Having XLT remorse... - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums



2017 Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Having XLT remorse...

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 07-16-2017, 01:06 PM
rednck21 rednck21 is offline
Junior User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Acworth, Ga
Posts: 79
rednck21 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Having XLT remorse...

I love my truck, but now I'm wishing I bought a lariat....specifically with the lariat value package. I wanted a lariat from the get go, but didn't want to spend the extra $5k. The single biggest reason I want a lariat is because of the digital gauges. You can do so much more with them. The leather and a couple other minor things would be nice too. So a word of advise to any potential buyers....buy what you really want first so you don't have any regrets down the road!!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-16-2017, 01:28 PM
Christian's1988Ford's Avatar
Christian's1988Ford Christian's1988Ford is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 478
Christian's1988Ford has a good reputation on FTE.Christian's1988Ford has a good reputation on FTE.Christian's1988Ford has a good reputation on FTE.
On the topic of buying what you really want, I couldn't agree more.

With my F150, it was actually more of buying a truck that didn't have everything I didn't want. I didn't want leather seats, driver assists, chrome, etc, so buying an XLT over a Lariat was perfect, and I have no regrets.

Buy what you want, but also consider what you need. Don't spend $80,000 on a Platinum or Limited, just because it's top-of-the-line. If you only drive 2 miles to work in a smaller town every day like me, you probably won't need cruise control, blind spot detection, lane change warning, parallel parking assist, back-up blind spot warning, etc, that higher trim trucks have, when you can spend $30,000 less on essentially the same truck with all the stuff you want, but without everything you don't need and will probably never use. Plus, lower trims like the XL, XLT, and Lariat give you more options that others don't.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-16-2017, 01:40 PM
NumberDummy's Avatar
NumberDummy NumberDummy is offline
Ford Parts Specialist
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Simi Valley, CA
Posts: 71,375
NumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednck21 View Post
I love my truck, but now I'm wishing I bought a lariat....specifically with the lariat value package. I wanted a lariat from the get go, but didn't want to spend the extra $5k. The single biggest reason I want a lariat is because of the digital gauges. You can do so much more with them.

The leather and a couple other minor things would be nice too.
The leather is very hard with next to no 'give.' There's a very thin layer of foam rubber padding.

Take the truck for a drive, see how long it takes before for your back to begin to ache.

I had a 2011 F150 Lariat Stupor Crew, the first time I drove it 100 miles, my back began to ache like sin. No more leather interiors for this guy!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-16-2017, 01:57 PM
CuNmUdF250's Avatar
CuNmUdF250 CuNmUdF250 is online now
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,687
CuNmUdF250 has a great reputation on FTE.CuNmUdF250 has a great reputation on FTE.CuNmUdF250 has a great reputation on FTE.CuNmUdF250 has a great reputation on FTE.CuNmUdF250 has a great reputation on FTE.
1st world problems , seriously I do agree $5K in the big picture probably won't make or break a guy who's already buying an expensive vehicle as is. The ol saying "ya gotta pay to play" is pretty much always true.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-16-2017, 02:05 PM
dnoel dnoel is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 54
dnoel is starting off with a positive reputation.
The leather seats in the Lariat are very nice, in my opinion. Just finished a trip from northern .CA to Colorado and Utah. Drove all the way home from Utah to Calif on Friday, seats are great...along with everything else on this amazing truck.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-16-2017, 02:12 PM
flanneljunkie's Avatar
flanneljunkie flanneljunkie is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska
Posts: 107
flanneljunkie is starting off with a positive reputation.
Completely agree with you, buy what you want. However, I urge everyone that I can to find the value in what they spend their money on. If the upgraded instrument cluster brings you more value, than opt for the Lariat or above.

I remember building my 2011 F150 and optioning it as a luxury XLT model. After three years of ownership, I didn't care about most of the little features that I optioned it with. As a daily use vehicle and work truck, I just wanted it to work, and that it did.

