1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5th Wheel Prep Installation

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 07:48 AM
thomabb
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by lebondj1
First post here- I just installed in my F350 a couple weeks ago. Give yourself around 3 hrs. The kit consist of the center section (massive), 2 angles, plastic bed plugs, and bolts. They provide bolts, nuts for replacing the bed bolts and for the puck pieces. The bed does need to be lifted about 3-1/2" minimum to slip the center piece in. I took all the bed bolts out and pried/blocked each side of the bed to get the height. Instruction also say to disconnect some wire connections and remove the fuel inlet connections. I did neither and had no problem getting the height. I also cheated and put the same bolts back in the bed. They seemed pretty tight to me. you have to assemble everything loosely lower the bed, make adjustments, raise the bed, tighten and torque the frame parts, then replace the bed. I just made a special tool to access the center peice frame bolts so I didnt reaise the bed again. I ran out of time as it was getting dark and the truck is my only transpotation so left the prep kit loose and tightened the bed down. After making a special tool I went back and tightened everything up. I would have been cheaper and easier to have made it part of the buying process but didn't think of it.

This is what I am looking for! Just to confirm, you installed the Ford kit (BC3Z-SF057-A)?

Old 01-20-2017, 07:51 AM
thomabb
Cargo Master
If the bed bolts come with the kit, then they must be TTY bolts. It is interesting that the aftermarket installers aren't replacing the bed bolts.

Old 01-20-2017, 08:13 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by thomabb
This is what I am looking for! Just to confirm, you installed the Ford kit (BC3Z-SF057-A)?
You have a bit of a typo, but this is the correct part number that you need:

BC3Z-5F057-A

Old 01-20-2017, 08:30 AM
thomabb
Cargo Master
Yep, that S is a 5. My handwriting and my eyeballs are both showing age...

Old 01-20-2017, 08:34 AM
lebondj1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yes this number BC3Z-5F057-A bought online for $450 including shipping
factory center piece with angles

Last edited by lebondj1; 01-20-2017 at 08:35 AM. Reason: added text
Old 01-20-2017, 08:41 AM
lebondj1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
forgot to mention- T50 and T60 torx PLUS bits needed. good luck finding those. Ended up getting mine from grainger.

Old 01-20-2017, 09:35 AM
thomabb
Cargo Master
So that center "H" frame is one piece? I think the Reese kit is sectional.

Old 01-20-2017, 09:37 AM
thomabb
Cargo Master
Reps sent! Welcome to the Brotherhood.

Old 01-20-2017, 11:22 AM
bobv60
Fleet Mechanic
Received 67 Likes on 46 Posts
So that center "H" frame is one piece? I think the Reese kit is sectional.
That is what I seen also. The center was bolted on in the a reese kit

Old 01-20-2017, 11:31 AM
thomabb
Cargo Master
Scraprat, the one picture you posted has an "alert number" on it. This means there was something different with that particular part that made it "not to print", but the Ford engineers approved it for use. I have access to the system that tracks alerts. I will try to look up that number.

Found it. The manufacturer temporarily changed the top coat for some reason.

Old 01-20-2017, 11:53 AM
Y2KW57
Received 3,343 Likes on 1,751 Posts
Originally Posted by Pocket
Just to clear things up.... and I think I know where the confusion comes from.

First, the Ford Accessories prep kit is exactly identical, and is in fact the very same part that is installed if ordered at production.

As far as comparison to the Reese stuff. Reese belongs to Cequent Brands, who manufactures the prep package for Ford, and nearly all other trailer hitches for other Ford vehicles.

The kit that Ford uses is based on the Reese Elite Underbed Gooseneck. This is in fact very different from the Reese Elite 5th wheel mount kit, which is I'm sure the confusion in this thread is coming from. So if you're comparing the Ford kit to the Reese 5th wheel prep, then yes you are absolutely correct that they are completely and totally different.

Now is the Ford kit exactly identical to the Reese Elite Underbed Gooseneck? No, there are a few modifications. But now you know what it's based on. And as I said earlier, it's in essence a re-branded Reese.

Hopefully now this straightens up the confusion.

I think most of us know the difference between a 5th wheel and a gooseneck.

