E4OD Stuck In 4th Gear? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E4OD Stuck In 4th Gear?

Old 06-04-2017, 03:24 AM
Freshman User

Iron Port is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question E4OD Stuck In 4th Gear?

My 1993 Ford Bronco XLT with the 5.8 351w, E4OD, has been running fine just a little high and wonky idle, but it came back!. I can put my transmission in park fine, reverse fine, neutral fine, and low 2 and 1 fine, but overdrive seems really f**ked up!!! It will idle and coast fine in overdrive, but when applying gas it feels like its slipping bad, it takes around 20 seconds to get to 30mph, It's not actually slipping because of 1st and 2nd work fine, in fact, they engage a little hard! I'm getting a memory code: 654- Transmission lever not in park. Mabey MLPS THIS HAS BEEN DRIVING ME CRAZY FOR 2 YEARS!!!!!! Please help me figure this problem out I don't have money to bring it to a professional.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:55 AM
Post Fiend

Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
The E4OD will stay in fourth gear when the shift lever is in OD if there is no power to the solenoids. The MLPS cannot cause this. Find out why the two red wires to the trans connector don't have power.
Old 06-04-2017, 01:42 PM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
The E4OD will stay in fourth gear when the shift lever is in OD if there is no power to the solenoids. The MLPS cannot cause this. Find out why the two red wires to the trans connector don't have power.
Can i use a test light, and also should i be doing this while the trucks running?
Old 06-04-2017, 02:52 PM
Post Fiend

Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
A test light will work. The key has to be on, but the engine doesn't need to be running.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:03 PM
Freshman User

Quote:
A test light will work. The key has to be on, but the engine doesn't need to be running.
hey sorry i havent been on in a bit, the truck drove fine for a bit and then the problem came back
Old 06-15-2017, 03:38 AM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Port View Post
hey sorry i havent been on in a bit, the truck drove fine for a bit and then the problem came back
Ok so checked the 2 pins they have power, the problem is random. It wont go in drive and shifting to reverse make the truck jerk really bad. And then some times it shifts smoothly and has power in drive, can it be tps?
Old 06-15-2017, 09:25 AM
Post Fiend

No, the TPS can't cause that. When it has the problem check those two pins for power. If they don't have power the trans will only have reverse and fourth, and will operate at max pressure all the time.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:30 PM
Freshman User

Quote:
No, the TPS can't cause that. When it has the problem check those two pins for power. If they don't have power the trans will only have reverse and fourth, and will operate at max pressure all the time.
ok, well don't know witch pins to check. Problem stopped. Came back. I found many codes

654 334 452 542 543 634
Old 06-20-2017, 12:44 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Ok so checked the 2 pins they have power,
Did you forget from that post to this post?
Quote:
ok, well don't know witch pins to check. Problem stopped. Came back. I found many codes

654 334 452 542 543 634
Did you have it in park when you ran the test? If so, the MLPS is bad. If you didn't, that set the 654 and possibly the 634 code.

452 is vehicle speed. That may have some bearing on this problem. The other codes do not.

I still think your best bet is to check the two power feeds on the transmission harness when the problem is occurring.