1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

What do I need to view my engine gauges on my iPad...

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 05:45 AM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
As far as dedicated Android tablets go, awhile back the Android tablet version was KitKat, and this version had limitations as to what apps could be run from the SD memory card. This was the version on my table, and I had problems running out of system memory when data logging with Torque. This happened when I was waiting for intermittent problems and just have Torque constantly data log for long trips. Most tablets would probably have been auto updated past this version, but mine (on Verizon) was parked here. I'd avoid Android version 4.4.2 if you could, again this shouldn't be a problem at this time unless you find an old tablet.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:46 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
OK...

Simple Android unit.
Software version newer than 4.4.2 (i.e. Lollipop would be fine)
Bluetooth capability is "ideal", but Wifi only will work.

A few more questions...
1) Anyone running the larger 9+ inch displays, or are they just too large from a practical perspective?

2) I suspect that 16GB is more than adequate?

3) RAM... 1GB? 2GB? >2GB?

Old 04-26-2017, 07:49 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaime74656
Any droid tablet honestly will work, even a wifi only one will work as intended, it just won't have mobile data or gps abilities
Not so much, as was recently learned by a fellow member. He is now a proud owner of several iterations of Android tablets before he found a reasonably-priced one that works. Sometimes you're just better off upping the bet to get the big win. How many here have tried aftermarket parts, only to end up paying for OEM anyway? How much money do you figure you saved?

I'm not saying get a $200 tablet like I did (my tablet gets a lot of use for other things when on the road), but you can't always get reliable and smooth performance out of a $30 tablet. The used market is fair game, though - many people upgrade to better stuff and the tablet they outgrow may very well be perfect for a Torque Pro-only role.

Watch out for the cheap stuff when new - many don't have Google play (as mentioned by andym), or they don't have Bluetooth. Saving money on the tablet only to be forced into buying the more expensive (and laggy) WiFi OBDII adapter doesn't quite work out in your favor.

Originally Posted by Redneckmorton
So what's better. Torque pro or forscan? I've already downloaded forscan but I guess for $5 I could do torque pro as well.
For daily driving/monitoring/logging, I use Torque Pro. For popping the hood and doing real troubleshooting, I use FORScan.

Originally Posted by F250_
So... if I launch into this arena today, what seems to be the best (most reliable) and reasonably priced (cheap) option for the Android Tablet?....
This changes so fast that one can't keep up until it's time to break out the "buy" button. I can offer a list of things to look for if just doing TP, but if you want it to do double-duty as a backup camera screen or GPS mapping, then the checklist explodes.

Just for TP - you want good resolution on the screen or the gauges will look fuzzy. You really really want a good contrast ratio - because sunlight and night driving present visibility challenge. You want Google Play and Bluetooth capability, as already covered. You want something that fits well in your cab, yet big enough for your eyes to read whatever number of gauges you have up at a time.

Referring back to my picture yet again, note how the TP gauges look identical in size as the analogue gauges in reference to the driver's point of view. That is no accident - I planned it that way (my OCD knows no bounds). Wanna know how I worked this out? A piece of cardboard for rehearsal. I also placed my touch screen in super-easy reach, where I can stabilize my arm by resting it on the aptly-named armrest. Imagine trying to finger your signature on a touchscreen with your arm outstretched - that's how much control you'll have if you place it too far away. Using the touch screen on the head unit in a Superduty is akin to threading a needle while jumping on a trampoline, unless I place my thumb on the dash beside the head unit while changing channels. Actually... I use the remote because it's accurate and I can keep my eye on the road.

Pete... I suggest a fresh thread on that topic, so everybody can share the latest on tablets.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:57 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
...The touch screen on the head unit is akin to threading a needle, unless I place my thumb on the dash beside the head unit while changing channels.....

I know what you mean about hand steadiness during reach mode. When I got my truck with 114k on th3 clock (it was only 4 years old), there was already a polished spot o the dash above the radio where the PO's thumb landed while adjusting the ***** on the OEM unit! I KNOW that's what ti was from because when I reach up to adjust the volume ****, MY thumb lands exactly on that polished spot.

Another thread dedicated to current tablet experiences is a great idea.

Old 04-29-2017, 01:16 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
Not so much, as was recently learned by a fellow member. He is now a proud owner of several iterations of Android tablets before he found a reasonably-priced one that works. Sometimes you're just better off upping the bet to get the big win. How many here have tried aftermarket parts, only to end up paying for OEM anyway? How much money do you figure you saved?

I'm not saying get a $200 tablet like I did (my tablet gets a lot of use for other things when on the road), but you can't always get reliable and smooth performance out of a $30 tablet. The used market is fair game, though - many people upgrade to better stuff and the tablet they outgrow may very well be perfect for a Torque Pro-only role.

Watch out for the cheap stuff when new - many don't have Google play (as mentioned by andym), or they don't have Bluetooth. Saving money on the tablet only to be forced into buying the more expensive (and laggy) WiFi OBDII adapter doesn't quite work out in your favor.

For daily driving/monitoring/logging, I use Torque Pro. For popping the hood and doing real troubleshooting, I use FORScan.

This changes so fast that one can't keep up until it's time to break out the "buy" button. I can offer a list of things to look for if just doing TP, but if you want it to do double-duty as a backup camera screen or GPS mapping, then the checklist explodes.

Just for TP - you want good resolution on the screen or the gauges will look fuzzy. You really really want a good contrast ratio - because sunlight and night driving present visibility challenge. You want Google Play and Bluetooth capability, as already covered. You want something that fits well in your cab, yet big enough for your eyes to read whatever number of gauges you have up at a time.

Referring back to my picture yet again, note how the TP gauges look identical in size as the analogue gauges in reference to the driver's point of view. That is no accident - I planned it that way (my OCD knows no bounds). Wanna know how I worked this out? A piece of cardboard for rehearsal. I also placed my touch screen in super-easy reach, where I can stabilize my arm by resting it on the aptly-named armrest. Imagine trying to finger your signature on a touchscreen with your arm outstretched - that's how much control you'll have if you place it too far away. Using the touch screen on the head unit in a Superduty is akin to threading a needle while jumping on a trampoline, unless I place my thumb on the dash beside the head unit while changing channels. Actually... I use the remote because it's accurate and I can keep my eye on the road.

Pete... I suggest a fresh thread on that topic, so everybody can share the latest on tablets.
please note I was referring to the non phone network (SIM card) units, and there use as a unit that is only connecting to wifi or wifi hot spots