Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Need an opinion

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 12:01 PM
The Big Tow
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GlueGuy
The main issue on the tires is the sidewalls. Both the 20' and the 18" (for example) are the same outside diameter. So the difference comes with the sidewalls. An 18" wheel, with the proper tires will have a better load range than the 20" wheel. The smaller wheel/taller sidewall will also ride better, and be better off road (if you want to do that).
The constant flexing of the sidewalls on most passenger tires creates heat when they're loaded down.

So E rated tires take a lot of air pressure to prevent this. Some more than a hundred pounds. Most around 60-65. And the sidewalls (the whole tire actually) is MUCH stronger built. I think E is 10 ply rated (??)

The sidewalls on some (not all) Low Profile tires flex less than regular tires, thereby generating less heat. Even with only 35lbs of air.

When tires get hot, they can get dangerous. And pumping in extra air on a passenger tire isn't a really good idea

Old 05-04-2017, 12:01 PM
ACADguy
Mountain Pass
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Frantz
My question would be why would you want to spend more for the customization if it's not what you would do anyway? You're gonna pay for it now matter how they make the deal look on paper.
A very good point and I agree. I have to admit, while I wouldn't do it myself, I do like the looks of it. This all comes from the fact that a regular cab, 8 foot bed that can do ANYTHING is a rarity. They are either 2wd or 6 1/2 foot bed or they have the NA V6. Someone on here was looking for a regular cab with a 6 1/2 foot bed. Come to western PA, there are dozens of them on the lots. It drives me nuts. The trucks that should be built to work are not. They are even harder to find used. It's all driven by what everyone wants which is a crew cab and a short bed. This isn't saying I couldn't get used to a 6 1/2 foot bed. Never had one so I don't know how hard it would be. I've often said that I'm going to tow more with my next truck and haul less. I think I'll leave this one be for now and go a different direction.

Old 05-04-2017, 12:08 PM
The Big Tow
Senior User
Originally Posted by ACADguy
A very good point and I agree. I have to admit, while I wouldn't do it myself, I do like the looks of it. This all comes from the fact that a regular cab, 8 foot bed that can do ANYTHING is a rarity. They are either 2wd or 6 1/2 foot bed or they have the NA V6. Someone on here was looking for a regular cab with a 6 1/2 foot bed. Come to western PA, there are dozens of them on the lots. It drives me nuts. The trucks that should be built to work are not. They are even harder to find used. It's all driven by what everyone wants which is a crew cab and a short bed. This isn't saying I couldn't get used to a 6 1/2 foot bed. Never had one so I don't know how hard it would be. I've often said that I'm going to tow more with my next truck and haul less. I think I'll leave this one be for now and go a different direction.
You might want to consider shopping around Tampa. Brandon Ford and/or Jarrett Ford kick some serious booty. Brandon is pretty big and Jarrett is usually willing to make a deal with the devil.

Buying out of State is no big deal. Give you an excuse to go on a road trip.

Unless you have a trade. That can complicate things

ETA: I hate giving 'opinions' because it can come back and bite me in the butt. As always, use your own judgement wisely

Old 05-04-2017, 12:16 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by GlueGuy
The main issue on the tires is the sidewalls. Both the 20' and the 18" (for example) are the same outside diameter. So the difference comes with the sidewalls. An 18" wheel, with the proper tires will have a better load range than the 20" wheel. The smaller wheel/taller sidewall will also ride better, and be better off road (if you want to do that).
Exactly. If you try to keep the over all dimension the same going from 17" wheels to 20" wheels will limit your options in tires. If you are willing to add 5 inches of tire diameter your selection is much better, but then your tow rating drops. Then you will be looking at swapping the 355s for something else.

I would check the tire sizes using one of the online tools. It's possible those tires are not much taller than stock. I would also make sure they re-calibrated to speedometer.

Old 05-04-2017, 12:18 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
If you decide to keep looking, I wouldn't just pass on the NA V6. That engine runs & drives better than the 4.6L V8 from previous generations.

Old 05-04-2017, 12:35 PM
ACADguy
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by xr7gt390
If you decide to keep looking, I wouldn't just pass on the NA V6. That engine runs & drives better than the 4.6L V8 from previous generations.
I understand what you are saying, however, every truck I've ever owned except for one has been very under powered. Didn't think they would be but when you can't tow on a test drive, you end up with what you got. I have a 4.6 now and it does ok until you hook the trailer to it. Then it's an absolute dog. This time around, I want more than I need because, as I say, it will be around for a long time. I want to be happy with it. As usual, I've learned much from this discussion and forum. I'll take everything into consideration as I look. No hurry so it's not like I have to have something NOW. I envy you guys who can order what you want. I'm just not in that position.

