1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Is the 7.3L all mechanically controlled?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 11:02 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 535 Likes on 259 Posts
Is the 7.3L all mechanically controlled?

Watching the news lately, no matter how unlikely, makes me think about a nuclear scenario in America. My understanding is that if a nuclear bomb was detonated, it would generate an EMP that would destroy the engine ECMs of all vehicles within a certain radius of the blast.

SO...thinking in terms of a bug-out vehicle, do the 7.3L trucks (thinking an Excursion, actually) require an ECM to run? Or assuming you could supply power to a lift pump and the starter manually, would the engine fire up and run? Is the throttle a mechanical connection?

I know I'm going a little crazy here, but I'm also curious. My current 2017 Super Duty is controlled by many computers. I know the 7.3L uses oil-operated mechanical fuel injectors, so I'm thinking it might work?

Thoughts?

Old 04-20-2017, 11:07 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,853 Posts
Yes, they require the PCM to run.

Just stock up on weapons, ammo, food and water and create a plan for you and your loved ones.

We are not doomsday preppers by any stretch of the imagination. But, I have several weapons, several thousand rounds, food and water rations for months on hand. We live in the country though, and if there is a bad storm we may be without power for a while, so this is our main reason for stocking up on rations. The guns and ammo, well they are just fun and I have a range in my backyard.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:12 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Thanks for the reply. What does the PCM do on the 7.3L?

Old 04-20-2017, 11:55 AM
Karlow
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You need to think in terms of a 1975 truck.
Anything newer will have at lest an electronic ignition.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:03 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Diesels don't have an ignition system...

Old 04-20-2017, 12:12 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman
Thanks for the reply. What does the PCM do on the 7.3L?
Everything. You can't run a 7.3L powerstroke without one.

The 7.3L IDI (pre-94) was a mechanical diesel but I don't know if it would EMP-tolerant or not.

Any *gas* powered truck since the 70's will have an electronic ignition system.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:12 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
Yes, they require the PCM to run.

Just stock up on weapons, ammo, food and water and create a plan for you and your loved ones.

We are not doomsday preppers by any stretch of the imagination. But, I have several weapons, several thousand rounds, food and water rations for months on hand. We live in the country though, and if there is a bad storm we may be without power for a while, so this is our main reason for stocking up on rations. The guns and ammo, well they are just fun and I have a range in my backyard.
That stuff's not all leftover from the Y2K thing is it? You should have seen all the freeze dried food and generators I delivered back then.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:14 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,853 Posts
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
That stuff's not all leftover from the Y2K thing is it? You should have seen all the freeze dried food and generators I delivered back then.
Not even close. We replenish our stock every few years even though it can keep for much longer. Generator gets run up about once a quarter.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:37 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
The nuclear fallout will kill you long before your supplies run out. Even if you survive the nuke portion of the end of the world, not much will be left after your supplies run out. City folk will scamper for the country, devouring everything in sight like a swarm of locusts.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:52 PM
troverman
Hotshot
I'm not trying to turn this into a thread of about doomsday. Several folks are telling me a 7.3L will not run without a PCM, but I haven't gotten a straight answer as to why not.

For example, my 2013 Kubota tractor has no computers. Just a battery, an alternator, a starter, instrument panel, and lights. When it cranks over, the high pressure engine-driven fuel pump supplies fuel pressure to the injectors. When pressure hits a certain point, they pop open, fuel is sprayed, then the injectors close and pressure is relieved. The compression heat ignites the fuel after air is drawn in. Diesel 101.

So thinking further, I realize any common rail diesel is not going to work because the injectors are electronically fired.

But the 7.3 (and even the 6.0L and maybe the 6.4L) use oil pressure, and a separate high pressure oil pump, to pop the injectors open and closed based upon timing of the pump, which is also engine driven.

So I know the 6.0L uses HEUI (hydraulic electronic unit injectors) and since the word electronic is there, the 6.0L and newer is out. But is the 7.3L also operated by HEUI or simply HUI?

I realize a modern vehicle like a 7.3L Excursion has many other computers and ECU's to run windows, seats, climate controls, audio, headlights, you name it. I was just wondering *at its core* if the engine could be run strictly by getting it started.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:59 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Thoughts?
The quote below is from the Excursion Bug Out Vehicle thread from a few years ago. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post14120818

Originally Posted by archtaan
EMP is not an issue on modern vehicles. Nothing short of 50kv/m will affect a vehicle that is not running and it would take a 20-30 megaton high altitude detonation to create that kind of power (there isn't anything that large in any countries nuclear arsenal).

If it is running, 9-10 of them will restart with no problems other than annoyances like blinking dash lights. The vehicles body itself acts as a large Farday cage.

Its been extensively tested and even discovery channel did a test on future weapons.

EMP requires long/ungrounded cabling to be effective. Things like power lines.
Stewart

Old 04-20-2017, 01:25 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Stewart...very helpful. Thanks. I've done a little bit more reading and I've been putting the cart before the horse it seems. From what I've read, *some* vehicles will likely be affected, but most won't. I can also corroborate what you say about the "antenna effect" which vehicles don't really have.

That leads to a second question...will the aluminum body of my current Ford protect as well, better, or worse than a steel-bodied vehicle?

Old 04-20-2017, 02:52 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Several folks are telling me a 7.3L will not run without a PCM, but I haven't gotten a straight answer as to why not.
Because the injectors are not fired by the high pressure pump. They are electronically controlled by the computer. If the computer doesn't tell the injectors to operate, they will just sit there and no fuel will go into the cylinders.

For example, my 2013 Kubota tractor has no computers. Just a battery, an alternator, a starter, instrument panel, and lights. When it cranks over, the high pressure engine-driven fuel pump supplies fuel pressure to the injectors. When pressure hits a certain point, they pop open, fuel is sprayed, then the injectors close and pressure is relieved. The compression heat ignites the fuel after air is drawn in. Diesel 101.
That's the way the pre-Powerstroke 7.3L IDI engine worked. The last of those in a Ford truck was 1994.

So I know the 6.0L uses HEUI (hydraulic electronic unit injectors) and since the word electronic is there, the 6.0L and newer is out. But is the 7.3L also operated by HEUI or simply HUI?
The 7.3L Powerstroke, introduced in mid-1994, is HEUI. Without a computer to tell the injectors when to open there is no fuel injected.
I realize a modern vehicle like a 7.3L Excursion has many other computers and ECU's to run windows, seats, climate controls, audio, headlights, you name it. I was just wondering *at its core* if the engine could be run strictly by getting it started.
No, that capability went away at the end of the 1994 model year in a Ford diesel.

Old 04-20-2017, 02:56 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Thanks Mark. Makes sense now.

Old 04-20-2017, 04:45 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Taking the EMP thing to where it's more likely - it won't be a nuke... it will be the mother of all solar flares. It will happen for sure, but like the Cascadian fault giving way to make a 9.0 earthquake in the PNW, we don't know when it will happen.

Quick Reply: Is the 7.3L all mechanically controlled?