How do you know that Reese manufactures the prep kit for Ford? What if Ford only purchases the pucks, tow hooks, gooseneck ball and sleeve, and 5th wheel hitches from Reese, along with paying a license fee for the system, and then manufacturers their own underbed base apparatus, using Ford's vast internal manufacturing capacity, incorporating the design features unique to their own patents?

The following photo of the Reese Elite Underbed Gooseneck AND 5th Wheel Prep kit is self explanatory, when compared to the factory underbed prep kit photo previously posted.

This is a very different design and mounting structure. The difference is even more remarkable when compared in person.

Thanks for confirming that the kit that Ford sells in Accessories ISN'T the same as the Reese kit. That's what I would have been worried about, because if I had a Ford pick-up, I wouldn't would want the Reese Elite prep kit when Ford offers such a better one.

Old 01-20-2017, 12:46 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
And here is a photo of the Hitch Prep Kit from Ford. Looks the very similar to me. Ford is a fully welded version. The Ford hitch is now rated for 27.5K might make the difference than the 25K Ford used in the past...

https://accessories.ford.com/5th-whe...p-package.html

This photo is from the Ford Accessory Site.

Old 01-20-2017, 07:00 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
I think most of us know the difference between a 5th wheel and a gooseneck.
Yes I realize that.

However, Ford's kit accepts both.

If you're just looking at Reese and the 5th wheel prep.... it's just for a 5th wheel only. That's why I said in my post that if you're trying to compare the 5th wheel Reese prep to the Ford prep, they are completely different animals altogether.

How do you know that Reese manufactures the prep kit for Ford?
Because it's part of my job.

What if Ford only purchases the pucks, tow hooks, gooseneck ball and sleeve, and 5th wheel hitches from Reese, along with paying a license fee for the system, and then manufacturers their own underbed base apparatus, using Ford's vast internal manufacturing capacity, incorporating the design features unique to their own patents?
Because when Ford and Ford's distributors/warehouses orders the prep package, it's submitted to and shipped directly from Cequent..... which is in fact Reese for all practical purposes here.

Ford doesn't make it. Ford does specify how it's supposed to be made, but Ford doesn't make it.

Again it's my job, that's why I know this.

The following photo of the Reese Elite Underbed Gooseneck AND 5th Wheel Prep kit is self explanatory, when compared to the factory underbed prep kit photo previously posted.

This is a very different design and mounting structure. The difference is even more remarkable when compared in person.
Look again at the picture you posted, and then look at the picture that Strokin posted.

They are actually very similar. Keep in mind I never said they were the same. In fact, my post that you quoted I stated that the Ford kit is modified. One modification that was pointed out already is the center piece is welded in the Ford kit, bolted in the Reese kit.

I also said that the Ford kit is "based" on the Reese Elite gooseneck underbed prep. Same concept, similar design, but not exactly the same part.

Yes my first post I said re-badged Reese, because it really is. But it's also a forum and I really don't like going into long rambling boring explanations. I get boring easy and put people to sleep in a hurry.

Thanks for confirming that the kit that Ford sells in Accessories ISN'T the same as the Reese kit. That's what I would have been worried about, because if I had a Ford pick-up, I wouldn't would want the Reese Elite prep kit when Ford offers such a better one.
Your welcome. Anyone would be hard-pressed to find a beefier setup than the Ford one. I agree with you that the Ford prep kit is one of the superior products out there. Yes it's expensive, but well worth the money too.

Old 01-21-2017, 10:41 AM
The Bone
Cargo Master
Received 228 Likes on 164 Posts
I installed my B&W hitch myself. It is simple to install. You dont have to lift up the bed. You dont have to unbolt anything. It all installs from under the truck. I have the spray in bed liner so removing the bolts was not good for me. I did have to natch where the fender is spot welded to the bed which isn't much of a big deal. I painted everything so it wouldn't rust. I also painted the hole I cut into the bed. I was 64 when I did mine last year.

Attached Images        
Old 01-21-2017, 10:46 AM
The Bone
Cargo Master
Received 228 Likes on 164 Posts
More photos
Now if you are installing air bags you will want to install them first because some of the bolts go behind the side plates. if you go with the ford kit looks like you dont.

Attached Images   

Quick Reply: 5th Wheel Prep Installation