Exhaust Brake

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 09:06 AM
ATSWFX4
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust Brake

Hey Guys,

So I'm new to the Diesel Community. I just bought a 2015 F350 CrewCab and I'm in love with it. Talking with some aquantances (They drive a Chevy), they mentioned the exhaust brake and that they use it all the time. It helps with brake wear. I looked in the owner's manual and it doesn't say anything. The Diesel Supplement has a small statement that it can help with towing.

My question is, should I be using the exhaust brake all the time? Only when towing? My understanding is that it doesn't put any more strain or work on the engine because it uses compression from the exhaust, but will prolonged use add additional wear on the motor?

Any help or understanding for the use of the exhaust brake would help. I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find a thread addressing this.

Thanks,
ATSW FX4
2015 F350 CC Lariat FX4

Old 05-16-2017, 01:16 PM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You can use it anytime you like. Just not during wet/snowy conditions as it could possibly lock up the rear tires and cause a slide.

I don't know how the newer trucks react, but my 2000 PSD would near stop using an aftermarket exhaust brake controller on it. It was a 6spd manual though and I would downshift it.

Try it once with no trailer, get the feel for it and you may find it quite handy during daily driving.

It puts no real strain on the engine, just using compression against the motor rotation to help slow you down. It basically gives you "gas engine" control over your speed. Diesels only coast when you quit giving it fuel, unlike a gas engine which once you close the throttle blades gives you "compression braking". Diesel has no throttle blades.

Old 05-16-2017, 03:30 PM
ATSWFX4
New User
THANKS Freightrain!!!

So now I'm curious why to "activate" the exhaust brake, they force you to push a button rather than have it automatic. Like the anti-skid control. It defaults to being active and you have to disengage it if you want it turned off.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:18 PM
Moogal78
Senior User
Sometimes it's hard to know why an engineer or some other element within the company decided to make some aspect of the vehicle a certain way. On the 2011-2014 trucks the exhaust brake was integrated with the tow/haul mode, no separate button. Everyone else (Chevy/Ram) had a button, so it wasn't unexpected that in 2015 the new truck with it's new turbo had a button to activate the exhaust brake function, separate from any other drive mode the vehicle also might have. Personally I like the button, as I can now use the exhaust brake feature when driving in M mode, independent of tow/haul which is only available in D mode. I can choose my shift point, and how much exhaust braking I get. If I'm cruising with the camper on the interstate I throw it in D with tow/haul, cruise control, and the exhaust brake and let the truck make the decisions. It's nice to have options.

Another one you hear about is tow/haul being a selectable option instead of the start up default for a truck that's obviously built and designed for towing and hauling. Some of it might be down to the manufacturer wanting the customer to have control. However, I do know that when the EPA tests for fuel economy, it must be with the vehicle in the configuration as it starts up, no special buttons needed. Thus tow/haul, with it's higher RPM shift points, would be detrimental when testing fuel economy if it were the default mode on start up. Of course, trucks over 10,000lbs are exempt from fuel economy ratings (but doubtless that won't be for much longer).

Old 05-16-2017, 10:37 PM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Traction control they assume you need it at all times "to be safer". Ya, whatever. I would assume the exhaust brake would be something they wouldn't want on all the time for just like the comment I made "not safe during slippery roads". So they default it "off". Making you select it only when you want it to work.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:57 AM
Moogal78
Senior User
I could imagine sitting around the meeting table at an automaker, anything that enhances Government tested vehicle attributes like safety and fuel economy would be defaulted to active/on, while anything that detracted would be defaulted to off. Force the operator to decrease their own safety or economy.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:16 AM
ATSWFX4
New User
That explains SO much!!!! While trying to please the regulations for emissions, fuel economy, safety, etc... things that actually seem to make sense get put on a switch. I can only imagine what it would be like to be sitting at that table!

Old 05-17-2017, 12:07 PM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

The big deal with fuel mileage is getting the vehicle to COAST/freewheel. The exhaust brake will hold the vehicle back so they don't want that as the "norm". But available as "a safety issue" with controlling a trailer.

It's great that Ford is stepping up with these advancements, as it was all a big "no no" back in the earlier Powerstroke days. I remember in the early 2000's, guys were putting marker lights on their mirrors. Low and behold just about every car/truck made now has signals on the front of the mirror heads.

Old 05-25-2017, 10:34 AM
ATSWFX4
New User
Hey All,

I just wanted to give an update.... I've been turning the exhaust brake on everytime I start my truck now. In the last week and half or so, I've noticed that I'm not on the brakes nearly as much and it seems that my mileage per gallon has gone up. That could just be because I've put more highway miles on the last few tanks.

I'm now getting 13.0 MPG, up from 12.3 MPG.

Old 05-25-2017, 01:30 PM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

With a big, heavy truck, some easy going highway miles will always improve your MPG overall. As long as you don't run fast. My old 7.3 would drop MPG if you ran over 70 mph(with 4.10 gears), like from 17 to 14 mpg. Very noticeable.

Leave the brake off on the highway unless you need it in stop/go traffic. Coasting will always help with mileage.

Old 08-12-2017, 06:39 PM
Animalv
5th Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a space cap with tools on my 2015 the truck now weighs in at 13,500 and I put the exhaust brake on every time I drive even in snow and @ 89,000 km no issues yet but I wonder if I end up doing more burns because of it