1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

1995 F350 Build page

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 08:55 AM
ZachH
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 F350 Build page

Ok, so I’ve been saying for a while that I would start a build page for my truck and am going to try to go over everything.
I bought the truck September of 2015 for $2800 with 367,671 miles it was about 1-1.5 hours to where it was at. Checked everything over (had a friend come with me because at the time I knew nothing about diesels and almost nothing about any other vehicle), everything checked out good besides a code for the TPS. Bought the truck and started heading home, once on the highway it started losing power. I couldn’t get over 55mph and could only get there if I was really careful not to get it over 2,000 rpm. If I did get it over 2k it would lose power and drop down to about 10mph… Stopped a couple of miles down the road to see if adjusting the TPS would help any, and that’s when it decided to go out. So my Dad went to see if he could find one at 8:30 in the evening… he ended up having to drive about 20 minutes away to find one. We got that changed out and headed down the road still having the power loss issue, and that’s when the signal lights went out. So no signal lights, and no going over 55 mph if I could get it up that high with my Dad driving behind with the hazard lights on. Took us about 5 hours to get home between swapping the TPS out and driving slow.

Here it is the night that we picked it up.

And the next morning.

I’m pretty sure that the power loss issue was due to low oil pressure, I’m surprised that it ran at all. When I went to change the oil it was 6-7 quarts low… that’s one thing that we didn’t check when we went to pick it up.

Here are the links to some of my other threads going over issues that I’ve had:
“Hickup” (engine cutting out) due to faulty CPS, replacing with a motorcraft sensor fixed the issue
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-high-rpm.html
Turbo removal, rebuild, and Freakify mod
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...oval-help.html
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...akify-mod.html
Injector replacement (Rosewood 160/0)
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...r-removal.html
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...r-install.html
HPOP replacement with T500
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...placement.html

Besides that before FTE I replaced my lift pump, took me 10 hours between having to pull the lines off of the back of the heads with the turbo on because I couldn’t get the banjo bolt off and broke the bottom of the pump off in the block. Tip: don’t take out the two bolts that hold the pump down before trying to get the banjo bolt off…

Ended up soaking the pump in B12 all night and still couldn't get the banjo bolt out so I put it in a vise, stood on it, and used a hammer and the wrench to get it off.

I've done the glowplugs twice (due to using cheap autolites the first time and not doing my research, have motorcraft in there now). I only have 7 working glowplugs though because #4 (I think, second from the front drivers side) is fused to the head. The end is actually broken off and the top was screwed back on because it wouldn't even come out using compression so I just left it.

Mods:
160/0 Rosewood injectors
T500 HPOP
1.0 exhaust housing, WW2, freakify mod on turbo
TS6 with custom tunes from Tony Wildman
Banks monster exhaust (waste of money due to lack of research)
6637 intake
Riffraff intake boots
Warn manual hub conversion
BB mod
Glowshift gauges (need to install)

In the past month or so I have replaced the water pump, done a coolant flush, and replaced the alternator. I'm currently trying to figure out a squeaky pulley that started after doing the water pump.

And here's some more pics:

Dad and I working on it right after I got it.

Delivery for work, before 4x4. had to handle all of that three times that day to get it where it was going...

Truck and trailer

3 cubic yards of garden dirt.

Didn't sink the suspension much.

Another delivery for work

Stuck in the mud before I fixed the 4x4

Had to get the Excursion to pull me out

Not a good idea to try to get through without 4x4

Old 01-18-2017, 09:10 AM
ZachH
Senior User
Here's some more recent pictures:

Got my light bar installed and wired up.

Makes a huge difference.

Another delivery for work.

Old 01-18-2017, 09:11 AM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
Received 890 Likes on 675 Posts
Ditch the BB mod and get a new spring, mine bent to the side and made less pressure after a while.

what I bought
Ford Powerstroke Fuel Pressure Regulator Spring 7.3 FPR F250 F350 95, 96 Diesel | eBay

nice truck and thanks for the repair history on it

I have a hit list in to work on in the spring on mine

Old 01-18-2017, 09:18 AM
ZachH
Senior User
What does your fuel pressure run with the new spring?

Old 01-18-2017, 09:51 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
not the lightbar...

At least you didn't make holes in the cab like most. Good on ya for that.

Old 01-18-2017, 09:55 AM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,192 Likes on 818 Posts
Nothing better than a good build thread great job man.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:02 AM
ZachH
Senior User
Originally Posted by BBslider001
not the lightbar...

At least you didn't make holes in the cab like most. Good on ya for that.
I'm looking for a good deal on a headache rack and I'm going to move the light bar to the back. That's why I went with the no-drill mounts, and I'm going to put a shorter one down on the bumper for driving. I just wanted to get it mounted so I could use it, got the light bar for $50 from a friend and the harness for $12 so I'm in fairly cheap.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:06 AM
ZachH
Senior User
Originally Posted by z31freakify
Nothing better than a good build thread great job man.
Thanks, I've learned a ton thanks to Google and ya'll. I want to thank everyone that has helped me since I got it. I don't think I would've done everything that I did without ya'll's help. Probably would've ended up paying more than twice what I have if labor was included, I few months I figured up that I had saved around $5k in labor and I've done more to it since.

Old 01-18-2017, 07:52 PM
Auxbeam Lighting
Junior User
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ZachH
Here's some more recent pictures:

Got my light bar installed and wired up.

Makes a huge difference.

Another delivery for work.

Nice work!

Old 01-18-2017, 07:54 PM
ZachH
Senior User
Thanks! Plus some extra because thanks isn't long enough.

Old 01-18-2017, 08:19 PM
Pigpen1
Senior User
I think the light bar goes awesome with that truck. i would get a egt gauge in there ASAP. I know those mods are awesome but they also could melt that engine. Keep up the good work and great photos.

Old 01-18-2017, 08:30 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,192 Likes on 818 Posts
Those lights are great in farm country like where I live theres hardly any lighting on the back roads.

Old 01-18-2017, 09:09 PM
ZachH
Senior User
Originally Posted by Pigpen1
I think the light bar goes awesome with that truck. i would get a egt gauge in there ASAP. I know those mods are awesome but they also could melt that engine. Keep up the good work and great photos.
Thanks! I definitely need to get that egt gauge and probe installed, just have to find/make the time to do it. I just keep the chip in stock for now and don't get on it much. Any tips for install? I know put the probe on the drivers side exhaust manifold not the dp. Any tips before drilling the manifold? angle, things to be careful about, etc.?

Old 01-18-2017, 09:11 PM
ZachH
Senior User
Originally Posted by z31freakify
Those lights are great in farm country like where I live theres hardly any lighting on the back roads.
Same here besides those solar driveway marker lights and the glow in the distance from town there are no lights out where I'm at.

Old 01-18-2017, 09:15 PM
ZachH
Senior User
Originally Posted by Pigpen1
I see that you have TW tunes, what do you think of them? I have them too and don't really care for them... they're way to smokey. In the economy tune going up a hill it will lightly smoke if I don't stay out of the pedal and will smoke pretty good if I get on it. In extreme pulling out of a county road onto a four lane highway I floored it and pretty much blacked out the whole road... I've been keeping it in stock for now to see what kind of difference it makes on mileage.

Quick Reply: 1995 F350 Build page