifth wheel to see what's immediately behind me. I leave the mirrors in and use them to see alongside the fiver.
Same here. The rear view camera to monitor traffic behind is a must IMO. Having come from GMC... I can tell you the Ford's towing mirrors are 100x better than GM's.

Old 08-20-2018, 02:41 PM
bitNine
Senior User
bitNine is starting off with a positive reputation.
Everyone here talks crap about the Ram tow mirrors, but they are far superior in almost every way, compared to the ones on the SD. They gave a better view of the back of the trailer because they stuck out a bit more. SD needs another 3" of telescope, IMO. It is my biggest gripe about this truck.

Old 08-20-2018, 02:42 PM
C_Smitty
Senior User
I'll have to try the rear view trailer camera thing again. I think the last time we tried it while driving it was kind of spotty. The picture would come and go for whatever reason...

Old 08-20-2018, 02:43 PM
C_Smitty
Senior User
Originally Posted by bitNine View Post
Everyone here talks crap about the Ram tow mirrors, but they are far superior in almost every way, compared to the ones on the SD. They gave a better view of the back of the trailer because they stuck out a bit more. SD needs another 3" of telescope, IMO. It is my biggest gripe about this truck.
I kind of thought the same thing like if they would just go out 2-3 inches more...

Old 08-20-2018, 03:03 PM
PentaPop
Senior User
PentaPop is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I’m with Tricon. Something doesn’t sound right. I think the mirrors on my 04 F250 actually extended a bit farther out but these make up for it by having the larger convex section.

Old 08-20-2018, 03:11 PM
bigred460ci
Senior User
bigred460ci is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by PentaPop View Post
I’m with Tricon. Something doesn’t sound right. I think the mirrors on my 04 F250 actually extended a bit farther out but these make up for it by having the larger convex section.
I am not a fan of the larger convex section on my '18, would rather the standard mirror section was bigger. I'd take my mirrors from my '05 F350 over these anyday. And yes I agree I believe my '05's extended further.

Old 08-20-2018, 03:20 PM
wrvond
Posting Guru
wrvond has a very good reputation on FTE.wrvond has a very good reputation on FTE.wrvond has a very good reputation on FTE.
I adjust mine so that I can just see the outside of the fender in the lower inside corner of the large mirror and the convex mirrors are adjust out as far as possible.
This combination allows me to see the rear corner of the truck, the front corner of the camper, the rear corner of the camper, and any traffic I might pass or is in the process of passing me.
I tow TT's and 5ers ranging from 17 feet long to 43 feet long. Sometimes I do feel the tow mirrors on my 2012 gave a larger view. But that is mostly with the convex mirror that I think used to be a bit taller.

Old 08-20-2018, 03:20 PM
Xwild
Elder User
Xwild is starting off with a positive reputation.
on a 102" trailer, you'll mostly just see down the sides.. but should still be able to tell where the back of the trailer is. my enclosed bumper pull is 30ish feet long, 102" wide, and I can see the tail end. Can't see a darn thing that's behind it and less than about a mile back, but if it's behind me, I don't really care.

Old 08-20-2018, 03:39 PM
PentaPop
Senior User
PentaPop is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by bigred460ci View Post
I dislike the larger convex section on my '18, would rather the standard mirror section was bigger. I'd take my mirrors from my '05 F350 over these anyday. And yes I agree I believe my '05's extended further.
You really donít like them? Even on my 04 I used the convex section more than the bigger section. I think thatís probably why I like these new mirrors better. Bought my 04 when I was in my 30ís and just bought this 18 in my 50ís. The way my eyes changed over that 14 years, I can use all the bigger mirrors, displays and screens I can get!

Old 08-20-2018, 03:45 PM
bigred460ci
Senior User
bigred460ci is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by PentaPop View Post

You really donít like them? Even on my 04 I used the convex section more than the bigger section. I think thatís probably why I like these new mirrors better. Bought my 04 when I was in my 30ís and just bought this 18 in my 50ís. The way my eyes changed over that 14 years, I can use all the bigger mirrors, displays and screens I can get!
Yes I am not a fan of them. Not saying I won't get used to them but right now I'm missing my 05 mirrors, especially when I'm backing up with my truck camper on and a trailer attached.

Old 08-20-2018, 04:13 PM
Tricon
Postmaster
Tricon has a good reputation on FTE.Tricon has a good reputation on FTE.
Funny how different everyone is, I love these mirrors and exclusively use the convex portion. The larger part of the mirror might is completely wasted on me, daily driving or towing I'm looking at the convex portion only.

Old 08-20-2018, 04:19 PM
toymaster
Elder User
toymaster is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by C_Smitty View Post
..... I can't even seem to see the rear of the trailer no matter how much I try to adjust them making it a challenge to change lanes or park.......
The mirrors are so you can see down the length of a trailer, not behind it. The whole "line of sight thing", light traveling in a straight line thing 'ya know. To see even a portion behind the trailer the mirrors would need to be several feet extended.

I do agree with other comments that the convex mirror could be shrunk down by about an inch in height or the flat mirror just made taller.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.