2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Having XLT remorse...

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 02:47 PM
rednck21
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tricon
Yup, it's plug and play. Took maybe 10 minutes to swap out.
That's awesome. I'd be much happier with the bigger screen. The factory calls it an 8" productivity screen? I searched eBay and didn't see any.

Originally Posted by MisterCMK
So why don't you add the remote start and box lights?
This one has the remote start, but not the box lighting. When I bought this one (Feb), an xlt with remote start was very hard to find at the time. Would the F150 box light kit be the same thing for the 250?

I bought the remote start stuff from a Ford dealer on eBay as well for $225. Remote start/stop and unlock from your phone. You get texts and emails if your alarm goes off. This isn't available from the factory on any trucks, you have to purchase it separately. It's all OEM parts as well.
Can I add the phone app stuff if my truck is already equipped with remote start?

Old 07-16-2017, 02:49 PM
WyoBull
Laughing Gas
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Funny, I went from a Lariat to an XLT in my 2017 and I actually like the cloth seats in my XLT with the Ultimate Package better than my leather I had in the Lariat.

Old 07-16-2017, 03:01 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Yea, the stock leather is really abysmal imo. It's super flat, bunches up, and there's just no padding. Katzkins have a better grade leather, lots of cushioning and look better to boot.

The remote start stuff via the app is completely separate from the factory installed remote start, you can have both. They both are Ford part numbers. Message the user Banner Ford on these boards, they have some special pricing for forum members and will get you hooked up.

Old 07-16-2017, 03:02 PM
Pdaw1541
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WyoBull
Funny, I went from a Lariat to an XLT in my 2017 and I actually like the cloth seats in my XLT with the Ultimate Package better than my leather I had in the Lariat.
I couldnt agree more. I came from a f150 Platinum with full leather and my XLT seats are sooooo much more comfortable.

Tricon, I had no idea that you could swap out the digital gauges, can you do a write up on how its done? I may be interested in that as well.

Old 07-16-2017, 03:03 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
As for the box lighting, are you talking about the two LED lights in the rear of the bed? You should be able to add those after the fact. Just check to see if the wire harness is there already. If not, just run power to a switch and ground them on the frame and you're good to go.

Old 07-16-2017, 03:05 PM
rednck21
Junior User
Tricon, when you bought the productivity screen did it come with the tach and speedo? Did you have to do any programming for it?

Old 07-16-2017, 03:06 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Pdaw1541
I couldnt agree more. I came from a f150 Platinum with full leather and my XLT seats are sooooo much more comfortable.

Tricon, I had no idea that you could swap out the digital gauges, can you do a write up on how its done? I may be interested in that as well.
I can, but in all honesty, it's like a 10 minute swap. You pry the two dash pieces off surrounding the cluster. You'll see 6 hex bolts, unscrew those, pull the cluster out, unplug it, plug the new one in and screw it back in and you're good to go.

I'd start calling pick your parts places for wrecked platinums and lariats. My dash had 18 miles on it, poor sucker totaled a brand new Platinum with 18 miles on it... His loss, my gain

Old 07-16-2017, 03:08 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
The whole cluster comes as one piece:

Old 07-16-2017, 03:08 PM
WyoBull
Laughing Gas
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Pdaw1541

I think the XLT Ultimate package is the best package that balances some of the nicer add ons, like heated seats (really like them here during the Wyoming winters) and things that bring value to me but not a lot of the whiz bang gizmos that I could care less about. I have a couple of other things like the box lighting, camper package and FX4 package and that is all I need. Oh, I also like the split bench front seat also rather than the center console, which I also had in my Lariat.

Old 07-16-2017, 03:11 PM
BLUENGRAY05FX4
Senior User
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by rednck21
I came from a 15 F-150 xlt that was equipped almost exactly how this 250 is equipped so I thought I'd be ok. I know I didn't need all the crazy bells and whistles that a platinum or KR offers, but factory remote start was one of the options I had to have. It's nice to start it a couple minutes a head of time to get the heat or ac going. The led box lighting was something my 150 had that this 250 doesn't. I used it all the time. Remote start and led box lights come with the lariat value package. Oh well. I might keep this one a little longer and sell or trade it. Anyone want to buy a nice xlt?!
I'm coming from a "loaded" '05 F150 FX4... the '17 F250 XLT we ordered is WORLDS ahead of what we had. Everything you mention missing except the gauges could have been ordered in a XLT, that's why we decided to be patient and order the truck like we wanted it. I didn't want the spray in factory bedliner or the factory navigation. I did want BLIS and the camera system... no dealer would order that for inventory, so here we are waiting.

Old 07-16-2017, 03:12 PM
rednck21
Junior User
The whole cluster comes as one piece:

I went to the garage and looked at mine and see what your talking about now. It does look easy to swap!! So the mileage that was on your new cluster is what registered, not the actual miles on your truck?

Old 07-16-2017, 03:16 PM
rednck21
Junior User
Originally Posted by BLUENGRAY05FX4
I'm coming from a "loaded" '05 F150 FX4... the '17 F250 XLT we ordered is WORLDS ahead of what we had. Everything you mention missing except the gauges could have been ordered in a XLT, that's why we decided to be patient and order the truck like we wanted it. I didn't want the spray in factory bedliner or the factory navigation. I did want BLIS and the camera system... no dealer would order that for inventory, so here we are waiting.

I started to order one, but the dealer didn't want to give me the price until it showed up on the lot! Your right...those factory bedliners are junk compared to bullet or line x.

Old 07-16-2017, 03:18 PM
LiquidSteam
Posting Guru
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
To be fair.... Tricon found a unicorn deal on the gauge cluster as I can't find one at all except (ford dealer $800).... however the katzkin leather is super soft and by all reports an easy install. So even if you had to pay $800 for the cluster and $600 for the leather it's much better than $5000. Not sure exactly what else the lariat offers though without some research.

Old 07-16-2017, 03:19 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by rednck21
I went to the garage and looked at mine and see what your talking about now. It does look easy to swap!! So the mileage that was on your new cluster is what registered, not the actual miles on your truck?
Yes, you'll acquire the new clusters mileage. You can up the mileage in FORscan to match yours apparently, or just wire a mileage statement. I haven't looked into it much. I swapped mine out at like 900 miles.

Old 07-16-2017, 03:20 PM
dtaylor1
Senior User
I'm going from a 2011 F150 FX4 to the 17 F250 XLT. I couldn't see paying the extra 5K for the Lariat. I can add nicer Leather for $515. Replace the bigger center screen. Maybe change the steering wheel. I should be able to all of that for under $1200. What else is missing from the XLT to the Lariat ?

Plus in my area the XL and XLT's get a bigger rebate. And I'm guessing lower tax and insurance rates.

Quick Reply: Having XLT remorse...