Fox Single Steering Stabilizer - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > 2017+ Super Duty
Reload this Page >

Fox Single Steering Stabilizer

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Old 07-23-2017, 06:34 PM
CopperCore
Junior User
CopperCore is starting off with a positive reputation.

As noted in the other stabilizer thread, people are buying the Fox 985-24-001 Steering Stabilizer, some say it won't work and others say it will.

Here are my results as I now have it installed, as you can see in the photos they are the same length extended. But, when pushed in the stock unit was about 1-7/8" shorter than the Fox pushed in, the Fox unit immediately began extending out so getting a photo was difficult. This caused concern that it was that much longer than stock when in, but I installed it anyway. Stock was like 17" and the Fox was just under 19". After getting it installed I turned all the way left and it was good, then to the right and it bottoms out on the shaft wiper/donut right as the steering knuckle hits the stop. Is this out of spec. with Fox, I'm sure it is, do they design another 1/4" or so of clearance inside when the donut bottoms out? I hope so. Will that donut wiper eventually be obliterated, probably. Had my wife get in and crank right and it bottoms on donut and knuckle stop at same time. The last photo is cranked right and relaxed as you let go of wheel.

I have the 2" BDS Level kit (with Foxes) and as others have complained, the steering was light and floaty, unstable and pretty much white knuckle at high speed (although I've gotten used to it recently.) So after getting it installed, I went and drove it, is this a great 100% better upgrade, no. Is this substantially better than it was and a good upgrade, yes. I like it, we drove to Cali. a few weeks ago and I wish this was done then. Tracks straight, much more stable and worth the $150 I paid for it. Am I concerned about the long term durability with the shock hitting bottom out, maybe. I just put 40 miles on the truck today and made two right turns that hit full lock and they both made a bottom out sound. All that said, I have no regrets buying it as its much better than I had. If it wasn't white knuckle already I would have waited but again, no regrets.

Old 07-23-2017, 06:47 PM
brandontolentino
Senior User
brandontolentino is starting off with a positive reputation.
I spoke with the Fox rep at my local 4WP show today. He said they didn't have anything for the 2017s yet, and didnt expect anything til later this year. He said, "yeah, they changed the lengths on us..."

Old 07-23-2017, 06:54 PM
CopperCore
Junior User
I'm sure that someone could weld a threaded boss a little farther in and take care of this issue though, a cheap fix would make this work.

Old 07-23-2017, 07:32 PM
boulderbronco
Senior User
boulderbronco is starting off with a positive reputation.
Bottoming will eventually cause failure. So I would wait and do it right. Is the tie rod end not adjustable for length?
Also, that is a gas/nitrogen charged SHOCK. It is NOT a steering stabilizer. A steering stabilizer is basically an oil shock. The difference between gas and oil is the gas (nitrogen) is under pressure. Hence why your shock extends on it's own. The oil is not under pressure and will not do this. Which is why your stock stabilizer does not extend on it's own. At the end of the day, if you don't notice a problem it really isn't a problem. But typically when you install a nitrogen charged shock as a steering stabilizer, it is pushing your steering one way and you can notice it. These trucks are probably heavy enough not to feel this slight push. But I would still opt for a proper stabilizer.

Old 07-24-2017, 12:58 PM
kylant
Elder User
kylant is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by boulderbronco View Post
Also, that is a gas/nitrogen charged SHOCK. It is NOT a steering stabilizer. A steering stabilizer is basically an oil shock. The difference between gas and oil is the gas (nitrogen) is under pressure. Hence why your shock extends on it's own. The oil is not under pressure and will not do this. Which is why your stock stabilizer does not extend on it's own. At the end of the day, if you don't notice a problem it really isn't a problem. But typically when you install a nitrogen charged shock as a steering stabilizer, it is pushing your steering one way and you can notice it. These trucks are probably heavy enough not to feel this slight push. But I would still opt for a proper stabilizer.
all the late model steering stabilizers I have used are nitrogen charged and NOT just a "shock." I'm sure Carli doesn't just throw a "shock" out and call it a stabilizer. I don't think your assessment of stabilizers is correct in all situations.

OP.
does the shaft actually bottom at full lock, or does the wiper donut just bottom and there is still travel in the shaft?

