Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

7.3 quits running while driving

Old 04-10-2017, 03:23 PM
offthefront
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7.3 quits running while driving

Greetings ..... First a some History .... 2000 F250 with 82K miles .... I bought the truck from Original Owner ...I think it was 2011 with 65K .... I only use it to tow my boat from time to time but I do try to run it at least once a month ..Most of the time it stays in the garage .... It has done the Romp_Romp for a cpl of years but seemed only when it had set for a long time .... Then cpl of months ago it started the shutdown of what seemed to be one bank or the other of the motor ...usually when first starting then after that would be fine .... then it got worse ... would do it alot more often when starting and then finally even when stopped at a red light ect .....So research here tells me it could be the UVCH ....So pulled both covers...everything ohmed out within spec ...connections and pins looked great ....... I did find some chafing on main harness that lies on the Driver side VC ... sleeved each wire and taped op the harness good .... I did wedge the Connectors under the VC .... Put it all back together and ran the truck and the Dropped bank seems ok but now I have the shuts off after a few mins of idle ....or even driving down the road ..... So on to the CPS .... Changed it out with a new ford dark blue one ...... no change ..... Now I know I had read somewhere than low oil could starve the HP Reservoir but i'm a 5000 mile oil change guy and never in 50 years have had an issue with oil ...I always check and watch OP gauge ... motor showed 3/4 gauge OP ...But what the hey .... I pulled the stick and it was bone DRY! I think I had chest pains ! ...So checked my little blue book and boom .... been 10K mile and 2013 when I last changed the oil .....very embarrassing ... added 3 quarts and showed on low side of stick .... ran the motor just to see ...and still fired right up but after idle of 3-4 mins shuts off .....So ... Off to wally world and 15 fresh quarts of Rotella ..... Still shuts off ...... So now what? I do have new fuel filter ...but haven't changed it yet .... Sorry to be so long winded but wanted to lie it all out on the bench .... thanks otf (mike)

Old 04-11-2017, 07:28 AM
offthefront
New User
update: Changed fuel filter...bowl full of fuel and no water .....no change .... runs few minutes and shuts off .... will start right back up ....

Old 04-11-2017, 07:33 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,438 Likes on 2,839 Posts
Do you have a can of compressed air you can cool off the IPR with by turning the can upside down and spraying it for a few seconds? If the IPR is going bad, when it heats up it will shut the truck down. Then when it cools it will run fine until it heats up again.

What about your ICP sensor? Have you tried to unplug it and run like that to see what happens? That is a free test.

Are you getting good fuel pressure? The truck may be supplying enough to start and idle, but when the demand for fuel goes up the pump could be failing.

Do you have a way to monitor the trucks sensors like Forscan or TorquePro?

Old 04-11-2017, 02:25 PM
offthefront
New User
Do you have a way to monitor the trucks sensors like Forscan or TorquePro?
I did receive a OBDLink LX today and it showed no codes ...then started the truck ..had a lot of Romp_Romp then smoothed out ran 2-3 mins and shut off ...ran the scan tool again and will not connect to the truck ... says connected to BT device but cant connect to ECU .... then I tried to start truck and starts but no run ....Pulled OBDLink and fired right up ...let it idle for 20 minutes or so with no isssues ... Tried OBDL again and still wont connect to ECU or run .... Pull OBDL and fired right up ....

One thing I did not Disclose is that this truck had a chip (reprogram?) when it was new from the dealer ...or they had it done for Original Owner .... I cant remember the name of the Company ...but I think back then it was not a plug in Chip but a reprogram of ecu and the stock tune would be stored in the "chip" so you could swap back to stock ...but original owner said he didnt get a stock tune chip to keep ....only way now is to get a dealer to reinstall to stock?

Old 04-12-2017, 08:50 AM
offthefront
New User
Originally Posted by Sous

What about your ICP sensor? Have you tried to unplug it and run like that to see what happens? That is a free test.
Bingo ... (maybe?) .... Unpluged ICP Sensor and idled 20 min w/no shutoff ...

Question .... Huge range of price on ICP Sensor ...use Ford OEM?

Old 04-12-2017, 08:54 AM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
ALWAYS use Ford OEM sensors!

I know... that one is an expensive one. I suggest getting one from Riffraff Diesel.

Old 04-12-2017, 09:35 AM
offthefront
New User
Originally Posted by andym
ALWAYS use Ford OEM sensors!

I know... that one is an expensive one. I suggest getting one from Riffraff Diesel.

202.00 Local Ford Price .... Riffraff 146.00 !! nice ..... Amazon has them from 16.00 up ..... read some of the reviews ...ouch ... from DOA to 6 months ......one guy had the sensor blow out at 70mph on the interstate ....said the sensor was embedded in the hood pad !!!!

Old 04-12-2017, 10:14 AM
Glowplugger
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by offthefront
202.00 Local Ford Price .... Riffraff 146.00 !! nice ..... Amazon has them from 16.00 up ..... read some of the reviews ...ouch ... from DOA to 6 months ......one guy had the sensor blow out at 70mph on the interstate ....said the sensor was embedded in the hood pad !!!!

Just a tip, sometimes your ford dealership will price-match. Find the lowest price you can on the internet and tell them about it and you can pick it up today without waiting on shipping

Old 04-12-2017, 11:16 AM
offthefront
New User
Originally Posted by Glowplugger
Just a tip, sometimes your ford dealership will price-match. Find the lowest price you can on the internet and tell them about it and you can pick it up today without waiting on shipping
Great Idea ... ended up getting from Amazon ... 152.00 ... be here tomorrow ... should be OEM ... they are building 3 huge distribution centers here in jax ... then will be same day delivery ...

Old 04-12-2017, 02:39 PM
Rikster-7700
Fleet Mechanic
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by offthefront
Great Idea ... ended up getting from Amazon ... 152.00 ... be here tomorrow ... should be OEM ... they are building 3 huge distribution centers here in jax ... then will be same day delivery ...
You're in Jax too? The Amazon thing is going to make my addiction ordering from them even worse now.....😞

Old 04-12-2017, 05:28 PM
Glowplugger
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You guys are lucky. Amazon just started hitting us for sales tax (for stuff on the internet, wtflip?) so I had to quit shopping there. I have to use Ebay for all my stuff now.

Old 04-12-2017, 05:41 PM
offthefront
New User
Originally Posted by Glowplugger
You guys are lucky. Amazon just started hitting us for sales tax (for stuff on the internet, wtflip?) so I had to quit shopping there. I have to use Ebay for all my stuff now.
If its shipped by Amazon we do pay tax ..... but still .... more and more next day delivery ..... hard to beat ....