1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Fixing problems that I created....

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 05:30 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
Originally Posted by BTclassics
It appears my primer stuck to the paint just fine. But it waited until the final coat of primer to interact with whatever red primer he used. I'm not sure why this happened but it has ruined the weekend. 3 days of work and hundreds of dollars wasted.
I get real leery around red oxide primer, there are some good primers out there in that color but it has been my experience that anytime I see it it turns out to be Rustoleum. I am not sure about today but in the early days Rustoleum had fish oil in it...great for rust prevention, terrible for over coating with petroleum based paint/primer. Good thing you found it now. Things like this are why body and paint guys don't like to stray from the products they know and trust.

Old 05-21-2017, 07:01 PM
BTclassics
Senior User
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by CharlieLed
I get real leery around red oxide primer, there are some good primers out there in that color but it has been my experience that anytime I see it it turns out to be Rustoleum. I am not sure about today but in the early days Rustoleum had fish oil in it...great for rust prevention, terrible for over coating with petroleum based paint/primer. Good thing you found it now. Things like this are why body and paint guys don't like to stray from the products they know and trust.
The truck was painted 3 or 4 years ago. If it was Rustoleum, I think it was sprayed with a paint gun (not rattle can). It's just odd that it decided on the last coat, 3 days later, to let loose. If it happened on the first coat, it would have been easier than after all the body work, primering and blocking had been done. I did find a picture of the truck being built. I'll put it in my thread over in the body/paint section.

Old 05-21-2017, 07:13 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,838 Likes on 1,837 Posts
BTclassics,
Wow, that's a major bummer. I'm not sure I'd have been able to step back and laugh at that one. I'm glad you found it before shooting color.

So the new fuel pump is in place and working great. Then, this afternoon. I went to open the drivers door and the handle felt wonky. I grabbed a screwdriver and pulled the screw to remove the handle and heard parts falling down inside the door. Yes, you guessed it, last summer I had tore the latch apart and fixed it....LOL

So, once more, I pulled the door latch assy out and fished the dropped parts out of the bottom of the door. It was an easy fix, the strap that goes across the back of the latch and holds the parts in place came loose from the main assy. No biggie, I fitted the pieces back in place, fit the tab of the strap back into its slot, and gave it a quick spot weld to insure it wouldn't come loose again. Had it back in the door and working within 30 minutes. While I had the door open I did some fixing on the little strap doo-dad that keeps the door from opening too far. The spring on mine is very week. I pulled it loose and used an old valve spring from my Massey Ferguson tractor. Put it all back together and every thing works great!

Woohoo. I might have recovered from everything and just might be back to square one.

Bobby

Old 05-21-2017, 07:45 PM
BTclassics
Senior User
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Yeah, still not laughing!
Glad to hear that you ended up with a productive weekend though. Still having an operable vehicle at the end of the day is sometimes a victory!

Old 05-22-2017, 07:45 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Things done 1-2 years ago that bit back now? How about 25-30 years ago? I started working on my truck 30 years ago. I did two off frame restorations, one high school kid grade, just out of high school, second more elaborate after being in the auto body business a few years. Fast forward to the last few years and the time has come when some of the parts I installed new way back then need replacing now, just normal parts wear. I found a few misguided installations I did way back. My favorites are the ones I did while the sheet metal wasn't on the truck. Some parts are a challenge to get off because things are in the way of me getting a wrench or screwdriver on them, a lot easier when there wasn't any sheet metal in the way.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:59 AM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bob not only that but it was a lot easier when we were young, had the strength and flexibility! I've got a few extra bucks compared to then. Now if we could just find away to have all of that at the same time life would be easier. LOL

Old 05-22-2017, 09:02 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
These old trucks can be a time capsule. When I'm working on the truck and run into something I did 25-30 years ago I can remember doing it and who was there. Mainly I remember my dad standing around telling me how something had to be done because he grew up working on the era vehicle. He knew all the tricks and had the odd tool to get something working.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:26 AM
tip49
Cargo Master
Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts
Well almost

Originally Posted by ben73058
Hey Tom (Tip49),
I gave up on the dxxx horn button fitting on the steering wheel...
Just ran a wire to a button on the dash....Now you fixed it in an afternoon....Grrr...
Ok... I'll go back & do it right! You are killing me over there...
Ben: I did get the horn button to fit and work, but still haven't got it attached to the relay yet; so technically .........

Bobby : I still have a quirk in my driver door window crank (it is very noisy rolling up/down.) I am working on getting my door inspection panels in place so I am going to have to take time to do the window crank right this time

Old 10-07-2023, 12:16 PM
ajsunnyB
Tuned
Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Hey guys good reading I am just as bad about doing dumb things, after three F-100s you would think I learned something. No not me. I bought my latest with a fresh paint job, yep they lied. Told me they stripped the truck epoxy primer hours of block sanding and very little bondo. It looked nice, shined, beautiful blue with a little metal flake. Right on top of maybe three coats of paint! Ugg. In time it will all pop off this bondo bucket. But have no fear! As long as I can get her running and just a little reliable, how could I go wrong!AJ