Notices
2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Due factory tow mirrors have any blind spots?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 06:15 PM
Paulford8
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Due factory tow mirrors have any blind spots?

Bought some factory tow mirrors from Crash and Smash, just installed them last night. Today I pulled the camper out into the drive to wash, and pulled around the block to re-park.

I was trying to watch cars behind to see if they ever disappeared but I really didnt drive far enough to sample. Has anybody noticed a blind spot in these? Just curios... If it is even close to this nice in a week or two we will take our first camping trip of the year.

Old 04-01-2010, 06:49 PM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Every mirror has a blind spot.You could end up with a vehicle quite close to the rear of the trailer and not be able to see it. Park in a lot and have somebody walk in the area behind the trailer while you sit in the drivers seat. As they walk around you will be able to note where they appear in and disappear from view. A great aid is if you have something to mark the area of blindness you can then get out and take a look at the space and gain a feel for it.

Another thing you need to practice in a parking lot is backing the truck/trailer combo before you get to the campground. Set up some cones or something and have your companion try to direct you into a space such as you will find in the RV park. A set of two way radios work so much better than somebody yelling directions. One of the best forms of entertainments for people in the park is watching new RV'ers trying to get their rig into a space.

Try to remember that if you put your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel (6 o'clock ) the back end of the trailer will go the direction that you move the wheel. ie; If you move the hand to the right ( counterclockwise ) the rear of the trailer will move to the right/passenger side. Conversely if you move your hand to the clockwise direction the rear of the trailer will move to the drivers side.

When you get to the space take it easy. It really messes up the mood of the trip if you run over the water or power point.

Go slow!!! Do not yell at your ground guide!!!

Enjoy things, with time you will become one of the people watching and helping a new RV'er.

Old 04-01-2010, 06:55 PM
plumber01
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by shorebird
Every mirror has a blind spot.You could end up with a vehicle quite close to the rear of the trailer and not be able to see it. Park in a lot and have somebody walk in the area behind the trailer while you sit in the drivers seat. As they walk around you will be able to note where they appear in and disappear from view. A great aid is if you have something to mark the area of blindness you can then get out and take a look at the space and gain a feel for it.
Great Suggestion, I have used the same idea but with a garbage can (by myself) and did ok

Old 04-01-2010, 08:39 PM
Hybris
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by plumber01
Great Suggestion, I have used the same idea but with a garbage can (by myself) and did ok
I take it that the garbage can survived?

Old 04-01-2010, 08:42 PM
plumber01
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Hybris
I take it that the garbage can survived?
BARELY

Old 04-02-2010, 08:07 AM
Paulford8
Senior User
Originally Posted by shorebird

Another thing you need to practice in a parking lot is backing the truck/trailer combo before you get to the campground. Set up some cones or something and have your companion try to direct you into a space such as you will find in the RV park. A set of two way radios work so much better than somebody yelling directions. One of the best forms of entertainments for people in the park is watching new RV'ers trying to get their rig into a space.

Try to remember that if you put your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel (6 o'clock ) the back end of the trailer will go the direction that you move the wheel. ie; If you move the hand to the right ( counterclockwise ) the rear of the trailer will move to the right/passenger side. Conversely if you move your hand to the clockwise direction the rear of the trailer will move to the drivers side.

When you get to the space take it easy. It really messes up the mood of the trip if you run over the water or power point.

Go slow!!! Do not yell at your ground guide!!!

Enjoy things, with time you will become one of the people watching and helping a new RV'er.
I did some towing with the old regular mirrors with stick-on convex mirrors added. Usually when a car was coming and disappeared I was able to pick it up in the convex.

I am really hoping these tow mirrors will be better than that set-up. Just the little bit of driving I have done since the install says yes. Good tips on preparing to tow... I am decent at backing up as I have backed boats down ramps and backed a few campers up. I have seen people have to have strangers back their rigs in because they cant back it in.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:47 AM
JTreibs
Junior User
I have the tow mirrors on my 2010 Lariat.

If you aim the convex mirrors correct you can see almost everything.

The one blind spot that has almost bit me a couple of times is in FRONT of the mirrow when I am turning left (you can miss people walking across the road in front of you).

Old 04-04-2010, 04:44 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with JTreibs. I haven't noticed any blind spots yet to the rear, but it's easy to miss something smaller like a pedestrian to the front while turning left. Just be sure to look into both mirrors (the rear view and convex) and you'll do ok if the adjustment is correct. These tow mirrors beat the tar out of the 99-07 SD tow mirrors.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:37 PM
JAC4X4
Junior User
Originally Posted by Greg B
I agree with JTreibs. I haven't noticed any blind spots yet to the rear, but it's easy to miss something smaller like a pedestrian to the front while turning left. Just be sure to look into both mirrors (the rear view and convex) and you'll do ok if the adjustment is correct. These tow mirrors beat the tar out of the 99-07 SD tow mirrors.
I agree, you can loose site of even small cars in front to the left behind those big old mirrors