2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Tailgate Theft

Old 06-24-2017, 10:11 PM
PackerBacker_TX
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tailgate Theft

I doubt this is a new topic by any means but figured I'd do a quick post on it anyhow. We just purchased a new 2017 F250. Part of the appeal for us is the new aluminum body, which includes the tailgate. As I understand it, the tailgate is easy to remove and expensive to replace. Quick research on the topic reinforced that notion, so I added an aftermarket part to help deter Mr. StickyFingers.

Digging through my tools, I found an inexpensive steel hose clamp like you would use on a radiator hose. Crank it down with a screwdriver and you're done. I figured that'd possibly add a few minutes delay, so it's worth the .50 investment. If you're not already familiar with why this helps, lower your tailgate and look on the right hand side of where it attaches to the bed of the truck. Once the tailgate is down, you can simply pull it out at an angle after detaching the cables and off it goes. The hose clamp is meant to temporarily delay or possibly deter the thief by basically "clamping" where it attaches.

Today I did one better. Knowing all it would take is a few minutes and a screwdriver, I ordered a McGard tailgate lock off Amazon. It's under $20 and uses a KEYED tool, not unlike a wheel lock. So it's one step harder to take than it was before. Will it stop a determined thief, no. Will it give me time to intervene - maybe. Let's hope that doesn't happen.

Old 06-24-2017, 10:44 PM
Famousamos
Junior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
May I also suggest engraving your tailgate in a inconspicuous place with your DL#. The majority of these stolen plates are sold to low level salvage yards/junk yards. The. They find their way back to the auto repair shops. I've seen it happen first hand.
Guy gets tailgate stolen; takes to Ford house. Shop calls around looking for a tailgate. They find one. And get it delivered. Come to find out it's the customers stolen tailgate (it has a distinguishing mark). Anyways we went to seller to get paperwork on the tailgate origination. They bought it off a "gentleman". The businesss did get and make a copy of his DL, it was as a fake however.
Anyways lockem up and markem up. I have

Old 06-24-2017, 11:03 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
So did the customer get his tailgate back without having to pay the ransom?

Old 06-24-2017, 11:47 PM
P.Bronner
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The hose clamp is a good deterrent that I've been using for years, with one small twist. I orient the clamp so it has to be accessed from below, between the body and bumper, with the tailgate lifted at a 45 deg. angle. Between that and keeping the handle locked when not in active use, I figure I'm pretty safe.

Old 06-25-2017, 12:13 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by PackerBacker_TX
I doubt this is a new topic by any means but figured I'd do a quick post on it anyhow. We just purchased a new 2017 F250. Part of the appeal for us is the new aluminum body, which includes the tailgate. As I understand it, the tailgate is easy to remove and expensive to replace. Quick research on the topic reinforced that notion, so I added an aftermarket part to help deter Mr. StickyFingers.

Digging through my tools, I found an inexpensive steel hose clamp like you would use on a radiator hose. Crank it down with a screwdriver and you're done. I figured that'd possibly add a few minutes delay, so it's worth the .50 investment. If you're not already familiar with why this helps, lower your tailgate and look on the right hand side of where it attaches to the bed of the truck. Once the tailgate is down, you can simply pull it out at an angle after detaching the cables and off it goes. The hose clamp is meant to temporarily delay or possibly deter the thief by basically "clamping" where it attaches.

Today I did one better. Knowing all it would take is a few minutes and a screwdriver, I ordered a McGard tailgate lock off Amazon. It's under $20 and uses a KEYED tool, not unlike a wheel lock. So it's one step harder to take than it was before. Will it stop a determined thief, no. Will it give me time to intervene - maybe. Let's hope that doesn't happen.
A lot of complaints about the McGard and how easy it is to remove. Stick with the hose clamp. Read the reviews on the McGard. I did and decided it wasn't worth the money.

Old 06-25-2017, 07:16 PM
gobig
Junior User
can they steal the tailgate if it's locked?

Old 06-25-2017, 07:31 PM
Chris Karsseboom
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gobig
can they steal the tailgate if it's locked?
That's what I was thinking? You can't open Mine unless with keyfob.

Old 06-25-2017, 07:36 PM
Kenv
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Come on guys....they can steal your wife's bra while your standing next to her if they want....but seriously.....what they do is take the panel off right behind the fake handle/button. It's 8 hex screws to remove the "half" panel on the tailgate. With a small drill....45 seconds or less and it's off. Once that's off....it's gone.

Old 06-29-2017, 05:38 PM
PackerBacker_TX
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kenv
Come on guys....they can steal your wife's bra while your standing next to her if they want....but seriously.....what they do is take the panel off right behind the fake handle/button. It's 8 hex screws to remove the "half" panel on the tailgate. With a small drill....45 seconds or less and it's off. Once that's off....it's gone.
Kenv's got a point - with enough time and resources, anything's possible. Now I'm visualizing... it's 2am and I'm asleep in the camper.. not a creature is stirring.. except Mr. Sticky-fingers outside.. "thump, clunk.. rattle rattle".. then the distinct racking of the 12GA. Deadpool quote: "This guy's got the right idea. He wore the brown pants."

Old 06-29-2017, 08:14 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Kenv
With a tonneau cover they can't even get to the torx screws. Ultimately anything can be stolen. But if a thief is cruising the parking lot looking for tailgates and sees a truck with a tonneau cover, I'm pretty certain he's going to just keep cruising by looking for the easy truck. If they are taking the time to unbolt 8 torx screws, they're gonna take the extra 2 minutes to unscrew, or worse rip off, the hose clamp.

Old 06-29-2017, 09:03 PM
Bansai
Senior User
I'm forced to park outside 24/7 so I worry about this a bit, but I'm also about 1.5 inches from hitting a brick wall when I back into my spot. That's gotta have to slow em down a bit.

Old 06-30-2017, 07:08 AM
WorkFE
Junior User
Keepem honest.
1. A dog that does not sleep when I sleep. Good boy!
2. When I'm not in it the truck is always locked, alarm on.
3. When all else fails, 45 ACP.

Old 06-30-2017, 09:09 AM
glrret
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
As long as my truck is in my yard I'm not worried, its when I'm out and about that has me concerned.
3 years ago some clown actually tried to rip-off my truck at a little after mid-night. All I can say is that he now knows what a 3 round burst of a 45 ACP sounds like and he is still in prison.

Old 06-30-2017, 09:10 AM
lotsofords
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WorkFE
Keepem honest.
1. A dog that does not sleep when I sleep. Good boy!
2. When I'm not in it the truck is always locked, alarm on.
3. When all else fails, 45 ACP.
One of my favorite shirts says. Yes I have a gun, but I will only shoot you if you make it past my German Shepherd.

Back to tailgate: I did the mcgard thing, I have the bed cover, I lock it and it gets backed in a lot thus restricted opening. But, hey last time they took the whole dang truck.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:42 AM
Capttimb
New User
Originally Posted by P.Bronner
The hose clamp is a good deterrent that I've been using for years, with one small twist. I orient the clamp so it has to be accessed from below, between the body and bumper, with the tailgate lifted at a 45 deg. angle. Between that and keeping the handle locked when not in active use, I figure I'm pretty safe.
Been using 2 hose clamps since 1997....no issues yet!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tailgate Theft