2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Having XLT remorse...

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 08:30 PM
LiquidSteam
Posting Guru
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by eazmo
i have the xlt ultamate package but truck did not have remote start.
There's no such thing as the XLT Ultimate package. It's either value or premium. The remote start is a separate à la cart add on and has nothing to do with either package. I purchased the value package because I don't like a bunch of chrome all over my truck and I also got the remote start.

Old 07-16-2017, 08:52 PM
Thenewboss
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Funny thing is I went the opposite. I went front a King Ranch 6.7 to a 6.2 XL and couldn't be happier. Suits my my needs and there's far less electronics to worry about. Just my process of learning lessons I suppose.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:30 PM
texrdnec
Mountain Pass
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
i rushed into my truck more than i should have but it called to me. only things that i really wish i had are the tailgate step and memory seats

i had memory seats in my '01 8.1l chevy, why the hell they aren't standard on everything with electric seats i do not know, it is 16 years later afterall

makes it a SOB when my wife takes it down the road

Old 07-16-2017, 09:36 PM
GoldenDomer
Senior User
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tricon
You want a 5th wheel, but you got an F250 instead of an F350, any reason why? F250s have about 2200-2500 payload, 350s are 3200-4400. Not a lot of 5ers with low pin weights like that.
Good question...My payload is right about 2900 lbs and since this will be my first 5th wheel I won't be going to big plus I don't really need anything that big. I also plan on installing air bags to help with any sag. I plan on staying around 10k or below for the trailer. I'm sure I will go bigger later on and my next truck may end up being a DRW. We'll see how it goes though.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:45 PM
Spg01
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GoldenDomer
Good question...My payload is right about 2900 lbs and since this will be my first 5th wheel I won't be going to big plus I don't really need anything that big. I also plan on installing air bags to help with any sag. I plan on staying around 10k or below for the trailer. I'm sure I will go bigger later on and my next truck may end up being a DRW. We'll see how it goes though.
I ended up getting the 350 because after pricing it out there was no difference in price. So I figured why not.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:55 AM
GoldenDomer
Senior User
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
With all things being considered I probably should have went with a F350 but with the minimal differences and me installing air bags I just didn't see it as that big of an issue. I have started looking at some of the specs on some 5th wheels and the pin weights are around 12-1500 lbs. That would leave me with 1400 lbs payload which I think is plenty. However, I'm fairly new to towing anything larger than a enclosed 4x8 trailer so I might be missing something. If I am please let me know. TIA.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:15 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by Ricohman
Can't you get the bigger screen in an XLT?
You sure could with the last trucks. I have the Lariat screen in my XLT.
You *could* but not anymore. At the very beginning of the ordering process, Ford allowed it. But then due to parts shortage or some small package change, you could not. So there are a few early build 2017 XLT Super Duty trucks with the factory 8" cluster.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:30 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Regarding the original poster's topic, you have to remember that somebody is always going to have something bigger and better than you. I've found that you may really want a certain feature initially, but over time they become less important.

I ordered a Lariat Ultimate this time because the one feature I "had to have" was the LED headlights. Turns out they can be retrofitted after the fact, but I did not know it at the time.

In all honesty, the 2017 XLT offers a ton of features you could never get on a 2016 XLT...such as navigation, remote start, and the twin panel moonroof. I was set on buying an XLT diesel until I realized I could not get the LED lights...

Old 07-17-2017, 08:34 AM
crewzer
Logistics Pro
Received 267 Likes on 207 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Tricon
The whole cluster comes as one piece:

This great info from Tricon. Note, however, that the gas engine- and the diesel engine tachs have different ranges, so, if you plan on doing this swap, then make sure you get the correct version. This example above is for a diesel.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

Old 07-17-2017, 08:53 AM
JeepPuller
Fleet Mechanic
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
Finding those clusters for the 6.2 is an exercise in patience and persistence. I spent nearly 9 months looking for one to swap into my 2011 6.2, and this was in 2015. Even after 5 years of trucks on the road, they are not easy to find.

