1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disable automatic locking on 04 Superduty - NOT the same thing as Autolock

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 02:50 PM
JMKforddriver
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Disable automatic locking on 04 Superduty - NOT the same thing as Autolock

Hi! This is my first post, but my husband lurks around here a lot to find answers for our Fords when they're acting up, so thanks for all the help you've already given me!

The issue I wanted to ask about today is regarding my 04 F-250 6.0L. I have already tried disabling the Autolock feature using the instructions in the manual (which didn't work, assuming by the lack of horn chirps I heard when I attempted it multiple times), and that's not the issue anyway. Autolock appears to be that thing it does when you start driving and it automatically locks at a certain speed or when you slow down a certain amount, etc.

The problem I need to solve is the automatic locking of the doors when the ignition is turned to ON. Literally every time I put the key in the lock and turn the key to ON (not START), the doors lock. When I turn the key to OFF, the doors unlock.

Today was basically my worst fear, because I got my son all strapped into his carseat, started the truck while I was in there, did not turn on the A/C (because hubby tells me to wait a second after starting it to turn it on), and then I closed the back door to go around and get in the front. The instant I did it, I realized I had not accounted for the automatic locking feature and I was locked out of my running vehicle while my 2-year-old was strapped in the backseat. Thankfully, I had left the windows cracked and was able to use a water hose to hit the down button and get the window open enough to get in, but if not, I would have had to break my window to save my kid.

So you can see why I hate that the doors automatically lock when the key is turned. It has nothing to do with the transmission or movement or braking or anything, it is literally connected to the ignition switch. Any ideas on how to bypass it? I don't care if the actual Autolock stays on, that's fine. The issue is the locking and unlocking based on the ignition switch.

(Also, sorry for the novel. I'm still a little shaky after locking my kid in a hot car in July in Texas, so I'm rambling a bit. It was a scary time.)

Old 07-12-2017, 04:50 PM
seville009
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
It sounds odd. I wonder if somehow the system is messed up. I'd suggest taking it to a dealer; sounds like it'd be worth whatever they charge.

Could also try what is shown below from the 2004 manualI

Attached Images  
Old 07-12-2017, 06:10 PM
JMKforddriver
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by JMKforddriver
I have already tried disabling the Autolock feature using the instructions in the manual (which didn't work, assuming by the lack of horn chirps I heard when I attempted it multiple times), and that's not the issue anyway. Autolock appears to be that thing it does when you start driving and it automatically locks at a certain speed or when you slow down a certain amount, etc.
Thanks for the idea, but I've already tried that. I always thought it was normal for it to do this, but now that I haven't been able to find anyone else with the same problem, I'm wondering if you're right and there is some sort of malfunction somewhere...

Old 07-12-2017, 06:21 PM
seville009
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by JMKforddriver
Thanks for the idea, but I've already tried that. I always thought it was normal for it to do this, but now that I haven't been able to find anyone else with the same problem, I'm wondering if you're right and there is some sort of malfunction somewhere...
it's almost like yours is working in reverse of what it's supposed to do. I know with the keys in the ignition, if you lock the drivers door with it open and then shut it, it should unlock automatically to prevent being locked out. Dealer should be able to replace the module or whatever it is easily

Old 07-12-2017, 08:42 PM
Mike189677
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Sounds like there is an aftermarket alarm or remote start on the truck my old auto page did the exact same thing. The stock vehicle security module doesn't give you the option to have the door locks do that. Look under the dash where the fuse panel is and see if there is an black box under there that is spliced into other factory wires that doesn't say ford on it.sounds like a good reason to add one of the stick on keypads to the driver door so you can get in with out the key would have been much easier than using the hose good thing you left the windows cracked today. https://www.ebay.com/itm/171401976103