Old 05-04-2017, 12:53 PM
The Big Tow
Senior User
Originally Posted by ACADguy
I understand what you are saying, however, every truck I've ever owned except for one has been very under powered. Didn't think they would be but when you can't tow on a test drive, you end up with what you got. I have a 4.6 now and it does ok until you hook the trailer to it. Then it's an absolute dog. This time around, I want more than I need because, as I say, it will be around for a long time. I want to be happy with it. As usual, I've learned much from this discussion and forum. I'll take everything into consideration as I look. No hurry so it's not like I have to have something NOW. I envy you guys who can order what you want. I'm just not in that position.
I have the Coyote V8. It will outrun my Boy's EcoBeast empty but he can tow a small Battleship with his.

Plus -- Mine's better on fuel. Oh yes, it is. Don't know nothing about the 2.7L

Seems a bit lite in the trousers for my taste. 165 CID.....?? That thing be huffin' N puffin under a load. 7k your thinking about? That's nothing to sneeze at.

Also, the EcoBoosts had their problems. It's why they put Port Injection as well as the direct injection on the new ones. The intakes can get all gummed up and you lose a lot of power on the 16's and older. And we all know about the hydraulicing problems and the CAC.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a believer in the EcoBoost. Love to have a new one. I think they got it right this time.

Probably gonna have one in a year or so. Wife may need to get a 2nd job

Old 05-04-2017, 04:27 PM
JKBrad
Received 804 Likes on 589 Posts
I would still go look at it. You know that many aren't. That's why they dressed it up a little. Look at it, give them your name and number if the price isn't right, then walk away. They'll call in a day or a week, then you're in control because they want it gone.

That is a very mild leveling kit. It won't affect how the truck functions. The tires look like they may be stock Pirelli 20s. You will want those changed for working the truck. There are many load range E options out there for 20" wheels. I got the impression from your first post that you preferred the factory look.

Old 05-05-2017, 06:41 AM
ACADguy
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by JKBrad
I would still go look at it. You know that many aren't. That's why they dressed it up a little. Look at it, give them your name and number if the price isn't right, then walk away. They'll call in a day or a week, then you're in control because they want it gone.

That is a very mild leveling kit. It won't affect how the truck functions. The tires look like they may be stock Pirelli 20s. You will want those changed for working the truck. There are many load range E options out there for 20" wheels. I got the impression from your first post that you preferred the factory look.
You are correct, I do prefer more of a stock look. I always figured that if you're going to spend that much for a vehicle, I want it to look like it came from the factory as long as possible. I'm not against customizing, I'm just cheap. I stand in awe at some of the custom trucks on here.

Anyway, I took my first test drive last night. 2017 XLT with extended cab and 6 1/2 foot bed and 2.7 eco. WOW, everything I read on here was right. What a rush and I think it would blow the doors off our 2016 Escape with the 2.0 eco.

That brings me to the black regular cab. I think I will go look at it tonight if it ever stops raining. My thoughts are, they switched wheels once, they would probably do it again. Not going back to stock 17's but to stock 20's like what they put on the STX. I like those and that would, in effect, make this truck custom stock because you can't order a regular cab with those wheels (I was playing with the "build a truck" site the other night ) The wheels I am talking about are below. I've seen them on black trucks and I do like them. It might just push my into buying it.

Attached Images  
Old 05-05-2017, 10:59 AM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
I like those wheels.

Old 05-06-2017, 05:32 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

OP -- Really like the stance of the f150. Looks good!

I'm not a big fan of the wheels...for a truck that is going to work. I'd speak to the dealer...and make s switch to OEM...IMHO.

Again...IMHO...17" or 18" or 20" are irrelevant. Just make sure the tires are up to the job. Load Range D minimum.

biz

Old 05-08-2017, 06:22 AM
ACADguy
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by biz4two
OP -- Really like the stance of the f150. Looks good!

I'm not a big fan of the wheels...for a truck that is going to work. I'd speak to the dealer...and make s switch to OEM...IMHO.

Again...IMHO...17" or 18" or 20" are irrelevant. Just make sure the tires are up to the job. Load Range D minimum.

biz
I test drove this truck last Friday. I must say, I was impressed with it for an XL. More features than my 97 Lariet from days gone by. Anyway, yes, it did ride a bit firmer than the new XLT I drove the night before. I didn't want the stock wheels that came on it but they have a set of chrome XLT rims in the back that they would swap out AND knock a little off the truck. They are going to look at them and see if they are in nice enough shape or not. 18". I think they would go nicely with the chrome bumpers. I know chrome doesn't get a lot of love here but I like it.

On another note, We've known the family that owns this dealership for many years (not close but enough for some passing pleasantries). What I didn't know is that the son who just gave up running the place and turned it over to his son has a Mustang collection. We had to go through the Mustang room to get to the wheel room. Most all of these cars have less than 4000 original miles. One of them is a movie set car, one of them is number 3 of 3 ever produced. The sales guy opened it up and told me to feel the seats. They were satin with leather trim . I noticed something covered with a tarp. Its an AC Cobra. I asked if it was real or a kit, He said it was a kit but a certain kind of kit that is worth more (like &160,000). The sales guy said that he also has a real Cobra. I don't know where the real one is kept. All in all there is an estimated $2 million worth of cars that I was climbing around. I took pics but the light was terrible and they didn't turn out too good. What a great surprise on a truck hunting mission!