2019 - 2023 Ranger Everything about the new 2019-2023 Ford Ranger.

Question of the Week: Does the next Ranger need a manual transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 09:15 PM
Patrick R.
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question of the Week: Does the next Ranger need a manual transmission?

The Ford F-Series doesnt come with a manual transmission option anymore, but neither do most of the competitors in the full size truck segment.

On the other hand, the midsized truck segment still has popular models with a manual transmission option, so when coupled with the fact that the current,
"foreign" Ranger comes with a third pedal - it seems possible that our new Ranger will have a manual option.

With that in mind, do you think that the 2019 Ford Ranger should come with a manual transmission? Share your thoughts in the thread below!

Old 04-06-2017, 07:38 AM
Christian's1988Ford
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Ideally, I think it 'should' come with a manual transmission, to appeal to the widest range of buyers possible. Do I think it will? No.

Since the 2015 F150 came out, no Ford truck has the option of a manual. It just doesn't seem like Ford would go to the trouble of using a transmission that's rapidly declining in popularity.

Old 04-06-2017, 12:24 PM
02FX4Dude
Senior User
I think the traditional manual transmissions are being replaced with automatic transmissions that can be manually shifted. Paddle shifting has been out for years on some cars.

The current F150's, and I'm assuming some of the other Ford's available, have an automatic transmission which can be shifted manually. So replace the stick shift with +/- (up/down) buttons and no clutch to operate. The Raptors bump it up a notch by making the +/- buttons into "paddles" on the steering wheel, but basically the same.

One could assume similar setup could go into the new Ranger and Bronco if Ford decides to.

Old 04-07-2017, 06:52 PM
Frdtrkrul
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Yes if should if it wants to be competitive with the current market. Tacoma, Frontier, Colorado twins have a 5 or 6 speed manual available as an option or is the standard and you have to pick automatic. The 2011 Ranger left with a manual, the revamp should have it as an option behind a V6 and not an enemic I4 maybe the diesel too if that's coming.

Old 04-08-2017, 11:41 AM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
It would be nice with the diesel, but not with the gas. Driving a vehicle with a manual transmission and electronic throttle is an exercise in frustration. A truck may be better than the cars I've driven, but still they intentionally move the throttle slowly to reduce emissions spikes.

Old 04-09-2017, 12:08 PM
Frdtrkrul
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Ford_Six
It would be nice with the diesel, but not with the gas. Driving a vehicle with a manual transmission and electronic throttle is an exercise in frustration. A truck may be better than the cars I've driven, but still they intentionally move the throttle slowly to reduce emissions spikes.
I see no difference with drive by wire and drive by cable with a manual. I've done both and it's not that bad. If anything, its that clutches don't engage the same on every vehicle.

Old 04-09-2017, 11:13 PM
kelwar
Senior User
I sure hope it is released with a manual transmission. I would have bought a new f150 or superduty if I could get a manual. My current truck (2009 f350 crew cab) is starting to get tired and I'm ready to replace it but I want another truck with a manual transmission as I personally can't stand automatics.

Old 04-10-2017, 06:03 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So, just to have a handshaker you're going to go from a 350 to a Ranger? Is the 350 just serious overkill or what?

Old 04-11-2017, 06:28 AM
Frdtrkrul
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by rollerstud98
So, just to have a handshaker you're going to go from a 350 to a Ranger? Is the 350 just serious overkill or what?
Probably wanted a truck with a manual back then and maybe the F350 was all they had. Couple years ago I looked at F250s from 99-2010 because I wanted a manual. That was only because it was 4wd and not in a small truck. Trying to find one in an F150 is pretty hard especially one with the 4.6.

Old 04-11-2017, 11:56 AM
kelwar
Senior User
Originally Posted by rollerstud98
Yes the F350 is over kill for what I need. An f150 would be a great fit for me and I would have bought a f150 if I could get a 5.0 with 6 speed manual. When I first went to an f250 (7.3 manual) it was because well the price was right and I could get better fuel mileage and than my brother with his 4.0L ranger and diesel was about 15% cheaper. I replaced that truck with the f350 and only went up to the 350 because it was optioned how I wanted and was the only newer truck with a manual I could find keep in mind I didn't buy either new. It all depends I guess on what the ranger is like when it is released. If I could get an economical pickup that has a manual, 4x4, can haul at least 4 and has a bit of a pay load I think I would be happy. Sounds crazy I know......

Old 04-11-2017, 12:04 PM
Turd-250
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Q: do I think that the 2019 Ford Ranger should come with a manual transmission?
A: YES! I also think they should have a diesel option and a v8 gas option...but that's just me

Old 04-13-2017, 06:02 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Preferably I would like to see a manual trans; but like others have said, I doubt the US market will see it with a manual. The other markets where the Ranger is currently sold, manual transmissions are still quite popular. American drivers are for the most part, lazy. Many Americans either don't know how to drive a standard, or simply don't want to. It is true that the Tacoma and Colorado both still offer a manual, but in all likelihood you're not going to find one at a dealership. I know the Colorado offers it only with the base 4-cylinder and 2wd. I don't think they sell many in that configuration.
My previous truck was a 2006 F-150 that I ordered new with the 5-speed. I specifically wanted the manual trans so I had to take the V6 and 2wd with the regular cab. It was a great truck and I loved it! Fortunately I like the "stripper" work truck. 2008 was the last year Ford offered the '150 with a manual. Only available with the 4.2 V6 and 2wd, only in the regular cab XL work truck. When I sold it last year, I had a very hard time selling it because no one wanted the manual. I had to settle for a ridiculously low price because of the way it was optioned. Fortunately when I bought the truck I knew going in that I was going to keep it for a long time. Re-sale value was not a factor for me. When I bought the truck, I remember most salesmen looking at me like I was from a different planet because I asked for a stick-shift! One dealership even refused to deal with me at all. They were afraid that they were going to eventually be stuck with a vehicle they couldn't sell. If Ford does offer the new Ranger with a manual, most dealerships simply are not going to stock any in their inventory. If you want the manual, the sales guy will do his best to sell you an automatic instead.

Old 04-14-2017, 05:16 PM
DOHC
Senior User
Yes the new Ranger base model should be peppy and fun to drive and have a shorter throw 6spd manual with 6th being the only overdrive gear. It should be the standard transmission with the automatic as an option in the base model.

Old 04-15-2017, 11:34 PM
surfcraft
Junior User
Can't stand automatics

Old 04-16-2017, 06:18 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Considering everything that I can do with my 2011 six speed auto, I'm not seeing the benefit. But, it's more about choices and with that, the manual should be offered.

Quick Reply: Question of the Week: Does the next Ranger need a manual transmission?