As to 'XLT regret'... to each his own. troverman is correct about there being trucks with 'more' options than you, but conversely there will also be trucks with 'fewer' options than you.

If you look at it pragmatically, the XLT truck often has a higher capability due to fewer heavy options reducing payload. While the shine of a new option may wear off in time, the greater payload will always be appreciated.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:28 AM
crewzer
Logistics Pro
Lightbulb

We also have an XLT, and I must admit that I've gone through some version of "buyer's remorse" regarding our particular truck's configuration.

In no particular order:
  • Perhaps an F250 with camper package instead of a 350 w/ CP, or just a 350 w/o the CP?
  • A Lariat + Value Package instead of the XLT + Premium Pkg to get memory seats, the 8" digital display, dual front HVAC w/ thermostats, a better(?) sound system, better center stack control lighting, a center rear armrest, and the tailgate hookup light?
  • Order the optional heated rear seat available in the Lariat?
  • Delete the optional 240A XXHD alternator and engine block heater?
  • 3.73 vs 4.30 axle ratio (keeping in mind our 4x2 truck's relatively small 18" A/S tires)?
  • Order a 360 camera system?
  • Adaptive steering?
We decided to get the XLT "for now", and I must admit that Ford's XLT incentive helped. However, I find that setting and adjusting the manual A/C system to be a distraction, especially considering how low the controls are. I know: First World problem. However, the well-placed controls for the automatic three-zone HVAC system in our Highlander are a pleasure to use.

If Ford decides in a few years to offer the Push-to-Start feature in the Lariat (like they do in the F150), then we may have to do a trade for what would very likely be our last truck, and we'll have to sort through the various puts-and-takes in the list above.

Otherwise, we do very much like our XLT -- for now.

Regards,
Jim / crewzer

Last edited by crewzer; 07-17-2017 at 10:38 AM. Reason: corrected 4.40 axle ratio to 4.30
Old 07-17-2017, 09:54 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by SDcrewzer
We also have an XLT, and I must admit that I've gone through some version of "buyer's remorse" regarding our particular truck's configuration.

In no particular order:
  • Perhaps an F250 with camper package instead of a 350 w/ CP, or just a 350 w/o the CP?
  • A Lariat + Value Package instead of the XLT + Premium Pkg to get memory seats, the 8" digital display, dual front HVAC w/ thermostats, a better(?) sound system, better center stack control lighting, a center rear armrest, and the tailgate hookup light?
  • Order the optional heated rear seat available in the Lariat?
  • Delete the optional 240A XXHD alternator and engine block heater?
  • 3.73 vs 4.40 axle ratio (keeping in mind our 4x2 truck's relatively small 18" A/S tires)?
  • Order a 360 camera system?
  • Adaptive steering?
We decided to get the XLT "for now", and I must admit that Ford's XLT incentive helped. However, I find that setting and adjusting the manual A/C system to be a distraction, especially considering how low the controls are. I know: First World problem. However, the well-placed controls for the automatic three-zone HVAC system in our Highlander are a pleasure to use.

If Ford decides in a few years to offer the Push-to-Start feature in the Lariat (like they do in the F150), then we may have to do a trade for what would very likely be our last truck, and we'll have to sort through the various puts-and-takes in the list above.

Otherwise, we do very much like our XLT -- for now.

Regards,
Jim / crewzer
Jim, I'm intrigued by a couple of your complaints. Since we have a 2016 F-150 XLT Premium Crew Cab in our family along with my Lariat 2017 Super Duty, I can make a few informed comments. One, the sound system. The Lariat system has "10" speakers instead of the F-150's 7. Basically, you get a somewhat cheesy subwoofer and "two-way" rear door speakers in the Lariat. They count the "two way" speakers as 4 speakers. The Lariat / Sony system is a little better, but not night and day. There is no additional functionality from the Lariat system. The old generation Super Duty (2011-2016) had separate, high-mounted tweeters in the rear door panels as art of their "10" speaker Sony systems.

