2019 - 2023 Ranger Everything about the new 2019-2023 Ford Ranger.

Question of the Week: Does the next Ranger need a manual transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 08:37 AM
Banjo picker1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I say manual as option for all trucks!

Originally Posted by Patrick R.
The Ford F-Series doesnt come with a manual transmission option anymore, but neither do most of the competitors in the full size truck segment.

On the other hand, the midsized truck segment still has popular models with a manual transmission option, so when coupled with the fact that the current,
"foreign" Ranger comes with a third pedal - it seems possible that our new Ranger will have a manual option.

With that in mind, do you think that the 2019 Ford Ranger should come with a manual transmission? Share your thoughts in the thread below!

I definitely think so! I'd love to see manual 4x4 as an option for all their trucks! I'm currently considering looking for an '80's or '90's f/250/350 just for the sake of the manual 4x4!

Old 04-18-2017, 11:18 AM
Red2003XLT
Senior User
I'm sure they will have a manual option. Ford talks about a US spec Ranger but the accountants will say use the parts bin and that includes a manual option.

A Ranger the 2/3 turbo and 5 speed is great DD.

Old 04-18-2017, 02:19 PM
80broncoman
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ford_Six
It would be nice with the diesel, but not with the gas. Driving a vehicle with a manual transmission and electronic throttle is an exercise in frustration. A truck may be better than the cars I've driven, but still they intentionally move the throttle slowly to reduce emissions spikes.
Easy fix build them with a throttle cable.

I'll cast a vote for a Stick shift.

Old 04-28-2017, 04:57 PM
GOOSEBOY78
New User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i will answer the big question. yes it will be comming out in diesel and yes you can have manual 6 speed. its the same engine shared with the ford transit.

i think ford is developing the F-150 with diesel so that all their trucks can have the option... thats why they gave themselves the 2019 date.

Old 05-03-2017, 01:31 PM
GVS
Senior User
Originally Posted by 02FX4Dude
I think the traditional manual transmissions are being replaced with automatic transmissions that can be manually shifted. Paddle shifting has been out for years on some cars.

The current F150's, and I'm assuming some of the other Ford's available, have an automatic transmission which can be shifted manually. So replace the stick shift with +/- (up/down) buttons and no clutch to operate. The Raptors bump it up a notch by making the +/- buttons into "paddles" on the steering wheel, but basically the same.

One could assume similar setup could go into the new Ranger and Bronco if Ford decides to.
My '06 F250 came with a manual 6 speed and manual everything else too.Just the way I ordered it.Nearly 100770 mi. and lots of rust but I'm hanging on to it.Wife says to me "when are you buying a new truck?"I say "I'm not, I'm ordering a new Mustang convertible".It'll have a 6 speed manual and the 5.0 L.Supposed to be in at the end of May.Fingers crossed!
It galls me to no end that a work truck can't be gotten with a manual x/mis.

Old 05-03-2017, 01:38 PM
GVS
Senior User
Originally Posted by 80broncoman
Easy fix build them with a throttle cable.

I'll cast a vote for a Stick shift.

What you have to do is release the throttle just a tick before releasing the clutch.They shift nicely that way.Of course thats on an upshift.On down shifts do it the way you've always done it.

Old 05-03-2017, 03:36 PM
GOOSEBOY78
New User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
the problem with flappy paddles is they belong in F1 not road cars. and unless your wailing on the mechanical gadget its overkill if your driving around normally.

the ford falcon has tiptronic (manually shifting auto) and its fun. but it doesnt really really replace a manual transmission

Old 05-03-2017, 07:26 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 02FX4Dude
I think the traditional manual transmissions are being replaced with automatic transmissions that can be manually shifted. Paddle shifting has been out for years on some cars.

The current F150's, and I'm assuming some of the other Ford's available, have an automatic transmission which can be shifted manually. So replace the stick shift with +/- (up/down) buttons and no clutch to operate. The Raptors bump it up a notch by making the +/- buttons into "paddles" on the steering wheel, but basically the same.

One could assume similar setup could go into the new Ranger and Bronco if Ford decides to.

An automatic with a manual option is not the same thing as a true manual transmission. The flappy paddles, for example, do not necessarily shift gears. They merely convey your intentions to the transmission, then the Control Module decides if it wants to obey your wishes or not. I have the Select-Shift in my F-150, and I have seen several times when I put the lever into Manual mode and "suggest" to the tranny which gear I want to be in, and if the brain decides that gear is not appropriate, then it will not do it. The indicator on the dash will sit there and flash at me saying, "Nope! Don't want to!" This is not giving me full control over the truck. This is merely an illusion of control. Ford apparently does not seem to realize that there is a difference.

Old 05-08-2017, 06:06 PM
02FX4Dude
Senior User
Originally Posted by Pgh Rebel
An automatic with a manual option is not the same thing as a true manual transmission. The flappy paddles, for example, do not necessarily shift gears. They merely convey your intentions to the transmission, then the Control Module decides if it wants to obey your wishes or not. I have the Select-Shift in my F-150, and I have seen several times when I put the lever into Manual mode and "suggest" to the tranny which gear I want to be in, and if the brain decides that gear is not appropriate, then it will not do it. The indicator on the dash will sit there and flash at me saying, "Nope! Don't want to!" This is not giving me full control over the truck. This is merely an illusion of control. Ford apparently does not seem to realize that there is a difference.
That's interesting, I can put in manual and select any gear at any speed. I can start from a stop in 2nd or 3rd (handy on ice), or go to 55 in 2nd. Other than my motorcycle I've only driven a few cars/trucks with manuals. Other than the methods of shifting the big difference I see with a manually shifted auto is the TC unlocking at shifting, and it seems to unlock if you try to lug.

Old 05-08-2017, 06:48 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I've been driving manual transmissions all my life and I can tell you there is a big difference in the way they work. A true manual doesn't have a torque converter at all, it has a clutch instead. Hence the 3rd pedal on the floor. My Select-Shift will let me start out in 2nd, but I doubt very much it would let me hold 2nd all the way up to 55 mph. Not that I would try it anyway. I like to keep the rpm's down to conserve fuel.

Old 05-10-2017, 10:26 AM
wheelerfreak
Tuned
Received 97 Likes on 60 Posts
I'd like a manual trans and 2.5ish liter 4 cylinder 4x4 mini as the next Ranger to replace my current Toy mini truck. That's not gonna happen though so I just need to get used to that fact. I think the next one will not have a true manual trans, at best an auto with the ability to be manually shifted at the discretion of the trucks ECU.