I also have had the opportunity to put 9650 miles on a brand new king ranch with the powerstroke. Was it awesome? You bet. However, about 1,000 miles into it, I found myself disabling all of the electronic gizmos. I've just found that my driving experience is more fulfilling when I adjust the cruise myself, or turn my high beams on and off on my own. In fact, I thought I'd love the keyless start and entry. Now I know that I don't want a vehicle with it. I found the system to be awkward and didn't do what I wanted it to do. Anyway, what I'm getting at is that we are sold all of these cool new features which drive up the cost. At the end of the day, only purchase those features that bring you value for your dollar.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-16-2017, 02:26 PM
SD2 SD2 is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 62
SD2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednck21 View Post
I love my truck, but now I'm wishing I bought a lariat....specifically with the lariat value package. I wanted a lariat from the get go, but didn't want to spend the extra $5k. The single biggest reason I want a lariat is because of the digital gauges. You can do so much more with them. The leather and a couple other minor things would be nice too. So a word of advise to any potential buyers....buy what you really want first so you don't have any regrets down the road!!
I agree 100%. Sometimes you just got to go for it even with the higher price. The good news is you still got a nice superduty.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-16-2017, 02:32 PM
acadianbob acadianbob is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 121
acadianbob is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuNmUdF250 View Post
1st world problems , seriously I do agree $5K in the big picture probably won't make or break a guy who's already buying an expensive vehicle as is. The ol saying "ya gotta pay to play" is pretty much always true.
Yes. It's like the guy who just dropped $60K on a 5er and $70K on a truck and then complains about fuel mileage or camping fees . . . .

Oh, . . . . and this wasn't intended as a knock on the OP!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-16-2017, 02:34 PM
Tricon's Avatar
Tricon Tricon is online now
Elder User
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: SoCal
Posts: 821
Tricon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I disagree, I bought an XLT and then put katzkin leather in and bought the 8" productivity screen for $165 from a pick your parts. I got everything I wanted from a lariat for about $700 instead of $5-8k more.



Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-16-2017, 02:34 PM
rednck21 rednck21 is offline
Junior User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Acworth, Ga
Posts: 79
rednck21 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I came from a 15 F-150 xlt that was equipped almost exactly how this 250 is equipped so I thought I'd be ok. I know I didn't need all the crazy bells and whistles that a platinum or KR offers, but factory remote start was one of the options I had to have. It's nice to start it a couple minutes a head of time to get the heat or ac going. The led box lighting was something my 150 had that this 250 doesn't. I used it all the time. Remote start and led box lights come with the lariat value package. Oh well. I might keep this one a little longer and sell or trade it. Anyone want to buy a nice xlt?!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-16-2017, 02:35 PM
rednck21 rednck21 is offline
Junior User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Acworth, Ga
Posts: 79
rednck21 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Wait, what!?!?? I can swap in the digital gauges??
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-16-2017, 02:37 PM
Tricon's Avatar
Tricon Tricon is online now
Elder User
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: SoCal
Posts: 821
Tricon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednck21 View Post
Wait, what!?!?? I can swap in the digital gauges??
Yup, it's plug and play. Took maybe 10 minutes to swap out.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-16-2017, 02:38 PM
MisterCMK's Avatar
MisterCMK MisterCMK is offline
Avid Winter Hater
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Maple Grove, MN
Posts: 23,599
MisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputation
So why don't you add the remote start and box lights?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-16-2017, 02:40 PM
Tricon's Avatar
Tricon Tricon is online now
Elder User
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: SoCal
Posts: 821
Tricon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I bought the remote start stuff from a Ford dealer on eBay as well for $225. Remote start/stop and unlock from your phone. You get texts and emails if your alarm goes off. This isn't available from the factory on any trucks, you have to purchase it separately. It's all OEM parts as well.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-16-2017, 02:46 PM
Flooringit Flooringit is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 21
Flooringit is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricon View Post
I bought the remote start stuff from a Ford dealer on eBay as well for $225. Remote start/stop and unlock from your phone. You get texts and emails if your alarm goes off. This isn't available from the factory on any trucks, you have to purchase it separately. It's all OEM parts as well.
Where the info on that? I screwed up bought a truck that was dealer swap. It did not have a few things I wanted. 64k truck didn't have remote start, uggggg. It didn't have the rear slider , and prolly one of the things inneed most was the center console in back seat is not there with food down cup holder. I have a kid in back all the time and he's just gonna spill crap. My fault in the end i had the spec sheet in front of me. But I had 10 of them so it was hard to catch it all.
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lariat 6 seat question and platinum massage seat questions Leonandlisa 2017 Super Duty 5 06-07-2017 07:29 AM
Lariat to Lariat Sport grille swap? tvsjr 2015+ F150 31 05-07-2017 02:58 PM
Swap platinum for lariat tailgate? nullop 2017 Super Duty 13 12-08-2016 08:42 PM
No "LARIAT" Model for 1984? LARIAT 85 1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 9 02-21-2016 08:51 AM
Moonroof - Problems? OKF150 2004 - 2008 F150 18 12-09-2004 11:20 AM


Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums >

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:26 AM.