2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera ???

Old 07-13-2017, 12:55 AM
duckduke
More Turbo
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera ???

I know that this typically includes the rear view camera, CHSML camera, and series of cameras making up the 360 degree viewing.

If you did not order Ultimate Tow Camera....... but you do have Sync 3 w/ 8" touch screen and rear view camera........... can the other cameras in the Ultimate Camera System (CHSML and 360 series cameras) be added very easily????? Or is this cost prohibitive to almost impossible??

Thanks for any info!!

Old 07-13-2017, 12:32 PM
duckduke
More Turbo
I guess no one has thought about this or tried???

Old 07-13-2017, 02:16 PM
flanneljunkie
Tuned
Received 75 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by duckduke
I know that this typically includes the rear view camera, CHSML camera, and series of cameras making up the 360 degree viewing.

If you did not order Ultimate Tow Camera....... but you do have Sync 3 w/ 8" touch screen and rear view camera........... can the other cameras in the Ultimate Camera System (CHSML and 360 series cameras) be added very easily????? Or is this cost prohibitive to almost impossible??

Thanks for any info!!
I'm betting cost prohibitive to nearly impossible. The cameras that make up the 360 and CHMSL will likely require a lot of replacement parts, wiring, and removal of the headliner (maybe?). After all of that, Sync will likely need to be flashed/reprogrammed to enable all of the cameras and features. If I had a truck with just the backup camera, the only other one that I'd really like to have is the CHMSL.

I'd say test drive a truck with all of them, use them several times, and determine if it is really that important. The only two that I really love are the tailgate and CHMSL cameras.

Best of luck!

Old 07-13-2017, 02:42 PM
dksmith17
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flanneljunkie
I'm betting cost prohibitive to nearly impossible. The cameras that make up the 360 and CHMSL will likely require a lot of replacement parts, wiring, and removal of the headliner (maybe?). After all of that, Sync will likely need to be flashed/reprogrammed to enable all of the cameras and features. If I had a truck with just the backup camera, the only other one that I'd really like to have is the CHMSL.

I'd say test drive a truck with all of them, use them several times, and determine if it is really that important. The only two that I really love are the tailgate and CHMSL cameras.

Best of luck!
Yep, too bad they don't allow a build with just tailgate and CHMSL.

I don't want a touchscreen

Old 07-13-2017, 02:49 PM
flanneljunkie
Tuned
Received 75 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by dksmith17

You can option a truck with just the tailgate and CHMSL camera. When you build online, selecting the CHMSL camera says that the tailgate camera is removed. However, selecting the CHMSL actually nets you both cameras. Whether or not you can get those two cameras without sync 3 is unknown to me. For what it's worth, I found Sync 3 to be a pleasure to use and the new capacitive touch screen is far superior to prior Sync systems and MyFord Touch.

Old 07-13-2017, 03:01 PM
dksmith17
Senior User
Originally Posted by flanneljunkie
You can option a truck with just the tailgate and CHMSL camera. When you build online, selecting the CHMSL camera says that the tailgate camera is removed. However, selecting the CHMSL actually nets you both cameras. Whether or not you can get those two cameras without sync 3 is unknown to me. For what it's worth, I found Sync 3 to be a pleasure to use and the new capacitive touch screen is far superior to prior Sync systems and MyFord Touch.
Ah nice, I did not know that.

I even asked a ford customer service rep yesterday and she said the only way to have both was to go with the ultimate package.

Another question that you might know, if you don't mind...
XL includes the small dash screen. STX doesn't say anything about adding a screen. Let's say I go STX without sync but with tailgate and rear camera... I get a 4.2 in screen?
It's not clear.

Old 07-13-2017, 03:15 PM
duckduke
More Turbo

flanneljunkie is correct!! If you order CHSML you get both (Tailgate + CHSML) cameras. (like he said it is confusing as heck because you receive the delete pop-up about deleting the rear view or tailgate camera.... and nothing ever indicates that you are getting both...... some that have had it happen were totally surprised).

Anyway...... I would think the 360 would definitely increase the degree of difficulty. I'm not even sure where all the cameras are located.

But..... I would think if had the tailgate camera that just adding the CHSML would not be to difficult and would be as useful as the tailgate camera.