I would like to see the actual dimensions of the mounting locations on the truck compared to the older models. My buddy has a '16, F250, maybe I will measure his stock locations and post back

Old 07-24-2017, 02:04 PM
CopperCore
Junior User
Originally Posted by kylant View Post
all the late model steering stabilizers I have used are nitrogen charged and NOT just a "shock." I'm sure Carli doesn't just throw a "shock" out and call it a stabilizer. I don't think your assessment of stabilizers is correct in all situations.

OP.
does the shaft actually bottom at full lock, or does the wiper donut just bottom and there is still travel in the shaft?

I would like to see the actual dimensions of the mounting locations on the truck compared to the older models. My buddy has a '16, F250, maybe I will measure his stock locations and post back
Had my wife jump in and crank it right, as the steering knuckle hit the stop, the donut was smashed pretty good, I'm sure that they engineer interior clearance when the shocks bottoms. Drove the truck this morning and I'm happy with it, it's worth the upgrade, drives so much better.

Old 07-24-2017, 03:26 PM
LiquidSteam
Posting Guru
LiquidSteam is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
So bottom line is ..... Fox doesn't make a stabilizer for the 2017 SD....

Old 07-24-2017, 04:42 PM
BGMSPD
Elder User
BGMSPD is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by boulderbronco View Post
Bottoming will eventually cause failure. So I would wait and do it right. Is the tie rod end not adjustable for length?
It's definitely a good point. I never thought about why the stock steering stabilizer was never under pressure. So essentially, and not necessarily with our trucks, you'll have to overcome whatever pressure is on one side of the shock but have softer steering to the other side with the assistance of the shock. It makes sense to me.

Old 07-26-2017, 05:34 AM
lifelineamb
Junior User
lifelineamb is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I was having pretty wild feedback at highway speeds and on some of the crappier roads around here (terra grappler 285/75/18, fuel beast +1 offset wheels)so I took a chance and installed this Fox steering stabilizer (same wrong part as the others). The difference is night and day at lower speeds (30-50) so I assume it will also be improved at highway speeds, I just haunt been on the highway since installing the part. If by chance the part gets destroyed form going full lock too many times, I will replace it with the correct part if it is ever released.

Old 07-28-2017, 09:00 PM
CopperCore
Junior User
Originally Posted by lifelineamb View Post
I was having pretty wild feedback at highway speeds and on some of the crappier roads around here (terra grappler 285/75/18, fuel beast +1 offset wheels)so I took a chance and installed this Fox steering stabilizer (same wrong part as the others). The difference is night and day at lower speeds (30-50) so I assume it will also be improved at highway speeds, I just haunt been on the highway since installing the part. If by chance the part gets destroyed form going full lock too many times, I will replace it with the correct part if it is ever released.
Amen, so for so good. Put about 500 600 miles on the truck this week and works great, no problems and no clunks aside from that first day, must've been the steering linkage shaft that was rotated and needed to go back to normal. It works for me!

Old 09-05-2017, 08:37 AM
kylant
Elder User
I bought this stabilizer a few weeks ago, it has been sitting on my bench.
I noticed Fox updated their website recently and now includes the '17 SD listed for this part number.
I went ahead and installed yesterday. The stabilizer is indeed the same extended length as the factory one. The compressed length is 1.5" longer than stock.
I had my wife cycle the steering back and forth. At full lock turning right, the little shaft rubber donut is compressed some, but not terribly. That donut really doesn't do anything anyway. Once it is at a certain location, it doesn't move. It doesn't wipe the shaft when the shaft compresses, the actual seal on the shock does that. The donuts on my shocks have not moved.
I have not driven the truck yet, so I don't know how it performs.
The stock stabilizer need a fair amount of force to compress it, I was shocked actually

Old 11-06-2017, 07:07 AM
Frac Master
New User
Frac Master is starting off with a positive reputation.
Has there been any other updates on this FOX Steering Stabilizer and how its making out? Has anyone tried the Bilstein 5100 stabilizer and ran into the same problems?

Old 11-06-2017, 08:55 AM
kylant
Elder User
2 months of driving with the Fox stabilizer. no problems

Old 11-06-2017, 11:04 AM
afacey
Senior User
afacey is starting off with a positive reputation.
any change in steering behavior compared to the stocker? Please let us know

Old 11-06-2017, 12:25 PM
honda250xtitan
Senior User
honda250xtitan is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by kylant View Post
The stock stabilizer need a fair amount of force to compress it, I was shocked actually
HA!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fox Single Steering Stabilizer

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.