1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5th Wheel Prep Installation

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 11:57 AM
thomabb
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
5th Wheel Prep Installation

I asked this question over in one of the towing forums but it isn't getting much traffic, so I will ask here. Has anyone installed the Ford factory 5th wheel prep package? Ford sells the kit and it looks like the Reese Elite one (it probably is the same one). This doesn't look too complicated to install but I would love to hear from anyone who has actually done it.

Old 01-19-2017, 12:25 PM
kansas gary
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't do it myself. I had my dealer install it. I did notice they put new bed bolts in. They also had my truck all day just don't know if they worked on all day though.

Old 01-19-2017, 03:17 PM
thomabb
Cargo Master
What did they charge you to install? Ford service labor rate last time I checked was over $90/hr.

Old 01-19-2017, 03:56 PM
kansas gary
Senior User
Actually it didn't cost me a thing.... When I bought the truck before I signed the papers I told them they have to install it or no deal........... Took about 2 weeks to get it in but hey as much as these things cost every bit saved helps.........

Old 01-19-2017, 04:01 PM
thomabb
Cargo Master
The kit is $545 retail, add in probably 4 hours of labor and that puts you in the $1k ballpark. Not a bad last minute throw in.

Old 01-19-2017, 06:17 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,350 Likes on 1,755 Posts
Originally Posted by thomabb
Ford sells the kit and it looks like the Reese Elite one (it probably is the same one). This doesn't look too complicated to install but I would love to hear from anyone who has actually done it.

I wouldn't assume the Ford kit is the same as the Reese Elite kit. The Ford production hitch prep is definitely much different than the Reese Elite kit. The pucks end up in the same locations, but the structure of the production kit, and the integrated factory bracketry and frame attachment hardware design, are very different from the Reese Elite kit, even though the pucks end up in the same place, and the prep kits function the same way, taking the same hitches.

On the other hand, the Ford ACCESSORIES hitch prep kit may very well be identical to the Reese Elite kit. Just like Ford ACCESSORIES alarm kits and remote start kits are often similar to aftermarket alarm kits... nothing like their integrated factory production counterparts built into trucks that were optioned that way.

So while it is probable that a Ford ACCESSORIES (consumer stuff sold after the fact at the dealer) hitch prep kit is the same as an aftermarket Reese Elite kit, know that a true Ford PRODUCTION hitch prep kit is a different animal altogether.

Keep this in mind when determining the difficulty of installation, as well as the integrity of fit and function. IMHO, the factory production prep kit is far and away a superior piece of hardware than the aftermarket kit sold after the fact, no matter whose name is on the box it comes in. Some folks have installed a factory production hitch prep kit. I don't know if they ordered it piece meal through the parts department, or if Ford actually makes the production set up available as a kit. If Ford does, that would be great.

If you post a photo of the kit you are considering, I can recognize the difference immediately, and will be glad to identify which one is which.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:50 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
I wouldn't assume the Ford kit is the same as the Reese Elite kit. The Ford production hitch prep is definitely much different than the Reese Elite kit. The pucks end up in the same locations, but the structure of the production kit, and the integrated factory bracketry and frame attachment hardware design, are very different from the Reese Elite kit, even though the pucks end up in the same place, and the prep kits function the same way, taking the same hitches.

On the other hand, the Ford ACCESSORIES hitch prep kit may very well be identical to the Reese Elite kit. Just like Ford ACCESSORIES alarm kits and remote start kits are often similar to aftermarket alarm kits... nothing like their integrated factory production counterparts built into trucks that were optioned that way.

So while it is probable that a Ford ACCESSORIES (consumer stuff sold after the fact at the dealer) hitch prep kit is the same as an aftermarket Reese Elite kit, know that a true Ford PRODUCTION hitch prep kit is a different animal altogether.

Keep this in mind when determining the difficulty of installation, as well as the integrity of fit and function. IMHO, the factory production prep kit is far and away a superior piece of hardware than the aftermarket kit sold after the fact, no matter whose name is on the box it comes in. Some folks have installed a factory production hitch prep kit. I don't know if they ordered it piece meal through the parts department, or if Ford actually makes the production set up available as a kit. If Ford does, that would be great.

If you post a photo of the kit you are considering, I can recognize the difference immediately, and will be glad to identify which one is which.
Actually..... this is not true. Sorry if you heard incorrect information, but let me set it straight and help.

The prep kit installed at factory (actually installed at the Ford Mod Center) is the exact same one sold as the Ford Accessories prep kit.

It's in essence the Reese Elite, re-branded to Ford. Make no mistake, it's an extremely beefy setup. No comparison to B&W, Curt, etc. It's insanely heavy duty.

This also is the same for almost all other accessory add-ons available both production and dealer.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:44 PM
bobv60
Fleet Mechanic
Received 67 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Pocket
Actually..... this is not true. Sorry if you heard incorrect information, but let me set it straight and help.

The prep kit installed at factory (actually installed at the Ford Mod Center) is the exact same one sold as the Ford Accessories prep kit.

It's in essence the Reese Elite, re-branded to Ford. Make no mistake, it's an extremely beefy setup. No comparison to B&W, Curt, etc. It's insanely heavy duty.

