2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Speed limiter OFF

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 11:25 PM
Alex Latifi
New User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Speed limiter OFF

Does anybody know how to remove the speed limiter? Can the Forscan tool do that or do I need an EZLynk or something along those lines? Thanks

The following users liked this post:
Old 02-17-2017, 11:28 PM
MagneticTiger
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Alex Latifi
Does anybody know how to remove the speed limiter? Can the Forscan tool do that or do I need an EZLynk or something along those lines? Thanks
That's really dangerous and you shouldn't do it. I don't think you can, anyway.

Old 02-17-2017, 11:34 PM
Alex Latifi
New User
Originally Posted by homeschool74
So so dangerous, I mean so dangerous it's insane. Almost hard to even comprehend how dangerous it is! O please go sit at the kids table. Anybody with some real knowledge? Thanks

The following 2 users liked this post by Alex Latifi:
Old 02-17-2017, 11:37 PM
DingusKhan
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Seriously? It could be dangerous... in heavy traffic, or pulling a load. There are plenty of places it wouldn't be dangerous. I was really disappointed it stops at 95mph. I too would like to disable that function.

Old 02-17-2017, 11:39 PM
MagneticTiger
Senior User
So so dangerous, I mean so dangerous it's insane. Almost hard to even comprehend how dangerous it is! O please go sit at the kids table. Anybody with some real knowledge? Thanks
I'm pretty sure that most guys here will agree with me. These trucks aren't meant for speed, plain and simple. I appreciate your level of maturity about someone with a differing opinion other than your own. Very classy. Enjoy your truck! I'll enjoy mine from the kids table.

Old 02-17-2017, 11:44 PM
MagneticTiger
Senior User
Originally Posted by DingusKhan
Seriously? It could be dangerous... in heavy traffic, or pulling a load. There are plenty of places it wouldn't be dangerous. I was really disappointed it stops at 95mph. I too would like to disable that function.
I genuinely can't imagine a scenario where 8,000 lbs of truck needs to go over 95 miles per hour.

Old 02-18-2017, 12:00 AM
DingusKhan
Senior User
I genuinely can't imagine a scenario where 8,000 lbs of truck needs to go over 95 miles per hour.
I can. Done it dozens of times. Feels great at 130mph. My 300C feels good at 175-180mph, don't want the truck anywhere near that speed. The S1000RR was crazy fun at 190mph. Fastest I've ever gone on the ground. Different strokes for different folks.

Old 02-18-2017, 12:03 AM
MagneticTiger
Senior User
Originally Posted by DingusKhan
I can. Done it dozens of times. Feels great at 130mph. My 300C feels good at 175-180mph, don't want the truck anywhere near that speed. The S1000RR was crazy fun at 190mph. Fastest I've ever gone on the ground. Different strokes for different folks.
I love speed in vehicles made for speed. I like taking the 5.0 GT out and hitting the highway as much as the next guy. But a truck, with tires not made for it, that high off the ground, with that much weight, with the handling characteristics that it has, and roll prone, is a bad idea, in my opinion.

Old 02-18-2017, 12:11 AM
DingusKhan
Senior User
I love speed in vehicles made for speed. I like taking the 5.0 GT out and hitting the highway as much as the next guy. But a truck, with tires not made for it, that high off the ground, with that much weight, with the handling characteristics that it has, and roll prone, is a bad idea, in my opinion.
Tires; I'll check the speed rating on the Michelins, but in short burst it doesn't matter that much. Ratings are for sustained speeds of more than 30 minutes.
roll prone; straight roads only, don't turn. Don't take it to a track day
Like I said, there is a right time and a wrong time to drive fast.

Old 02-18-2017, 12:12 AM
Kingofwylietx
Fleet Mechanic
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
I can. I guess the OP can also imagine at least one. I suppose, to do it safely, you'd need to use tires with a higher speed rating.

I can't answer your question.

A situation where I needed to go over 95mph: I was driving along a 4 lane highway (2 lanes in each direction) in Texas. While I have no idea what set him off, a crazy person in tractor truck (front part of an 18-wheeler) tried twice to run me off the road. I ended up with my left tires in the median and my right tires on the pavement at 70 mph (the speed limit where we were). He even tried to chase me down, we got up to around 85 and he looked to still have a little speed left in him. Inhad no intention of letting him get next to me again. I had my .45, but I wasn't looking to have a shootout. I kicked up into the triple digits and stayed there for about 10 minutes. The story is longer than that, but it is certainly an example of a situation where being able to use speed enabled me to put distance between me and a nutcase.

Old 02-18-2017, 01:03 AM
Louisville Joe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 113 Likes on 84 Posts
I am sure someone has or will soon have a reflash to remove the top speed governor. Of course it will very likely void your warranty.

Seriously, neither the tires or suspension on these things is good for 95 m.p.h., let alone any more.

Old 02-18-2017, 06:19 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,049 Posts
No, I don't know how to do it.

Besides checking the tire speed rating, also check the driveshaft for critical rotational speed. If you exceed it you have a second or two to get back below that speed before this happens:

Old 02-18-2017, 08:20 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,606 Likes on 1,640 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
No, I don't know how to do it.

Besides checking the tire speed rating, also check the driveshaft for critical rotational speed. If you exceed it you have a second or two to get back below that speed before this happens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZXBjVIrR08
Thank you!!! There is more to going fast than what some people realize!!! Although I have seen some speed in my 2014 Mustang GT, but if my understanding is correct, even the GT is speed limited around 150 MPH; probably for the reason shown in your video!!!

Old 02-18-2017, 08:31 AM
Snakedriver
Junior User
I believe the whole restriction thing just goes agains the American ethos. I will remove the restictor on my 17 just as I did with my 12. Why? Just cause.

Leo

The following 2 users liked this post by Snakedriver:
Old 08-01-2019, 09:21 PM
2002gilmore
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you ever come up with any way to turn off speed limiter?

Quick Reply: Speed limiter OFF