1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

In tank fuel pump 84 f150 info needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 07:05 PM
Montync
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In tank fuel pump 84 f150 info needed

I have a 1984 f150 302 with an aftermarket efi. I have installed an inline fuel pump but they keep burning up. Anyone know what year sender has an in tank "helper" pump that would fit my 84 f150 side tank? I have 2 tanks one side mount and one behing the axle. I have searched but cannot find a definite answer.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:15 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,723 Likes on 1,394 Posts
The tanks with the electric pumps inside had the larger hole. So you may need to get another fuel tank.

The 460 equipped trucks usually had low pressure electric fuel pumps in the tanks. The very early 302 efi trucks also had a low pressure in tank pump, with a booster pump on the frame rail.

These setups also had a return line system, so the sending unit will have two hard line connections, be larger for the big hole tanks, and have the accommodation for the electric fuel pump.

Why are your pumps burning up? There has to be some reason, there are a lot of vehicles running around with that setup that work fine. What type/brand of fuel pump are you running and what brand model efi?

Old 02-24-2017, 07:21 PM
Montync
Senior User
Mine origianlly had a mechanical fuel pump.
The efi I am running is a fitech efi.
The inline pump on it is an e2000 pump.
The pump is mounted below the tank.
I believe it is burning up due to the fact I have no pump in tank.

​​​​​​​Mine has a morso return line setup on the filler neck.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:30 PM
Franklin2
I think you are right, here are the instructions for that pump, they are putting it inside the fuel tank.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1YZdpKccvS.pdf

Why not buy a fuel pump designed to be mounted on the frame rail? I know holley makes them.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:52 PM
Montync
Senior User
The e2000 came with everything to be mounted to the frame rail. If i remember correctly it outflows the fitech unit.. Looks almost the same
https://m.summitracing.com/parts/fif...UZgaAu508P8HAQ

I went with it because of cost..

my issue may be that its starving for fuel.. On hard turns and accelerating I have always gotten a stumble.

my guage reads 30%

If I go really easy on the throttle truck is fine.. If I start trying to accelerate from cruise I get real bad missfire.. I added a little fuel and the missfire lessened.. These are the plugs after..

Old 02-24-2017, 08:04 PM
Franklin2
How much pressure does your system run? If you did get a tank that was designed for a in tank pump, they usually have a sump/baffles that help keep fuel at the pump at all times.

If you need high pressure, the later model Ford fuel injected trucks had one high pressure pump in the tank. One problem with this though. The sending units after 86 will not work with a 86-dwn fuel gauge.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:46 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
The sending units I have are made to add a pump. So why couldn't you add a high pressure in-tank pump if that's what you need?

Old 02-24-2017, 09:34 PM
Montync
Senior User
The system runs on 43 psi.. The pump moves 100+ psi. The only thing I can figure it the pump is failing or sucking in air on acceleration.. Gary do you sell the sending units that fit a stock 84 f150 302 tank? Or where and how would I go about it? Both my tanks are stock and have no return on the sender.

Old 02-25-2017, 06:51 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I'm just a Ford fan, like you, and don't have anything to sell as they are going to be used in either Big Blue or Dad's truck.

But, one of mine is LMC #43-4084 and has the spot for a pump. It has 4 pins on the connector, with two for the sender and two for the pump. There's a clamp to hold the pump, but no pump. So, if you can find a high-pressure pump that will fit in the clamp, or can modify the clamp to hold the right pump, then it should work.

However, as has been pointed out, the tanks with pumps had a larger hole/bung. In fact, at some point all the tanks changed to have a large opening. So you will have to replace your tank if you want to put the pump inside.

I have the sending unit part numbers here, although you may want to go aftermarket: Fuel Senders & Pumps - ???Gary's Garagemahal. And the tanks are here: Fuel Tanks - ???Gary's Garagemahal.

Old 02-25-2017, 06:57 AM
Franklin2
Originally Posted by Montync
The system runs on 43 psi.. The pump moves 100+ psi. The only thing I can figure it the pump is failing or sucking in air on acceleration.. Gary do you sell the sending units that fit a stock 84 f150 302 tank? Or where and how would I go about it? Both my tanks are stock and have no return on the sender.
Both your tanks? You are running two with that external pump? How do you have that setup and what type of switching valve are you using? Are you returning to both tanks or just one? Are you using a 6 port switching valve?

Old 02-25-2017, 08:10 PM
Montync
Senior User
Originally Posted by Franklin2
Both your tanks? You are running two with that external pump? How do you have that setup and what type of switching valve are you using? Are you returning to both tanks or just one? Are you using a 6 port switching valve?
I was going to run a y barbed fitting and install a manual valve on each tank line.. only thing is with those pumps they say install it close to the tank.. the rear tank would have a good 4-5 feet before the pump I am sure it would burn up then.

As for my pump now I think it is fine but I have bigger issues..

That posesed HEI "cheap" piece of !!! distributor may have siezed.

The mechanical advance wont move without force.. The reluctor looks like it is rubbing on the pickup coil and there is some mettal fuzz on the pickup coil.

Truck ran fine up until I tried to get it to shift into overdrive and test the passing gear, when testing for overdive I noticed what felt like 4th grabing but it didnt.. Then the passing gear I felt the front end raise let off the gas and it acted like it wanted to stall.

let it sit overnight.. retorqued valve body bolts, went to test and the sputter started... Today the module died replaced it and that one died for about 20 min then started working. then I noticed the coil pickup.

How would a binding pickup and reluctor cause white plugs? I know a plug to hot will turn white, a lean plug will turn white/grey.. Its not getting above 14.4 on the afr.. Even if I clean the plugs and let it idle for 20 min and the afr reads 13.2-4 the plugs will still read white all of them...