This also is the same for almost all other accessory add-ons available both production and dealer.
my resurch showed the Reese kit was much lighter duty. I have the ford FACTORTY kit off a wrecked truck. The ends where is bolts to the frame is cast steel. The Reese kits seems to be just regular formed mild steel. I only have only gone by the pictures of the Reese kit, never seen one in person.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:17 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,502 Likes on 1,307 Posts
Not great pics but this is the factory hitch from underneath it looked pretty stout.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:46 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,350 Likes on 1,755 Posts
Originally Posted by Pocket

Sorry Curtis, I didn't "hear" any incorrect information. I have seen the factory production hitch prep kit first hand, and I OWN the Reese Elite kit. First hand. I didn't "hear", I KNOW there is a difference between the two. Furthermore, I read the patent for Ford's production version. In fact, there are two Ford production versions, both separately patented.

What I DON'T know, and what I clearly stated that I don't know, is if the Ford Accessories version of the hitch prep kit is the same as the production kit, or the same as a Reese Elite kit. I would have believed you if you stated that the Ford Accessories kit is the same at the Ford production kit, but then you stated that these were the same as the Reese Elite kit. Since I KNOW that isn't true, I'm going to wait until I see an actual Ford Accessories kit before I'll know whether or not they are the same or different as a factory production kit.

Like I said before, all the kits will fit the same Reese Elite, Reese Signature (previous to Elite, when the puck system was introduced, before Ford adopted it) and Ford Accessories HITCHES, which ARE the same as Reese Elite hitches. But the OP isn't talking about the hitches... the OP is talking about the apparatus that holds the hitches under the bed.

I agree with you in that the Ford production apparatus is robust and has the best attachment interface with the Ford pickup frame. I disagree that the Reese Elite underbed apparatus is as robust as the Ford version. And I disagree that either the Reese or the Ford make a better hitch above the bed than the B&W. I would argue that the B&W gooseneck is better at the ball also, although the B&W underbed attachment system isn't as good as the factory Ford.

I would also not so easily discount Curt hitches either. Curt is producing more product in the USA than Reese or Ford in the hitch department. And B&W is made 100% in the USA.

Old 01-20-2017, 07:33 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Just to clear things up.... and I think I know where the confusion comes from.

First, the Ford Accessories prep kit is exactly identical, and is in fact the very same part that is installed if ordered at production.

As far as comparison to the Reese stuff. Reese belongs to Cequent Brands, who manufactures the prep package for Ford, and nearly all other trailer hitches for other Ford vehicles.

The kit that Ford uses is based on the Reese Elite Underbed Gooseneck. This is in fact very different from the Reese Elite 5th wheel mount kit, which is I'm sure the confusion in this thread is coming from. So if you're comparing the Ford kit to the Reese 5th wheel prep, then yes you are absolutely correct that they are completely and totally different.

Now is the Ford kit exactly identical to the Reese Elite Underbed Gooseneck? No, there are a few modifications. But now you know what it's based on. And as I said earlier, it's in essence a re-branded Reese.

Hopefully now this straightens up the confusion.

Old 01-20-2017, 07:36 AM
thomabb
Cargo Master
https://accessories.ford.com/exterio...p-package.html

Part number BC3Z-5F057-A.

Scraprat, the one picture you posted has an "alert number" on it. This means there was something different with that particular part that made it "not to print", but the Ford engineers approved it for use. I have access to the system that tracks alerts. I will try to look up that number.

Ford is selling this part number on Amazon. Someone left a comment there that the bed just needed to be loosened and lifted a couple inches, not completely removed.

Old 01-20-2017, 07:37 AM
lebondj1
New User
First post here- I just installed in my F350 a couple weeks ago. Give yourself around 3 hrs. The kit consist of the center section (massive), 2 angles, plastic bed plugs, and bolts. They provide bolts, nuts for replacing the bed bolts and for the puck pieces. The bed does need to be lifted about 3-1/2" minimum to slip the center piece in. I took all the bed bolts out and pried/blocked each side of the bed to get the height. Instruction also say to disconnect some wire connections and remove the fuel inlet connections. I did neither and had no problem getting the height. I also cheated and put the same bolts back in the bed. They seemed pretty tight to me. you have to assemble everything loosely lower the bed, make adjustments, raise the bed, tighten and torque the frame parts, then replace the bed. I just made a special tool to access the center peice frame bolts so I didnt reaise the bed again. I ran out of time as it was getting dark and the truck is my only transpotation so left the prep kit loose and tightened the bed down. After making a special tool I went back and tightened everything up. I would have been cheaper and easier to have made it part of the buying process but didn't think of it.

Old 01-20-2017, 07:39 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
I would also not so easily discount Curt hitches either. Curt is producing more product in the USA than Reese or Ford in the hitch department. And B&W is made 100% in the USA.
Everyone has their opinion, mine is based on an experience from a few years ago. Off topic I know but just sharing a little event....

We have an F-450 that goes around the country pulling a 20,000 lb Powerstroke demo trailer. It's a gooseneck. For some reason the truck was ordered without the factory prep package. And for some other reason the delivering dealer didn't install the Ford version, but instead put a Curt gooseneck in.

2 years and about 65,000 miles later, the Curt hitch broke right by the frame. Completely snapped, and sent the trailer through the bed of the truck.

We ripped out the Curt hitch and put the Ford unit on. The difference between the two kits was enormous.

That's how I got sold on using the Ford prep package.

What's ironic is that on my personal truck, I put a Curt adjustable ball on the rear. Because it was the heaviest capacity adjustable ball that I could find on the market. It has worked great.

Anyway..... back on topic.......

Old 01-20-2017, 07:45 AM
thomabb
Cargo Master

I looked at Curt Mfg. I don't see an under-bed installation offered by them. You can buy their 5th wheel hitches with the legs that fit the Ford puck system.

Quick Reply: 5th Wheel Prep Installation