I am still planning to order which would make this discussion a non-issue. But, I continue to shop dealer inventory and that's why I'm asking. If I found one with just the tailgate camera........... I didn't know what the degree of difficulty was in adding other cameras (CHSML and/or 360).

Old 07-13-2017, 03:30 PM
Dronepilot
New User
I have the 360 camera system. Besides the CHSML and tailgate, there are 3 other cameras. One each is mounted in the mirror attachment on the door and the third is under the FORD emblem on the grill. My best guess, at a minimum, you would have to replace the mirror bases and the grill as they are all integrated into the plastic.
Having said all that, I love the 360 system when it comes to parking. Takes all the guess work out of how close you are, anywhere around the truck.

Eric

Old 07-13-2017, 03:35 PM
17CCLB250
Junior User
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Ah nice, I did not know that.

I even asked a ford customer service rep yesterday and she said the only way to have both was to go with the ultimate package.

XL includes the small dash screen. STX doesn't say anything about adding a screen. Let's say I go STX without sync but with tailgate and rear camera... I get a 4.2 in screen?
It's not clear.
Interesting question, and one I think I have the answer for. I have an XL, with which I wanted Sync3 but only the rear camera. To get Sync3 in an XL (and thusly, STX) the "rules" are different. Here's what I found for XLs when placing my order:

- You can get reverse camera and small screen
- You can get CHMSL and reverse camera and small screen
- You CANNOT get Sync3 and only CHMSL+reverse
- You CANNOT get Sync3 and only reverse
- If you do not get Sync3 (note: different than regular Sync) you WILL get the small screen. The bigger screen is Sync3 ONLY.
- You can ONLY get Sync3 with Ultimate Trailer Camera package

The rules changes for higher trims; you can get Sync3 with/without CHMSL/reverse. So, needless to say, I ended up with the cameras I didn't want just to get Sync3 for AndroidAuto, but I found they are actually extremely useful. Especially off road and for parking small spaces. Very glad I ended up with them.

Let me know if you have more questions on the subject, I went through this a million times before ordering.

Back to original thread topic - adding cameras afterward will probably be very difficult. The CHMSL, tailgate, and side mirror cameras probably have the right wiring harness there already, so it's probably a matter of getting the new trim pieces with cameras in them. However, the front grill camera I would bet would also need wiring harness added. Also almost a guaranteed flash for the Sync3 dash unit. So - probably expensive, but maybe not impossible.

Old 07-13-2017, 03:46 PM
crewzer
Logistics Pro
Received 266 Likes on 206 Posts
Exclamation

It is indeed an option. That's how our truck is configured.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

Old 07-13-2017, 03:48 PM
crewzer
Logistics Pro
Received 266 Likes on 206 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Dronepilot
I have the 360 camera system. Besides the CHSML and tailgate, there are 3 other cameras. One each is mounted in the mirror attachment on the door and the third is under the FORD emblem on the grill. My best guess, at a minimum, you would have to replace the mirror bases and the grill as they are all integrated into the plastic.
Having said all that, I love the 360 system when it comes to parking. Takes all the guess work out of how close you are, anywhere around the truck.

Eric
In retrospect, I should have ordered this option.

Oh, well...
Jim / crewzer

Old 07-13-2017, 05:19 PM
harley1756
Freshman User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I've been in Savannah all this week with several trips downtown. I know most of you may not be familiar with the parking available on the river front, but there are places that I simply would not have been able to park without the 360 degree cameras. Two options that I will not do without in the future are 360 cameras and trailer camera and trailer tire pressure sensoers. Trust me, just get them.

Old 07-13-2017, 06:37 PM
duckduke
More Turbo
It's not clear.
ON STX:
From what I can tell if your order CHSML camera, you will have the tailgate camera + CHSML camera on the 4.2 screen.

To get the 8" touch screen you will have to have:
-- STX or XL Package
-- Power Equipment Group
-- Sync 3
-- Ultimate trailer towing camera
If you do NOT have these 4 items you will wind up with the 4.2 screen. You cannot add Sync 3 or Ultimate Camera without adding the other. Just go into build and price and before you add anything at all go and try to add Sync 3 or Ultimate Camera and you'll see. Pop-up will say that you have to add "XL Value Package"......... but that is not 100% correct. You have to have either "STX" or "XL Value Package" but you DO NOT have to have XL Value Package. You can do it with STX instead.