What do you mean "better" center stack lighting, Lariat vs XLT?

The rear heated seat in my truck works better than the front heated seats. Conversely, a cloth truck with heated front seats also works better than a leather truck with heated / cooled seats due to the heating method.

The alternate rear axle ratio was 4.30, not 4.40.

I find the "manual" climate system in the F-150 works very well. Sometimes the "auto" system in the Lariat does not cool enough when set at, say, 67F on a hot day. Just cold air blowing at a moderate fan speed. The XLT at least does exactly what you tell it to do. But I agree, sometimes his / her temp control is very nice.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:37 AM
crewzer
Logistics Pro
Lightbulb

Fair questions and comments:

I find our XLT's sound system to be rather "thin", as in no apparent bass capability. I supposed I was spoiled by the excellent s/s in our old BMW 530 wagon. I'm hoping that the subwoofer in the higher level trim systems would make an improvement. Perhaps I need to try one out when I'm at my dealer for service...

Some of the XLT's center stack control ***** are difficult (for me) to locate in the dark; I like the Lariat's lighted rings around the larger *****. I find that helpful features like this make driving easier as I get older...

We like the heated seats in our XLT Premium. I just wish that I could also get heated rear seats. And, our son misses our old F250 XLT's arm rest.

Typo on the 4.30. I really do know better...

Our XLT's manual single zone HVAC system "works" just fine, and it can supply plenty of cold air. The heater also work well. However, there's no thermostat, so we have to manually make temperature adjustments depending on external ambient temperature and solar load. And, there's always the "left seat" vs. "right seat" temperature preference issue... The three-zone thermostatically-controlled system in the Highlander and the two-zone TC system in the 530 are (were) much more comfortable, calm, and distraction-free.

From another perspective, my vision, reflexes, and endurance just are not what they used to be (I'm 65-1/2). I've made some personal adjustments to my driving style (i.e., fewer hours behind the wheel, less night-time driving), but anything that I can reasonably do in terms of feature quality to help stay alert, be comfortable, and minimize distractions while driving should be pluses for me and my fellow motorists.

Regards,
Jim / crewzer

Old 07-17-2017, 10:44 AM
SD2
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JeepPuller
Finding those clusters for the 6.2 is an exercise in patience and persistence. I spent nearly 9 months looking for one to swap into my 2011 6.2, and this was in 2015. Even after 5 years of trucks on the road, they are not easy to find.

As to 'XLT regret'... to each his own. troverman is correct about there being trucks with 'more' options than you, but conversely there will also be trucks with 'fewer' options than you.

If you look at it pragmatically, the XLT truck often has a higher capability due to fewer heavy options reducing payload. While the shine of a new option may wear off in time, the greater payload will always be appreciated.
Would you happen to know if someone could buy a Lariat+ cluster for the 6.2 directly from the dealer? Is that an option?

Old 07-17-2017, 10:47 AM
troverman
Hotshot
The subwoofer on the Sony system does add some bass, but one problem is that turning the volume up past halfway causes distortion. Ford has programmed it to soft-clip. You can fix the problem on your XLT by adding an aftermarket "hideaway" subwoofer. There are several excellent subs like this on the market. They are self powered (on board amp) and very compact (designed to fit under or behind seats) and only need to tap into 12V and one of the speaker-level wires to the door speakers. It turns on and off automatically in response to music coming over the door speakers. A sub like this would produce better bass than the factory sub.

You're right, the Lariat does put the little lit rings around the big *****. Looks a touch classier. But I appreciate how on this generation Ford even lit the map reading lamp switches in the ceiling. They did not do that on the previous generation.

I do think one of the best features of these trucks is how quiet the interior is. People don't realize how fatigued you can get "working" in a noisy environment, and that includes driving a vehicle.

Quick Reply: Having XLT remorse...